Proposed cemetery near Great Park and the new Irvine 5th high school

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Perspective said:
bones said:
jmoney74 said:
bones said:
Does perspective work for the Irvine company?  >:D

Lol

TI is the only place he can get his message out.

Between these cemetery comments and never letting go of the double mello at BP, you start to wonder. Then add in the strada cheerleading...

Too true. There's a prison across the street, that will be expanding, toxic soil, a dump nearby, and double mello roos compounding annually at 2%, yet the only thing bothering prospective buyers is a cemetery.

Did you get that list from Dan?

jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
gasman said:
This is a tug-of-war power grab between City of Irvine and Five Points.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I will throw in the state of California, since the state legislature passed the bill and the governor signed the bill.

Don't you remember Governor Brown visiting Great Park?
http://m.ocregister.com/articles/veterans-637708-cemetery-irvine.html

So who would foot the bill to maintain the cemetery?

The veterans will. Actually the Orange County Veterans Memorial Park Foundation. They are fundraising for the Operations & Maintenance endowment now. And VA grants pay most of the construction costs and internment fees. No city funding needed. Or expected.

Irvine lost $1.4B when redevelopment was pulled by Gov. Brown, which resulted in the Great Sports Park deal. The vets got a scrap that was leftover. But Irvine got a $294M redevelopment settlement from the state, and is now flush. Irvine now could easily afford to build a cemetery, if they respected their veterans. Not likely.

The swap was not considered, because they are really always planning to screw the vets. The swap meant a cemetery would be a sure thing. They can't and won't allow that to happen. Too late they say. And you believe them?

Our Gang said:
The veterans will. Actually the Orange County Veterans Memorial Park Foundation. They are fundraising for the Operations & Maintenance endowment now. And VA grants pay most of the construction costs and internment fees. No city funding needed. Or expected.

Irvine lost $1.4B when redevelopment was pulled by Gov. Brown, which resulted in the Great Sports Park deal. The vets got a scrap that was leftover. But Irvine got a $294M redevelopment settlement from the state, and is now flush. Irvine now could easily afford to build a cemetery, if they respected their veterans. Not likely.

The swap was not considered, because they are really always planning to screw the vets. The swap meant a cemetery would be a sure thing. They can't and won't allow that to happen. Too late they say. And you believe them?

Surprise, Surprise  ...  Our Gang is for the Cemetery >:D

Perspective said:
Jeff Lalloway should just argue it's his "personal preference." That should be sufficient.

That's exactly what he did without saying so out loud. Too bad, in this country, elected representatives are there to serve the people, not his own personal preference. And, the people made their opinion loud and clear during public comment. I doubt this was the lesson in democracy those residents who came from China were expecting from our government.

You're obviously living in the wrong country. I can tell you're going to love living under the communist regime where the almighty glorious leader knows best.

I don't care if this cemetery is built in the Great Park area nor elsewhere. I despise the military industrial complex, and to the extent this cemetery serves as a proxy celebrate the military industrial complex, it's not worth further taxpayer expense.

I do care about religion and superstition irrationally and illogically influencing politics. What you think your god(s) advised in an ancient language to people in ancient cultures, should not affect political decisions. Hearing the opposition to the cemetery sounds so much like the opposition to gay marriage - basically, "I don't like it, so it shouldn't happen. " It's not a persuasive argument, to say the least.

Perspective said:
I don't care if this cemetery is built in the Great Park area nor elsewhere. I despise the military industrial complex, and to the extent this cemetery serves as a proxy celebrate the military industrial complex, it's not worth further taxpayer expense.

I do care about religion and superstition irrationally and illogically influencing politics. What you think your god(s) advised in an ancient language to people in ancient cultures, should not affect political decisions. Hearing the opposition to the cemetery sounds so much like the opposition to gay marriage - basically, "I don't like it, so it shouldn't happen. " It's not a persuasive argument, to say the least.

People on this board just flat out said they don't like living next to a cemetery but you still won't take it for an answer. I guess you should just ignore it to keep the argument going.

Perspective said:
basically, "I don't like it, so it shouldn't happen. " It's not a persuasive argument, to say the least.

How ironic. That is exactly your own argument.

If not liking the cemetery because it makes me depressed, or congests traffic, or too close to the high school my kids go to is not good enough then neither is your argument about your dislike of religion or your demeaning comment about believes you don't understand.

eatthis said:
Perspective said:
basically, "I don't like it, so it shouldn't happen. " It's not a persuasive argument, to say the least.

If not liking the cemetery because it makes me depressed, or congests traffic, or too close to the high school my kids go to is not good enough then neither is your argument about your dislike of religion or your demeaning comment about believes you don't understand.

Just hope for crappy BP sales and maybe something might happen. But that's like wishing for Lebron signing with the Lakers at the end of this season. (It can happen, but mostly not)

eyephone said:
Just hope for crappy BP sales and maybe something might happen.

Have you seen the sales of BP? Crappy would be beyond generous to describe the pace of sales at BP.

eyephone said:
But that's like wishing for Lebron signing with the Lakers at the end of this season. (It can happen, but mostly not)

I don't know. The way that Byron and the hapless Lakers let Kobe chuck up 50 shots that last game it just might be the best sales pitch for a free agent with ego the size of Lebrick. Clearly the adult has left the room. Come to the Lakers and you too can run the team.

eatthis said:
eyephone said:

Have you seen the sales of BP? Crappy would be beyond generous to describe the pace of sales at BP.

eyephone said:
But that's like wishing for Lebron signing with the Lakers at the end of this season. (It can happen, but mostly not)

I don't know. The way that Byron and the hapless Lakers let Kobe chuck up 50 shots that last game it just might be the best sales pitch for a free agent with ego the size of Lebrick. Clearly the adult has left the room. Come to the Lakers and you too can run the team.

