Proposed cemetery near Great Park and the new Irvine 5th high school

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
eatthis said:
jbuttins said:
Just an update for those who care.. it looks like the land swap proposal got rejected.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/site-711908-park-great.html

I was at the city hall to see the vote. There were 50 people who came up for public comment. 40 were strongly supportive of the swap, including both veterans and residents. This clearly goes to show our councilman don't care about the overwhelming will of the people. Beth Krom and Jeff Lollaway clearly have personal motives and secret deals with deep pocketed special interest to keep the land swap from happening. It couldn't be more obvious.

hey Eatthis,

I do not follow Irvine politics much.  Do you have any idea what these motives and deals may be?  I am very curious.  Thanks

Perspective said:
It sounds like the folks who are superstitious also believe in conspiracy theories. Makes sense.

When both sides of an issue come together in strong support of a solution and yet the city officials reject it it's government and politics at its worst. Reminds me of our Congress spending Billions buying equipment our military doesn't want.
http://www.military.com/daily-news/...-to-stop-buying-equipment-it-doesnt-need.html

Instead of dishing out demeaning remarks on this forum why don't you do some homework and add some real value to this forum.

eatthis said:
Perspective said:
It sounds like the folks who are superstitious also believe in conspiracy theories. Makes sense.

When both sides of an issue come together in strong support of a solution and yet the city officials reject it it's government and politics at its worst. Reminds me of our Congress spending Billions buying equipment our military doesn't want.
http://www.military.com/daily-news/...-to-stop-buying-equipment-it-doesnt-need.html

Instead of dishing out demeaning remarks on this forum why don't you do some homework and add some real value to this forum.

It's demeaning to suggest the opposition to the cemetery is due to superstition and the council's response to the swap is being greeted with conspiracy theories here? Those are just facts.

800 Perspective posts all boil down to the same few things.

"Strada is the best thing ever. Everything else sucks even if u are my neighbor in OH. I don't care about the value of my home but i still pump it up everyday."

I mostly skip his posts now.

He misses forest for trees in a big way and doesn't realize how.

pisa said:
800 Perspective posts all boil down to the same few things.

"Strada is the best thing ever. Everything else sucks even if u are my neighbor in OH. I don't care about the value of my home but i still pump it up everyday."

I mostly skip his posts now.

He misses forest for trees in a big way and doesn't realize how.

Sure, okay. Thanks. Your perception isn't accurate, but, whatever. No biggie.

Here's a reasonable argument for no cemetery, anywhere. It's the worst possible use of land. We don't need to bury dead bodies and we don't need tombstones to remember our loved ones. It's an antiquated waste of space.

Perspective said:
eatthis said:
Perspective said:

It's demeaning to suggest the opposition to the cemetery is due to superstition and the council's response to the swap is being greeted with conspiracy theories here? Those are just facts.

It would be demeaning when a personal preference (such as not wanting to live next to a cemetery) is suggested to be superstition especially one that you have ridiculed many times on this blog...  Fact is that some people may not want to live next to a cemetery like many others may not want to live next to a busy street or a freeway or next to a land fill.  You call it superstition, which it may be for some.  However for others its just personal preference.

eatthis said:
The LA Time article is more insightful as to what happened on the day and what's up next. The residents will continue to fight on and so will the veterans.
http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-0416-vets-cemetery-20160415-story.html

It's notable how strongly Bill Cook, the leader of the veteran's effort to get the cemetery in place, will keep fighting for what they believe is the better location.

Thank you for posting this. So what do you all think what's next? Is this the end of the discussion? I don't believe this is the end of it but what else could happen to bring this back to a vote again?

fe9000 said:
eatthis said:
The LA Time article is more insightful as to what happened on the day and what's up next. The residents will continue to fight on and so will the veterans.
http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-0416-vets-cemetery-20160415-story.html

It's notable how strongly Bill Cook, the leader of the veteran's effort to get the cemetery in place, will keep fighting for what they believe is the better location.

Thank you for posting this. So what do you all think what's next? Is this the end of the discussion? I don't believe this is the end of it but what else could happen to bring this back to a vote again?

