Cityplace in Santa Ana

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
[quote author="kim_eric" date=1242268242][quote author="tkaratz" date=1242267030]kim_eric,

buy the home, it's at a low price right now and it will probably go up. Also, it's a good place to start a yogurtland or something. We need more of those. Easy money.</blockquote>

Thank You for your advice, but I got approved by another home loan for 4.5 APR but CityPlace refused and ask me to go with their wellsfargo with 5.25 APR approval .</blockquote>

wow, you won

if you really want the cityplace condo, just use the lender who approved you to purchase the unit. you aren't required to use cityplace's lender.

[quote author="kwong7" date=1242265676]

3) Parking is not a factor since we have two small compacts, but we like to entertain and were concerned that if others in the neighborhood like to entertain at the same instance, parking can be incredibly scarce.

</blockquote>

just fwiw, i've been to four or five parties on the weekends in one of the lofts in front, and parking has never been a problem. we parked along the lane right in front, or in the retail parking just next to that.

even if you picked a time when the retail lot was full (i've never seen it), your guests could park across the street in the Main Place mall parking lot and walk the 1 block back (even in The OC, i hear people have legs)

[quote author="tkaratz" date=1242273097][quote author="kim_eric" date=1242268242][quote author="tkaratz" date=1242267030]kim_eric,

buy the home, it's at a low price right now and it will probably go up. Also, it's a good place to start a yogurtland or something. We need more of those. Easy money.</blockquote>

Thank You for your advice, but I got approved by another home loan for 4.5 APR but CityPlace refused and ask me to go with their wellsfargo with 5.25 APR approval .</blockquote>

wow, you won

if you really want the cityplace condo, just use the lender who approved you to purchase the unit. you aren't required to use cityplace's lender.</blockquote>

Yes, I use my ditech but at last they said ditech not close on time and I has to use wellsfargo else I lose my deposite ..... I has talk to ditech loan officer and we try to take back the deposite from them as we has a witness.

I think they must return my deposite or they must go with ditech loan. But for now....my concern is: The Mothers market don't have enought customer as everybody knowning that.......If the mothers market close then that place will become Asian market or Mexican market ?

Thanks for your advice.

[quote author="kim_eric" date=1242279681][quote author="tkaratz" date=1242273097][quote author="kim_eric" date=1242268242][quote author="tkaratz" date=1242267030]kim_eric,

wow, you won

if you really want the cityplace condo, just use the lender who approved you to purchase the unit. you aren't required to use cityplace's lender.</blockquote>

Yes, I use my ditech but at last they said ditech not close on time and I has to use wellsfargo else I lose my deposite ..... I has talk to ditech loan officer and we try to take back the deposite from them as we has a witness.

I think they must return my deposite or they must go with ditech loan. But for now....my concern is: The Mothers market don't have enought customer as everybody knowning that.......If the mothers market close then that place will become Asian market or Mexican market ?

Thanks for your advice.</blockquote>

City Place is not an ideal location for Asian market. Bisno is trying to build a yuppy brand with his retail mix. His rent is too high which will likely deter both Asian and Hispanic markets. Hispanic's shopping habit rely on public transportation and convenience to other hispanic shops, check cashing and money wiring establishments clustering around the same bus stop. This market location is at a lonesome location to attract any ethnic niche demographic.

I hope you know where Floral Park is and this center is a quick convenient stop for FP residents to get their coffee, yogurt and organic goods.

Do you want a Filipino market at this location?

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1242280778][quote author="kim_eric" date=1242279681][quote author="tkaratz" date=1242273097][quote author="kim_eric" date=1242268242][quote author="tkaratz" date=1242267030]kim_eric,

wow, you won

Thanks for your advice.</blockquote>

City Place is not an ideal location for Asian market. Bisno is trying to build a yuppy brand with his retail mix. His rent is too high which will likely deter both Asian and Hispanic markets. Hispanic's shopping habit rely on public transportation and convenience to other hispanic shops, check cashing and money wiring establishments clustering around the same bus stop. This market location is at a lonesome location to attract any ethnic niche demographic.

I hope you know where Floral Park is and this center is a quick convenient stop for FP residents to get their coffee, yogurt and organic goods.

Do you want a Filipino market at this location?</blockquote>

Man BK, you really know your stuff. The super mercado in my neighborhood offers free rides home with your groceries.

