The 2020 Presidential Election

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Kings said:
it's early, i'll give you that, but i just don't see his personality being the right fit for taking on someone like el presidente trump.  the american people want someone loud and firey to take on trump - hence the infatuation on the left and in the media with aoc.  remember, the media will be just as responsible, if not more, for propelling yang to the top - just as they did trump.  yang might appeal to intellectuals and might have visions of a future that are inevitable, but  yang needs to invoke emotion in now and not the future for him to be successful, and i haven't really gleaned as much from what i've seen or heard.

I agree with you on his lack of emotional anti-trump rhetoric. He hasn't done particularly well with the hard left because of that. Unfortunately many on the left still haven't figured out that you cannot beat Trump by playing Trump's game.

I would argue that Yang does appeal to the average american who cares about next week and next month, not next decade. These are people who will be drawn to universal basic income.

I do think the characterization of Yang only appealing to intellectuals is mostly made up by mainstream media. I went to his rally in LA and my brother went to his rally in NY (both draw 3K people) and we saw first hand that Yang actually attracts a very diverse group. His supporters do tend to be younger. His campaign said their internal numbers show nearly half of the supporters are either new to politics or previously disengaged. About 25% of Americans are considered politically disengaged.  If Yang can activate enough of them he can win the whole election.

I'm definitely aware that he is still a long shot but there is a path for him.

Kenkoko said:
Kings said:
it's early, i'll give you that, but i just don't see his personality being the right fit for taking on someone like el presidente trump.  the american people want someone loud and firey to take on trump - hence the infatuation on the left and in the media with aoc.  remember, the media will be just as responsible, if not more, for propelling yang to the top - just as they did trump.  yang might appeal to intellectuals and might have visions of a future that are inevitable, but  yang needs to invoke emotion in now and not the future for him to be successful, and i haven't really gleaned as much from what i've seen or heard.

I agree with you on his lack of emotional anti-trump rhetoric. He hasn't done particularly well with the hard left because of that. Unfortunately many on the left still haven't figured out that you cannot beat Trump by playing Trump's game.

I would argue that Yang does appeal to the average american who cares about next week and next month, not next decade. These are people who will be drawn to universal basic income.

I do think the characterization of Yang only appealing to intellectuals is mostly made up by mainstream media. I went to his rally in LA and my brother went to his rally in NY (both draw 3K people) and we saw first hand that Yang actually attracts a very diverse group. His supporters do tend to be younger. His campaign said their internal numbers show nearly half of the supporters are either new to politics or previously disengaged. About 25% of Americans are considered politically disengaged.  If Yang can activate enough of them he can win the whole election.

I'm definitely aware that he is still a long shot but there is a path for him.
"Can we all just get along" is a nice sentiment, but it will not win a nomination in this highly polarized and poisonous political climate.

irvinehomeowner said:
Kenkoko said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So how does a country in debt pay for universal income?
Here is Yang answering your question.
https://youtu.be/cTsEzmFamZ8?t=465

That?s very theoretical and optimistic.

Fed can?t even manage Social Security and healthcare, I?m not for a welfare state.

Sounds like you didn't watch very much of the video but I will try.

Universal Basic Income is not welfare. It's not means tested and it's for everyone.

UBI is also completely different from healthcare and Social Security. Social Security is essentially a forced annuity. Healthcare in America is a Byzantine labyrinth we created by letting the insurance companies and the medical lobby run amok.

UBI is pro small government, which is why it has a lot of support from libertarians.

nosuchreality said:
irvinehomeowner said:

The same way Denmark, Sweden and other pay for all their stuff.  They tax everyone at high rates.

Neither Denmark nor Sweden has an universal basic income.

Yang is actually proposing funding his UBI with a 10% Value Added Tax at half the European level. (Denmark VAT is 25%)

Yang's UBI is a net winner for the bottom 86% of US households.
https://medium.com/basic-income/the...an-andrew-yangs-freedom-dividend-72d3850a6245

Kenkoko said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Kenkoko said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Here is Yang answering your question.
https://youtu.be/cTsEzmFamZ8?t=465

That?s very theoretical and optimistic.

Fed can?t even manage Social Security and healthcare, I?m not for a welfare state.

Sounds like you didn't watch very much of the video but I will try.

Universal Basic Income is not welfare. It's not means tested and it's for everyone.

