Cityplace in Santa Ana

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
anything new about this place? Our bid was turned down, the check sent back in the mail without any kind of friendly, "thanks" or "sorry but we still think we should get 2007 prices....."

If you really want one of these units, please just hang tight. The builder is going to lose soon, they are just waiting on their debts being called in. I can't understand why you would want to wait for 2007 prices, you will get much better. Many people I have talked to believe that they have to follow some rules for minimum price right now, but it will change soon.

Last weeks well-publicized gangland shooting at the busy intersection right outside CityPlace, with the 18 year old dead gangster crashing his Cadillac into the mall planter across the street from these condos, can't be doing much to help sales here. It just shows how close CityPlace is to the gang infested neighborhoods of Santa Ana.

Just a couple days before that gang killing in the street outside the mall, I went to MainPlace for the first time in a long time to run an errand. The clientele of that mall was noticeably "urban", rather rough around the edges, and quite different from other major malls in OC. The mall itself was looking a bit run down and out of style, which didn't help the vibe there. I didn't feel unsafe on that visit, but I didn't feel exactly comfortable either. I thought to myself <em><strong>"I don't think I need to come back to MainPlace anytime soon</strong></em>". Then a couple days later there's a gang shooting in the street outside the mall, and that sealed the deal for me on not returning to MainPlace.

[quote author="tmare" date=1235919352]If you really want one of these units, please just hang tight. The builder is going to lose soon, they are just waiting on their debts being called in. I can't understand why you would want to wait for 2007 prices, you will get much better. Many people I have talked to believe that they have to follow some rules for minimum price right now, but it will change soon.</blockquote>
I totally agree. I was saying the sellers want 2007 prices. and the gang shooting affirmed my suspicions about the location.

I saw some "scratch-iti" graffiti carved into the glass of one of the vacant units. It's been there for at least a half year. You'd think removing this would be a priority for the seller (as it probably doesn't help sales), but I guess not.

[quote author="Drosselmeyer" date=1236605347]I saw some "scratch-iti" graffiti carved into the glass of one of the vacant units. It's been there for at least a half year. You'd think removing this would be a priority for the seller (as it probably doesn't help sales), but I guess not.</blockquote>

My wife made a similar comment at Lennar's Santiago Lofts. I believe one of their models had a break-in over a year ago. After we revisited the model, it appears to have some water stains on the ceiling and entire wall. She thought it was odd that they didn't do a better job patching things up. In Lennar's defense, I believe Prudential owns the model.

[quote author="dizzle" date=1236597763][quote author="tmare" date=1235919352]If you really want one of these units, please just hang tight. The builder is going to lose soon, they are just waiting on their debts being called in. I can't understand why you would want to wait for 2007 prices, you will get much better. Many people I have talked to believe that they have to follow some rules for minimum price right now, but it will change soon.</blockquote>
I totally agree. I was saying the sellers want 2007 prices. and the gang shooting affirmed my suspicions about the location.</blockquote>

It all depends on which unit you are referring to (lofts, park, or courtyard). We went to check out the Courtyards a week ago and there is only one Courtyard 5 model unit left and i'm betting it's already taken. There seemed to be no room for negotiating the price down as this was the last unit left (until they release the model).

I am very familiar with CityPlace. The murder across the street at the Mainplace Mall was a drug lord related homicide. Certainly it will add to the crime statistic. I live in the northern part of Santa Ana and often frequent downtown for restaurants and driving through the other parts of the city. I am known for being observant and certainly very keen of criminal activities because I was a victim many times growing up in LA.

From my personal experience I do not feel my livelihood is in danger. My office was in Downtown and for several years I left my office late after 12:00 am and it was not a problem. Gangs are targeting gangs and their acts are specifically targeting an individual just like the Chinese guy in the white Lexus in Irvine.

Burglaries and thefts are everywhere in good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. Some cities would actually hide that from the public. It is usually the home owners who left many opportunities for the criminals. Criminals often choose their vulnerable victims. Being alert and be smart are the best deterrent no matter where you live.

Cityplace is not for everybody. Santiago Park across the street is a free amenity for the 3 projects. HOA is very low since there are no pools and club house. As far as the problem out in the parking lot I have not seen any and I do frequent Cityplace daily. The retail and housing do have a security guard on bike patrol as protective measure.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1236755138]I am very familiar with CityPlace. The murder across the street at the Mainplace Mall was a drug lord related homicide. Certainly it will add to the crime statistic. I live in the northern part of Santa Ana and often frequent downtown for restaurants and driving through the other parts of the city. I am known for being observant and certainly very keen of criminal activities because I was a victim many times growing up in LA.

From my personal experience I do not feel my livelihood is in danger. My office was in Downtown and for several years I left my office late after 12:00 am and it was not a problem. Gangs are targeting gangs and their acts are specifically targeting an individual just like the Chinese guy in the white Lexus in Irvine.

Burglaries and thefts are everywhere in good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. Some city would actually hide that from the public. It is usually the home owners who left many opportunities for the criminals. Criminals often choose their vulnerable victims. Being alert and be smart are the best deterrent no matter where you live.

Cityplace is not for everybody. Santiago Park across the street is a free amenity for the 3 projects. HOA is very low since there are no pools and club house. As far as the problem out in the parking lot I have not seen any and I do frequent Cityplace daily. The retail and housing do have a security guard on bike patrol as protective measure.</blockquote>

SHHHH!! Bk, we don't want everyone to know our little secret. I am perfectly content letting everyone believe what they want to believe about our little paradise. Little do they know that many of us don't even lock our own front doors, it could be that we just forgot where we put the key a few years ago or that locking and unlocking a door is a bit too much hassle for some of us. Anyway, quit ruining our SA reputation.