It's interesting for sure. It looks like it's likely to happen but IHS insists there won't be funding. There are other vet cemeteries in the inland empire that will not run out of room anytime soon.  We will see if they can get the funds.

hello said:
Perspective said:
eatthis said:
Perspective said:

It would be demeaning when a personal preference (such as not wanting to live next to a cemetery) is suggested to be superstition especially one that you have ridiculed many times on this blog...  Fact is that some people may not want to live next to a cemetery like many others may not want to live next to a busy street or a freeway or next to a land fill.  You call it superstition, which it may be for some.  However for others its just personal preference.

So, please share. Is the "personal preference" to not live "next to" a cemetery for reasons other than superstition?

Perspective said:
Here's a reasonable argument for no cemetery, anywhere. It's the worst possible use of land. We don't need to bury dead bodies and we don't need tombstones to remember our loved ones. It's an antiquated waste of space.

Waste is subjective.  Pretty much everyone on TI thinks that spending 40k on flooring through the builder is a colossal waste.

Perspective said:
So, please share. Is the "personal preference" to not live "next to" a cemetery for reasons other than superstition?

The fact that thousands of residents in the area don't want it and there is a site that's overwhelmingly preferred by the veterans should be good enough. Your agreement is neither needed nor asked for.

The funny part... If you look at the comments on the articles... Some people skipped over reading about vet support... Still went after homeowners. Lol

jmoney74 said:
It looks like it's likely to happen but IHS insists there won't be funding. There are other vet cemeteries in the inland empire that will not run out of room anytime soon.  We will see if they can get the funds.

The unintended consequence of rejecting the land swap is that Irvine will probably never get a veterans cemetery.

The cost of demolition and toxic cleanup at the current site is at least multiple tens of millions of dollars and will delay the project by more than two years. However much money already spent to study the current site will be peanuts compared to expenses yet to come. Given the history of cost overruns and delays for these type of project it'll simply be too cost prohibitive to move forward with the current plan.

Of course, that's probably Beth Krom and Jeff Lalloway's plan all along. They can appear to be strong supporter of the veterans while keeping them stuck in a location they know the veterans cannot pay for. Clever and evil at the same time.

Perspective said:
hello said:
Perspective said:
eatthis said:
Perspective said:

I personally could care less about cemeteries, but I could imagine someone simply not liking the idea of living next to a cemetery because it is associated with death which often may evoke a negative thought or emotion.  Or perhaps they do not like the idea of the traffic which may come with it?  Does that satisfy you?  How ironic that you call yourself Perspective, because you dont have any perspective but your own. 
You have written numerous posts criticizing superstition, specifically about the Chinese and their fear of cemeteries.  Ok, we get it....but honestly who cares?  If someone doesnt want to live next to a cemetery, why do you care so much?  Do you go on rants about people not walking under a ladder?  Because honestly your connection to people not walking under a ladder is to the same degree as someone not wanting to live next to a cemetery. 

The Irvive politicians should represent the voice of Irvine residents and not some outsiders' testimony. Irregardless the vetarans are not denied of a site but one that is far more superior than the originally proposed site. The site next to Broadcom is worth at least 5x more. The veterans was paid for their testimony and support for the less ideal site. The politicians who betrayed Irvine residents were bought by special interest group.  With the cemetery proximity looming home sales would be affected at the Great park. This consumers' fear could lower sale prices. Special interest group has no intention in funding the cemetery to a reality. The construction budget and operating cost is $1 billion. The goal is to eliminate the Greatpark as a competition for several years. Interested parties will not commit additional fundings once the objective is achieved. Great park will have to decrease selling price in order to compete.

eatthis said:
Perspective said:

The fact that thousands of residents in the area don't want it and there is a site that's overwhelmingly preferred by the veterans should be good enough. Your agreement is neither needed nor asked for.

Thousands of residents? How many people reside in Beacon Park? Are you suggesting Pavilion Park and other neighbors oppose the cemetery? Which begs the question, what is the necessary distance from a neighborhood must a cemetery lie?

Back