UBI is also completely different from healthcare and Social Security. Social Security is essentially a forced annuity. Healthcare in America is a Byzantine labyrinth we created by letting the insurance companies and the medical lobby run amok.

UBI is pro small government, which is why it has a lot of support from libertarians.

I watched and read Yang?s website.

My point is that you are having the government handle over $3T in ?revenue? and we are not calculating the overhead to manage that. While it may seem simple to institute VAT, for the scale of the US, that is not an easy measure to pass.

Also, when I talk about theory, I?m referring to the assertions that it will reduce the use of jails, hospitals, institutions etc. They also theorize that it won?t incentivize joblessness but part of the premise is that there will be less jobs due to AI so it will be a factor.

It also mentions other taxes for corporations and pollution which is great, but again, going to be very hard to push through.

Then there is the socioeconomic factor of what can go wrong with people getting an extra $1000/mo. Yang hopes it will go back to the economy but it could also be used for less positive activity like drug use, gambling, you name it. It can also affect cost of living pricing as rents/goods may be raised to ?accommodate? this extra income.

It?s idealogic, but the execution on a scale for a country like the US can?t be data modeled accurately. He mentions all this research but what case study has there been that matches the population, geography and economic scale of the US?

This is like trying to pass The Purge into law. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I watched and read Yang?s website.

My point is that you are having the government handle over $3T in ?revenue? and we are not calculating the overhead to manage that. While it may seem simple to institute VAT, for the scale of the US, that is not an easy measure to pass.

Also, when I talk about theory, I?m referring to the assertions that it will reduce the use of jails, hospitals, institutions etc. They also theorize that it won?t incentivize joblessness but part of the premise is that there will be less jobs due to AI so it will be a factor.

It also mentions other taxes for corporations and pollution which is great, but again, going to be very hard to push through.

Then there is the socioeconomic factor of what can go wrong with people getting an extra $1000/mo. Yang hopes it will go back to the economy but it could also be used for less positive activity like drug use, gambling, you name it. It can also affect cost of living pricing as rents/goods may be raised to ?accommodate? this extra income.

It?s idealogic, but the execution on a scale for a country like the US can?t be data modeled accurately. He mentions all this research but what case study has there been that matches the population, geography and economic scale of the US?

This is like trying to pass The Purge into law. :)

I wondered if you watched it because you ask questions that Yang addressed in the video  ::)

As Yang explained in the video, it isn't 3T new revenue. The largest portion of the funding for his UBI come from cost savings and welfare overlap. The new VAT is just 800 billion. Even the U.S Government of Accountability Office said " GAO found that single-rate, broad-based VAT would promote economic neutrality among goods and services, minimize compliance burdens for the taxpayer, and minimize administrative costs" 

And you missed Yang's point on jobs. His freedom dividend is not meant to be a job replacement. 12k a year is below the federal poverty line. Very few people can thrive on 12K a year. It would not incentize joblessness like you suggested. It's will however raise the floor and help millions of American transition to a future economy with increasingly more automation and AI.

The research you asked  is a study done by the Roosevelt Institute. I will link it below. The study showed a $1k/month UBI expands the US economy by 12.56%.https://rooseveltinstitute.org/wp-c...nomic-Effects-of-a-Universal-Basic-Income.pdf

Here is a pretty good case why UBI would not cause massive inflation.https://medium.com/basic-income/wou...ome-just-cause-massive-inflation-fe71d69f15e7

As for socioeconomic factor, it's unfortunate you only focus on the possible negatives. This would be a game changer for homelessness. We do have that problem here in LA and OC. It would reduce crime and recognize caretakers. It would empower women to leave exploitative jobs and abusive relationships.It would help reverse the scarcity mindset which studies have shown to decrease functional IQ. People will make better decisions if they are not living in financial distress. 

Lastly, big picture, Yang is much more than just the UBI guy. He has over a 100 other well laid out policies besides UBI. I would be net losers financially in his UBI plan, but I still support him because he is much more than that. Many conservatives support him despite hating UBI.