You know where I'm getting at right?

Perspective said:
eatthis said:
WTTCHMN said:
Irvine mayoral candidate threatens recall over vote to keep veterans cemetery at Great Park
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/recall-712641-park-great.html

Jeff Lalloway's comment in the article is beyond laughable with zero substance.

?I still think it?s the right place to be. Why do we want to stop now and start over??

He offers no reason why it's still the right place to be. Why start over? Because the new location is toxic chemical free? Because the new location will not require costly demolition? Because the new location is away from the high school? Because the new location will not congest traffic on Sand Canyon or Irvine Blvd? Because residents prefer it over the current location? Because the veteran's prefer it over the current location? Of course, none of that matters because Jeff is watching out for his special interest group, everyone else be damned.

Jeff Lalloway should just argue it's his "personal preference." That should be sufficient.

If you practice law in the manner you make arguments on talkirvine, then you are clearly an incompetent lawyer.  Comparing a public official's defense of public policy to a private individual personal taste in housing is simply asinine.  Are you that dense or just that lame?

eatthis said:
Perspective said:

EXACTLY

As a great architect and planner, I am totally supportive of the swap. Veteran cemetery needs to be at an an iconic locations where millions of drivers are to be reminded everyday of the braves as they converge or diverge at the 405 and 5 junction. Both Westwood and Arlington are at monumental site and not off some secondary residential path. There should be a huge phallic obelisk 20 times taller than the one at the spectrum to commemorate this site. Five Point is willing to donate a huge fund to getting this started. When the city opted for the inferior and challenging site I can only speculate they have been bought by special interest group. Special interest group is not interested in a long term and indefinite support for the cemetery. Had the city opted for the land swap the city would have greater leverage with Five point for additional funding and participation. The special interest group is only interested in dragging this into an overtime game with no interest in helping the Veterans in winning the game.

hello said:
Perspective said:
eatthis said:
WTTCHMN said:
Irvine mayoral candidate threatens recall over vote to keep veterans cemetery at Great Park

?I still think it?s the right place to be. Why do we want to stop now and start over??

He offers no reason why it's still the right place to be. Why start over? Because the new location is toxic chemical free? Because the new location will not require costly demolition? Because the new location is away from the high school? Because the new location will not congest traffic on Sand Canyon or Irvine Blvd? Because residents prefer it over the current location? Because the veteran's prefer it over the current location? Of course, none of that matters because Jeff is watching out for his special interest group, everyone else be damned.

If you practice law in the manner you make arguments on talkirvine, then you are clearly an incompetent lawyer.  Comparing a public official's defense of public policy to a private individual personal taste in housing is simply asinine.  Are you that dense or just that lame?

Thank you, for yet another ad hominem attack on this thread.

eyephone said:
eatthis said:
eyephone said:

eyephone said:

You know where I'm getting at right?

If there are no sales, the builder and the city does not make money.

Folks let's not lose focus of the true issue here, a toxic spill was the cause of the Return of the Living Dead.  If the GP has a toxic plume than we'll see a zombie apocalypse.  Let's not forget these will be military trained veteran zombies.  FCBs will be in for an abomination!

:D

Perspective said:
hello said:
Perspective said:
eatthis said:
WTTCHMN said:

Thank you, for yet another ad hominem attack on this thread.

Double mello, gates suck, Strada yay, ad hominem.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

eatthis said:

What's going on in BP sales?  Last thing I heard was Ellwood sold out completely but others were struggling.  Can you elaborate a little more?  I'm not buying in BP but was just curious...  A year ago, there were several folks selling PS 1 homes to move down to bigger homes in PP and BP.

I believe its the price point in BP, there are a lot of 1mil+ homes/collections in BP.  MR is based on square footage, and with MR a lot higher of other new developments, people are reluctant to buy.

The cemetery may also have something to do with it since a good amount of the buyers in Irvine are Asian, when I was speaking with the customer quality service rep she said about 80-90% of the people she works with to move into RAH homes are Asian.

I bought Ellwood and can confirm its sold out with people on a waitlist in case someone changes their mind or falls out of escrow.  My wife and I walk the neighborhood daily and can confirm that there are a good amount of empty homes that are ready to move in, but I also see a lot of people moving into Melody.  I think the 700-1mil range is where a lot of buyers are, so once you hit the 1.1-1.2mil+ the buyer pool is a lot smaller and with that much money I'm sure they are pickier as well.

irvineorbust said:
eatthis said:

What's going on in BP sales?  Last thing I heard was Ellwood sold out completely but others were struggling.  Can you elaborate a little more?  I'm not buying in BP but was just curious...  A year ago, there were several folks selling PS 1 homes to move down to bigger homes in PP and BP.

akkord, Thanks for the info.  So you moved in Ellwood already, I guess.  Congratulations.  If you got one of the earlier phases, than the priced already increase by $100k + or more based on how well Ellwood did. 

Not just in Irvine but through out LA and OC, under $800k homes are selling very well according to some new articles. 

So Ellwood is 90% Asian purchases but empty homes may imply that those could be rented out by the cash buyers...  I'm thinking that happened a lot in Cypress Village and Stone Gates... 

Back