[quote author="tmare" date=1236755461][quote author="bkshopr" date=1236755138]I am very familiar with CityPlace. The murder across the street at the Mainplace Mall was a drug lord related homicide. Certainly it will add to the crime statistic. I live in the northern part of Santa Ana and often frequent downtown for restaurants and driving through the other parts of the city. I am known for being observant and certainly very keen of criminal activities because I was a victim many times growing up in LA.

Burglaries and thefts are everywhere in good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. Some city would actually hide that from the public. It is usually the home owners who left many opportunities for the criminals. Criminals often choose their vulnerable victims. Being alert and be smart are the best deterrent no matter where you live.

Cityplace is not for everybody. Santiago Park across the street is a free amenity for the 3 projects. HOA is very low since there are no pools and club house. As far as the problem out in the parking lot I have not seen any and I do frequent Cityplace daily. The retail and housing do have a security guard on bike patrol as protective measure.</blockquote>

SHHHH!! Bk, we don't want everyone to know our little secret. I am perfectly content letting everyone believe what they want to believe about our little paradise. Little do they know that many of us don't even lock our own front doors, it could be that we just forgot where we put the key a few years ago or that locking and unlocking a door is a bit too much hassle for some of us. Anyway, quit ruining our SA reputation.</blockquote>

You and Mrs BK are very bad for never locking your doors. I have to send both of you to Trooper's safety seminar.

[quote author="Bunny rabbit" date=1237801249]Does anyone have the latest price for Courtyard Plan 6 or 7?</blockquote>
supposedly they are sold out? I'm really trying hard to believe that since we were there a month and a half ago they are down to the last one. Good for them if thats the case. They outsmarted most of the market.

Sort Sale, interesting. I guess that dress shop didn't work out. I would think that would be a hard sell, considering the developer still has these Plan B units for sale at $510,000. Which many people, including myself, still think is overpriced.

[quote author="Drosselmeyer" date=1237920340]Sort Sale, interesting. I guess that dress shop didn't work out. I would think that would be a hard sell, considering the developer still has these Plan B units for sale at $510,000. Which many people, including myself, still think is overpriced.</blockquote>

The dress shop is at a bad feng shui location. Some traffic leaving the parking lot making a right turn have their headlight shining at this unit. Between the front door aligning with stairs and headlights this unit is destined to have difficulty in business. I feel bad for the owner of Hanna Bean.

I do feel badly for her. Looks like she spent <strong>a ton of money</strong> on the furnishings, flooring, appliances, custom cabinetry, etc. And upon closer inspection, she was really living large on a shopkeepers budget. She's got the ego-boosting $2,100 washer/dryer set when the more humble $700 set gets clothes just as clean and just as dry. The furniture looks like spendy Room&Board; custom pieces to me, or maybe some stuff from Ethan Allen's urban loft line. That furniture had to cost a fortune. And the 20 foot silk custom made drapery to hang next to the industrial roll up door? YIKES!

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/111-E-City-Place-Dr-92705/home/17471556

This is Santa Ana after all, in a dying strip mall. I'm not sure how a business case could be made for spending money on all of those expensive upgrades, all the deluxe appliances and giant TV, and all the fancy accesories and custom surfaces. It's a dress shop in a middle class neighborhood in a dying strip mall, and she's putting on a little show like she's made of money. How odd.

[quote author="MightyAlweg" date=1237946631]I do feel badly for her. Looks like she spent <strong>a ton of money</strong> on the furnishings, flooring, appliances, custom cabinetry, etc. And upon closer inspection, she was really living large on a shopkeepers budget. She's got the ego-boosting $2,100 washer/dryer set when the more humble $700 set gets clothes just as clean and just as dry. The furniture looks like spendy Room&Board; custom pieces to me, or maybe some stuff from Ethan Allen's urban loft line. That furniture had to cost a fortune. And the 20 foot silk custom made drapery to hang next to the industrial roll up door? YIKES!

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/111-E-City-Place-Dr-92705/home/17471556

This is Santa Ana after all, in a dying strip mall. I'm not sure how a business case could be made for spending money on all of those expensive upgrades, all the deluxe appliances and giant TV, and all the fancy accesories and custom surfaces. It's a dress shop in a middle class neighborhood in a dying strip mall, and she's putting on a little show like she's made of money. How odd.</blockquote>

And this mentality, is exactly why we're all currently in a recession.

Harvey handbags made from safety belt strap material into a basket weave pattern is doing quite well along Main Street. Hanna Bean owns the handbag store and her fashion boutique store. She has 2 live work lofts at City Place. She is selling the one that faces into the parking lot. The wider units have been all sold out facing the retail parking lot. The one buried at the back and along Memory Lane are not the desirable ones. Most are not owner occupied and purchased primarily for business use only. I still think the location is not viable for retail due to limited ground floor space as well as the lack of visibility of signage.

However, I think it is an excellent location for recession related businesses such as expensive brand handbag and stiletto consignment store.

Last year we went to look at CityPlace and I stopped in to look at the Hannah Bean store. She had a small selection of largely overpriced items and while I browsed she spent the whole time on a personal phone call to a friend and barely acknowledged myself or another customer who walked in after me. I have worked in retail for over 20 years and I am always amused when small boutiques expect to sell overpiced items unless they are offering something different than the chain stores...and that would be customer service. Since retail sales have dropped I have seen a dramatic rise in better customer service in mall stores rather than the typical gum cracking, snotty teen who feels you should be priveleged and happy he or she chose to ring you up! One upside to the downturn in the economy!

Back