Kenkoko said:
I wondered if you watched it because you ask questions that Yang addressed in the video  ::)

As Yang explained in the video, it isn't 3T new revenue. The largest portion of the funding for his UBI come from cost savings and welfare overlap. The new VAT is just 800 billion. Even the U.S Government of Accountability Office said " GAO found that single-rate, broad-based VAT would promote economic neutrality among goods and services, minimize compliance burdens for the taxpayer, and minimize administrative costs" 

No, I understand about the welfare cost overlap, I'm not talking about where to get the $3T from, it's how they are going to manage it. You keep missing the point that it's additional money that the Fed will be handling and they are not very good at that. Government is very inefficient when it comes to money, that's not a case study, that's a fact.

For example, Yang said accounting for the welfare/jails/institutional overlap, it's probably more like $1.6T that has to be generated from the VAT. But that's just to cover the $1k/mo per person. Did he take into account the overhead from the Fed? Considering how much the Pentagon pays for toilets, we are probably back at the $3T number. :)

Why don't we do the VAT and get rid of our debt first? A better platform would be to reduce Fed fiscal inefficiency.

And you missed Yang's point on jobs. His freedom dividend is not meant to be a job replacement. 12k a year is below the federal poverty line. Very few people can thrive on 12K a year. It would not incentize joblessness like you suggested. It's will however raise the floor and help millions of American transition to a future economy with increasingly more automation and AI.

He talked about that in the video, but his answer to that is theoretical. If you are jobless now and are getting by on unemployment/welfare/etc, how will $1k/month make you go out and get a job? Especially if there are less available if all the robots took them? :)

Joe Rogan softballed that topic.

The research you asked  is a study done by the Roosevelt Institute. I will link it below. The study showed a $1k/month UBI expands the US economy by 12.56%.https://rooseveltinstitute.org/wp-c...nomic-Effects-of-a-Universal-Basic-Income.pdf

Here is a pretty good case why UBI would not cause massive inflation.https://medium.com/basic-income/wou...ome-just-cause-massive-inflation-fe71d69f15e7

Again, theoretical. Your second article is an opinion piece by some guy. I can do the same thing, here is a link to an article about what is wrong with Yang's proposal (and that's just the first one I found):
https://fee.org/articles/andrew-yang-s-math-doesn-t-add-up-on-universal-basic-income/

It also mentions the Roosevelt study and the flaws in the results.

Remember the Great Depresssion? What did people do with that money? How about the tax stimulus handout? Did that really dent anything?

Sure, we can point to Alaska and say it's working for them, but that's only $1k-2k per year so what is it really doing? Of course that really won't affect the economy and people claim that unemployment has not risen, but it hasn't gone down either. And you can't compare the demographics of Alaska to the US. This is why I mention scale as one of the caveats to a program like this.

As for socioeconomic factor, it's unfortunate you only focus on the possible negatives. This would be a game changer for homelessness. We do have that problem here in LA and OC. It would reduce crime and recognize caretakers. It would empower women to leave exploitative jobs and abusive relationships.It would help reverse the scarcity mindset which studies have shown to decrease functional IQ. People will make better decisions if they are not living in financial distress. 

You have to consider the negatives because that's the reality. Yang says that this will help the marginal people most, so that doesn't really address those who are in real need.

The things you are talking about are idealistic. How does it reduce crime? How does $1000/mo empower women? It's not just money that is their issue. I think you are making this $1k sound like a miracle cure when it reality, it will end up being a placebo. Sure, it will help, but not to the extent that Yang (and you) are claiming. That's why I say "welfare state". Unmotivated people will stay unmotivated, even with handouts, it has to be something more than that.

Do you really think $12k/year will do that much for the homeless? Won't they just spend that on food and necessities (or drugs) but still stay homeless?

It should be how (education, job training, etc) not just what (money). I've quoted Ben Franklin before but here it is again:

?I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.?

Maybe it should be at the state or local level. Then people will move to places that have better UBI, that will solve your LA/OC homeless problem quickly (I'm kidding).

Lastly, big picture, Yang is much more than just the UBI guy. He has over a 100 other well laid out policies besides UBI. I would be net losers financially in his UBI plan, but I still support him because he is much more than that. Many conservatives support him despite hating UBI.

I like his other policies but UBI seems to be a tentpole platform for him and I don't think that will work. I could be wrong, and while I would like an extra $1k/mo and would hope it would help more than just the marginal people, I know that just money doesn't make people less lazy, make criminals give up crime, make the mentally ill healthy etc etc.