[quote author="kim_eric" date=1242279681] But for now....my concern is: The Mothers market don't have enought customer as everybody knowning that.......If the mothers market close then that place will become Asian market or Mexican market ?</blockquote>
<span style="color: purple;">

<span style="font-size: 16px;">NO. It will be vacant.</span></span>

I hear that the Mothers' Citiplace location is meeting expectations, FWIW.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1242264785] <strong>You are lucky you came to IHB for all the right answers and NoVas did not rip you apart.</strong></blockquote>

There is a reason why I didn't, and it's not because k_e doesn't deserve it. And it's not because I don't want to. The advice you gave is sound, particularly about these guys not moving on price. It's full list or see you later. Most of this development will be bank owned when the developers C&D loan terms out.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1242282566][quote author="kim_eric" date=1242279681] But for now....my concern is: The Mothers market don't have enought customer as everybody knowning that.......If the mothers market close then that place will become Asian market or Mexican market ?</blockquote>

I hear that the Mothers' Citiplace location is meeting expectations, FWIW.</blockquote>

Every time I swing by (a couple times a week) Mothers always seems busy to me. Lots of demand for high priced organic food it would seem. Call me a capitalist consumer whore, but I prefer a grocery store I can buy Coke in.

[quote author="Drosselmeyer" date=1242293001][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1242282566][quote author="kim_eric" date=1242279681] But for now....my concern is: The Mothers market don't have enought customer as everybody knowning that.......If the mothers market close then that place will become Asian market or Mexican market ?</blockquote>

I hear that the Mothers' Citiplace location is meeting expectations, FWIW.</blockquote>

Every time I swing by (a couple times a week) Mothers always seems busy to me. Lots of demand for high priced organic food it would seem. Call me a capitalist consumer whore, but I prefer a grocery store I can buy Coke in.</blockquote>

I've been to the Mothers several times too. It always seems like it has plenty of customers to stay open. I've even had to wait in *gasp* a line there.

This thread has certainly attracted some unique characters. Is there some I Hate City Place defacto group out there? Can anyone link me a website or something? Some of the posts are as bad as my Brightwater posts, but I posted with a better understanding of English, and actual construction and development knowledge.

While I don't know much about the City Place development, I've known Bob Bisno for many years so I'm pretty familiar with several of his prior developments. A typical Bisno business model is to raise investment to buy blighted properties for rehabilitation. From historic properties that fell on hard times, like the Shattuck Hotel in Berkeley, to abandoned military housing like Pointe Vista in San Pedro, Bisno has always seen opportunity where others see ghettos. One reason "community activists" don't like Bisno is because usually after Bisno de-ghettofies a property, the original residents can no longer afford to live there. This is the main reason kim_eric should not worry about Mother's being replaced by Gonzales' Northgate Market or Seafood City. One reason I think kim_eric did not get a warm reception to his low ball offer is because Bisno is very determined. I've known Bisno to put significant amounts of his own money into developments to make up shortfalls rather than just walk away leaving investors to hold the bag. This isn't the kind of person who will panic and take low ball offers from kim_eric.

Wow, has this thread become strange. I live very close and while I am skeptical of some of the smaller boutique types of shops and I doubt that McCormick's is doing very well, I think the rest are going to be ok. This center is gradually becoming a part of my life for a few reasons: 1. I live close (I can walk there faster than driving). 2. The nail place is excellent (a bit pricey and a bit pushy, but worth it). 3. The food places are good. 4. Although I'm not a 100% organic food person like one of my neighbors, I do shop at Mother's on occasion.

I've never seen Mother's really empty but I've never waited in back of more than 1 person. It's a niche store but I think it will make it. Personally, I could never really understand anyone having a desire to in those places as your only residence when there is a beautiful neighborhood with homes that actually have character within walking distance. As far as the school district, even in my neighborhood different streets go to different school districts even though the whole neighborhood is in Santa Ana (Santa Ana and Orange), so you'd have to check with the school district (not hard to do, call them and give them the address). As far as your current business decisions, I'd say that you better start surrounding yourself with smarter people and people who have a better grasp of the English language (not meant to be hurtful, just truthful).

BTW, Art Pedroza at the OJB has his own little axe to grind over hating Mother's Market. <a href="http://orangejuiceblog.com/2009/05/will-mothers-market-make-it-in-santa-ana/#comments">Here's</a> to your theory about people's feelings about the place, Graph.

Nice insight about Bisno you have posted High Gravity. Bisno's operation and reputation is at stake here. I would love to see him succeed in his RE venture but I also would like him to sell homes to my fellow price low balling IHB bloggers. From a macro level perspective he is doing the right thing for not selling to the low ball offer buyers.

Eventually his project would fail if he continues to hold prices. He has sold his home to keep his development going. His spirit and intent is being recognized by the city of Santa Ana as a committed partner. I personally hate developers that bail and run and let projects fall apart like Perris, Indio and Victorville. He made a promise to the city and he is honoring his conviction to bring quality retails and class back into the city.

So many in the past have given up on Santa Ana and to an injured city abandonment is another sign of hopelessness like an abused child. Bob Bisno is a SOB in his unwillingness to sell cheap.