But back to whether he can take Trump... polling at 2% isn't going to get Yang the nomination. Even if he polls at 5% or 10%, it isn't going to get him in. But let's say he does get in, people like you and me, would vote for Yang, but do you see him swaying anyone who supports Trump?

So just like the Borg and AI, resistance is futile.

I feel like a lot of your opposition is ideology, not Yang specific.

European countries has been going the VAT route for decades and have shown to be an efficient way to tax. The U.S Government of Accountability Office agrees with that.

Both republicans and Dem have shown no regard for the deficit. Yet you want to draw the line at Yang? He is actually proposing a deficit neutral UBI funded by VAT.

The article I linked is by Scott Santens. He is one of the world's lead researchers of Universal Basic Income. I would say he is more than " an opinion piece by some guy"

Your argument about poor people may use UBI for non-productive things is actually the most common conservative argument against UBI. But to that Yang has said his Freedom Dividend is a right of citizenship, it is not welfare. Do we care what shareholders do with their Verizon / Microsoft dividend? I thought conservatives are all about personal autonomy. It's their money. They live with the consequences. Yang made this point with Ben Shapiro and even Ben Shapiro agrees.

You talked about focus on education and re-training. Yang actually agrees with that. But he believes education / retraining should be decided / done by the individual. Giving everyone 12k a year creates better condition for people to would better facilitate that.  Because government retraining is both wasteful and have abysmal success rate ( 0% -15% success rate). Politicians love to use re-training as a talking point but government funded retraining is essentially a myth.

As to your point about people who are getting by on unemployment/welfare/etc, how will $1k/month make them go out and get a job? Yang talked about properly aligning the incentives. Our current welfare system incentives are discouraging people from going out to get a job. Because if they improve their financial situation by working, they get reduced payments or removed from welfare. Under Yang's UBI, they get 1K UBI and keep every dollar they make from getting a job.

If you can stomach more opinion from some guy Scott Santens, this is a good short read that dispels many of things people misunderstand about UBI.
Such as why the bulk of UBI already exists, just hugely inefficiently.https://medium.com/basic-income/wha...t-unconditional-basic-income-ubi-b571af99c50c

Lastly, Yang is the only Dem candidate peeling off Trump supporters. He routinely does shout outs to them at his rallies. If you look at his polling data, he has the highest favorable rating from Republicans among Dem candidates. There are numerous former Trump supporters who are now hardcore Yang Gang.
They even create YT channels and videos to support Yang. You might find this fun.
https://youtu.be/ExOcqqCaVFI
another
https://youtu.be/OnGp50S-rn0

Kenkoko said:
I feel like a lot of your opposition is ideology, not Yang specific.

Maybe. My opposition is more toward execution and effectiveness. None of those studies, including Scott Stantens' can account for the scale of the US. As I mentioned, even the Roosevelt study has flaws.

European countries has been going the VAT route for decades and have shown to be an efficient way to tax. The U.S Government of Accountability Office agrees with that.

Still goes back to scale and size.

Both republicans and Dem have shown no regard for the deficit. Yet you want to draw the line at Yang? He is actually proposing a deficit neutral UBI funded by VAT.

I'm not drawing the line at Yang, I'm just pointing out that if he wants a better platform that might be it if you are saying that it's being disregarded by both parties.

The article I linked is by Scott Santens. He is one of the world's lead researchers of Universal Basic Income. I would say he is more than " an opinion piece by some guy"

Your argument about poor people may use UBI for non-productive things is actually the most common conservative argument against UBI. But to that Yang has said his Freedom Dividend is a right of citizenship, it is not welfare. Do we care what shareholders do with their Verizon / Microsoft dividend? I thought conservatives are all about personal autonomy. It's their money. They live with the consequences. Yang made this point with Ben Shapiro and even Ben Shapiro agrees.

Technically, it's not their money. It's money that was taxed from the people. So there should be some concern about how it's used. That's welfare regardless of how you want to color it.

You talked about focus on education and re-training. Yang actually agrees with that. But he believes education / retraining should be decided / done by the individual. Giving everyone 12k a year creates better condition for people to would better facilitate that.  Because government retraining is both wasteful and have abysmal success rate ( 0% -15% success rate). Politicians love to use re-training as a talking point but government funded retraining is essentially a myth.

I agree that government training, just like fiscal management, is a myth. But so is the assertion that an individual will do that themselves given $1k/mo.

As to your point about people who are getting by on unemployment/welfare/etc, how will $1k/month make them go out and get a job? Yang talked about properly aligning the incentives. Our current welfare system incentives are discouraging people from going out to get a job. Because if they improve their financial situation by working, they get reduced payments or removed from welfare. Under Yang's UBI, they get 1K UBI and keep every dollar they make from getting a job.

Again, I did watch that. But that is theoretical. Did you read the article I linked to? He has some interesting points about what kind of jobs people will look for under UBI. There can be an opposite effect to income subsidy.

If you can stomach more opinion from some guy Scott Santens, this is a good short read that dispels many of things people misunderstand about UBI.
Such as why the bulk of UBI already exists, just hugely inefficiently.https://medium.com/basic-income/wha...t-unconditional-basic-income-ubi-b571af99c50c

But do you even consider the counterpoints? Basically it's he said or she said and no one has definitive proof that UBI will or will not help given the scale of the US.

Lastly, Yang is the only Dem candidate peeling off Trump supporters. He routinely does shout outs to them at his rallies. If you look at his polling data, he has the highest favorable rating from Republicans among Dem candidates. There are numerous former Trump supporters who are now hardcore Yang Gang.
They even create YT channels and videos to support Yang. You might find this fun.
https://youtu.be/ExOcqqCaVFI
another
https://youtu.be/OnGp50S-rn0

This is an empty statement if Yang can't get nominated. And again, the odds just don't favor him for people who are not us (like I said, I would vote for Yang if he made it to the primary).

I do look at drawbacks of UBI. Like any policy proposals, it has pros and cons.

However, I don?t evaluate Yang?s UBI/Freedom Dividend in a vacuum. I compare it to the other alternatives that we are being offered.

If we keep going down the Trump route, it?s not sustainable. We cannot combat the rapidly growing income equality by these tax cuts that benefit mostly shareholders. 50% of bottom Americans owns 0 stock. Bottom 80% of Americans own 7% of total stocks. This is particularly troublesome when you have a future economy that?s increasingly impacted by automation and AI. The winners take all dynamic will only accelerate.

On the Dem side, every single one is for Fed $15 min wage. That?s an actual job killer, much worse than UBI. It?s also harming small businesses and fails to account for the difference in rural economy / states in the interior and costal economy. Things like Bernie's Federal Job Guarantee is a sure path to dystopia.

But if you do not address this economic insecurity driven by rapidly increasing income inequality, this is what you end up with. Like it or not, we are on a path to socialism. Newer data shows that gen z and millennial prefer socialism over capitalism. If we continue down our current path, that is where we are heading.

To me, Yang offers a better alternative to both current Dems and Trump. Yang?s version is better aligned with a future economy increasingly impacted by automation and AI.

Kenkoko said:
I do look at drawbacks of UBI. Like any policy proposals, it has pros and cons.

However, I don?t evaluate Yang?s UBI/Freedom Dividend in a vacuum. I compare it to the other alternatives that we are being offered.

If we keep going down the Trump route, it?s not sustainable. We cannot combat the rapidly growing income equality by these tax cuts that benefit mostly shareholders. 50% of bottom Americans owns 0 stock. Bottom 80% of Americans own 7% of total stocks. This is particularly troublesome when you have a future economy that?s increasingly impacted by automation and AI. The winners take all dynamic will only accelerate.

I don't think UBI will change that. Will $1k/mo change the ratio of stock ownership?

On the Dem side, every single one is for Fed $15 min wage. That?s an actual job killer, much worse than UBI. It?s also harming small businesses and fails to account for the difference in rural economy / states in the interior and costal economy. Things like Bernie's Federal Job Guarantee is a sure path to dystopia.

I also do not believe in minimum wage. Let the market set the rate. Surprise!! We are totally in agreement here. :)

But if you do not address this economic insecurity driven by rapidly increasing income inequality, this is what you end up with. Like it or not, we are on a path to socialism. Newer data shows that gen z and millennial prefer socialism over capitalism. If we continue down our current path, that is where we are heading.

I agree about income inequality, I just don't think UBI is the answer.

To me, Yang offers a better alternative to both current Dems and Trump. Yang?s version is better aligned with a future economy increasingly impacted by automation and AI.