Other cities are seeing his valiant effort to endure to the end even his personal asset is being drained day after day. This is the kind of developers cities want for their revitalization effort. Holding prices just like Irvine is a method of brand stabilization. We all have seen neighborhoods decline as builders slash prices. His commitment is his positive testimony for his future endeavor with other cities. Even if he fails with this project he knows that he is not a quitter by walking away when he has the opportunity.

Santa Ana is grateful that he is not leaving a mess behind for the city to pick up. Attracting the right demographic is important for the local civic commerce such as the ballet and museums down the street. Low ball offer buyers are not the city of Santa Ana ideal demographic and they rarely spend money on art and culture. His goal is to attract hip customers like Graph and Cayci who like culture, art and theatre events to enrich their life. He has an obligation to the City and the homeowners of the lofts hold regular open house parties and events trying to bring life back into the city.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242348978]BTW, Art Pedroza at the OJB has his own little axe to grind over hating Mother's Market. <a href="http://orangejuiceblog.com/2009/05/will-mothers-market-make-it-in-santa-ana/#comments">Here's</a> to your theory about people's feelings about the place, Graph.</blockquote>

Figures OJB would bitch about it. That's what they do best over there. I'm sure they would find a way to bitch even if a Trader Joes moved in there. I was tempted to check OJB before I posted my theory, looks like I should have. How much do you wanna bet all the people here who have bitched about City Place here, are just OJBers who googled it and clicked the link to IHB? It reminds me of when the Brightwater employees came to defend their precious property. FAIL!

I'm here discussing it because I'm interested in buying a place there. What I'm not interested in, is paying prices well above market. I wouldn't call this low-balling, I'd call it realism. As I told the sales grumpy sales lady a long time ago "$750,000 goes a long way towards a single family home." (or even the new $510,000 price) Eventually, I won't be able to wait anymore, and I'll break down and buy... But not a City Place loft, a single family home with a lot more square footage.

[quote author="Drosselmeyer" date=1242375688]I'm here discussing it because I'm interested in buying a place there. What I'm not interested in, is paying prices well above market. I wouldn't call this low-balling, I'd call it realism. As I told the sales grumpy sales lady a long time ago "$750,000 goes a long way towards a single family home." (or even the new $510,000 price) Eventually, I won't be able to wait anymore, and I'll break down and buy... But not a City Place loft, a single family home with a lot more square footage.</blockquote>

Correction: Normal people like you who are buying because of price excluded. Only weird strange ones who are afraid they will get shot or Mother's turning into a mercado.

[quote author="Drosselmeyer" date=1242375688]I'm here discussing it because I'm interested in buying a place there. What I'm not interested in, is paying prices well above market. I wouldn't call this low-balling, I'd call it realism. As I told the sales grumpy sales lady a long time ago "$750,000 goes a long way towards a single family home." (or even the new $510,000 price) Eventually, I won't be able to wait anymore, and I'll break down and buy... But not a City Place loft, a single family home with a lot more square footage.</blockquote>

If you really want one of these properties............don't give up. Once the C&D loan terms out you'll get your chance at about $125 a foot or less.

I shop at Asian markets as well as the Mercados all over my neighborhood. I do not mind it at all. I like the diversities. Many immigrants want to assimilate too soon and do not want to live among the indigents.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1242377301]I shop at Asian markets as well as the Mercados all over my neighborhood. I do not mind it at all. I like the diversities. Many immigrants want to assimilate too soon and do not want to live among the indigents.</blockquote>

Some of us gringos perfer the mercados too. Not so sure about the mercado patrons perfering the gringo.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1242377635][quote author="bkshopr" date=1242377301]I shop at Asian markets as well as the Mercados all over my neighborhood. I do not mind it at all. I like the diversities. Many immigrants want to assimilate too soon and do not want to live among the indigents.</blockquote>

Some of us gringos perfer the mercados too. Not so sure about the mercado patrons perfering the gringo.</blockquote>

Regardless the shopping carts always ended up next to the bus stop bench.

Well, my interest is really starting to wane on this development... Just stopped by again to take a look- Noticed 3 new graffiti tags (one spray paint, one marker, and one scratched into glass). And a squatter. Didn't run into him personally, but the indication was clear: soup cans in the kitchen, used stove, blanket, toiletries in the shower, dirty laundry hanging on the towel racks) Glad to hear the these luxury lofts are finally getting some use!

:)

[quote author="Drosselmeyer" date=1242532726]Well, my interest is really starting to wane on this development... Just stopped by again to take a look- Noticed 3 new graffiti tags (one spray paint, one marker, and one scratched into glass). And a squatter. Didn't run into him personally, but the indication was clear: soup cans in the kitchen, used stove, blanket, toiletries in the shower, dirty laundry hanging on the towel racks) Glad to hear the these luxury lofts are finally getting some use!

:)</blockquote>

Wow. An insta-slum.

Back