As we've discussed before, I don't think AI will have the impact you do (at least in one presidential term). It will be gradual and I am confident society will adapt quickly. Economically, to me, UBI has more questions than answers, and I'm not convinced it's the answer to help ease the transition into automation. You can't build/fix/change a socioeconomic system via handouts. There has to be a better method, it's seems a little like putting the cart before the horse... like UBI should be a result of AI/automation, not the impetus for it. In other words, once the robots have taken over, then make them take care of us. :)

Let's assume Yang won't get nominated. Who else do you think can beat Trump?

I don?t see any other Dem candidate can beat Trump. None of them makes a compelling case for voters in the rust belt. It?s almost like Dems are fighting to make blue states more blue and forgot that they have to win back Middle America.

It seems to me you are looking for UBI to be the silver bullet to our economic problems. It is certainly not that. But it is the best proposal on the table to the massive income inequality problem we have in America. Neither Trump nor rest of the Dem candidates offer a better policy to tackling this issue.

To your specific question, 1k/mo may only make a marginal difference in changing % of Americans owning stocks. It would certainly be an improvement to millions of American lives. I do understand this is TI, my opinion is very likely an unpopular one. Most posters here are probably far from real average Americans financially.

I think we agree on issue like the minimum wage because we both see market based solutions as best. But we also have to admit that market based solutions has limitations. Our current big problems aren?t market-based problems. There is no market-based solution to fighting climate change or improving income inequalities unless we create them and change the rules.

Regarding UBI to help transition us to the age of massive automation and AI, I think we differ because we are coming from different perspectives. I believe the markets should exist to serve Humanity in an increasingly automated future. We should evolve away from seeing everyone as just an economic input into the system because humans will lose to AI and automation in the battle of capital efficiency.

Also, I see Yang?s Freedom Dividend as the right of citizenship, not welfare, not a handout. In your theory, Jeff Bezos / Mark Zuckerberg/ Warren Buffet will get welfare handouts too. Yang?s funding it with VAT and VAT is a consumption tax. You control your consumption. You can avoid the VAT by simply controlling your consumption. This isn?t your typical conservative slam dunk ?taxation theft? case. There are plenty of conservatives like Ben Shapiro, Eric Weinstein, and Dave Rubin who support it.

To me, we should choose the best available offer. I know you?ve repeatedly said UBI isn?t the answer. But is there another policy proposal (by Trump or any of the Dem candidate) out there that is?

I like the idea of consumption tax or flat tax to help reduce debt and tax the rich more, but not to feed UBI.

I think we need to fix our government problems first before we think about UBI.

So no, I don?t have an answer because I?m not that smart.

But back on the main topic, it seems like you are in agreement that the Dems don?t have a someone who will get nominated that can beat Trump. Do you like Biden? 

I had higher hopes prior to recent developments.
He seems tone deaf and unprepared. How did he (and his advisers) not see Harris coming for him?
Biden is basically banking on votes generated from nostalgia of Obama years.
That's not nearly enough to beat Trump.

I like Andrew Yang but I think the UBI proposal needs to start from a smaller and more limited base, with strings/conditions attached.  For example, with big data we can statistically identify those who are most at risk of committing crimes and put them on government dole in exchange for staying out of trouble, attending classes/counseling, and relocation out of high risk areas.

For those who like the idea of moving "semi off-grid", $12,000/year would allow you to save for a tiny home and plot of land somewhere.  It will allow people to indulge in the fantasy of being self sufficient in a rural area somewhere while collecting $1,000/month from Uncle Sam and getting drone deliveries from Amazon or Walmart.  They can um, tend to their 1 acre gardens while ordering groceries from Walmart delivery.  Not a perfect solution to mass unemployment from automation/AI, but better than having the robots liquidate us.

On the other hand, we may create a degenerate society where the top 0.1% rule with support from bottom 90% welfare recipients mooching off the productive 10%.  Not that the other way is always better, when the elite 10% ruled in a "civilized society" advocating meritocracy, they say "by the sweat of your brow will you eat" when they really mean "if you're not clever/cunning/shrewd enough to double the silver in your hand, you deserve to have the coins taken from you and cast into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

@momopi:

America is just one giant Snowpiercer train. :)

The core of UBI is no strings attached... it's a right, no conditions, no qualifications. It's Oprah style... right kenkoko?

Back