coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
qwerty said:
Yeah but the angle matters. The overhead shot will be more accurate.

Even in the overhead angles from LL, there does look like a number of people clustered together much closer than 6 feet and they don't all look like families.

And, afternoon gets more crowded than high noon I think.

can't wait for trump to rip into newsom for this one.  with the latest "joe being joe" / "boys will be boys" comments from good ol' nancy, this state is on a roll for turning california red for the first time since the 80s

Cropped wide angle lens?  There?s five life guard towers visible,  that?s a lot of turf.  Even the Newport one, look how small the houses in the back ground are over the crowd.

I know on Bolsa China and Huntington State Beach, four towers is a 1/2 mile.

irvinehomeowner said:
This was is from CNN for Huntington Beach last Saturday... maybe it's the camera angle?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/26/us/southern-california-beaches-coronavirus-heat/index.html

200426140520-01-open-beaches-huntington-beach-0425-exlarge-169.jpg

Wow. Those crowded pictures are for sure not last Saturday. What LL posted look about right. If the mainstream media said those crowded pictures were what last weekend looked like, they just proved themselves to be more fake. Sad...

The picture from O.C. Register is confirmed from Saturday, but it used a special lens.
https://ktla.com/5-live/oc-registers-picture-of-large-crowds-at-newport-beach-causes-controversy/

L.A times used a stock photo on Saturday that has been around for several years even in a story about San Diego beaches. They probably don?t have the resources to send photographers all over for each story.

Mety said:
Wow. Those crowded pictures are for sure not last Saturday. What LL posted look about right. If the mainstream media said those crowded pictures were what last weekend looked like, they just proved themselves to be more fake. Sad...

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

Even in the overhead angles from LL, there does look like a number of people clustered together much closer than 6 feet and they don't all look like families.

I don't know... Find an adult male in the photo and compare that to the distance between groups.  Most of them are spaced pretty good.  Keep in mind this is right near Main St. one of the most crowded beach spots in all of OC. 

Even on a normal summer day, most parties are going to have at least 4-6ft between them.  The most congestion is going to be right near the water, but with water temps at 59 degrees this past weekend, the majority of people were not going in the water.  They just wanted to be out in the sunshine feeling the breeze.  My daughter wanted to go surfing so I was in the water with her, and even with a short-sleeve springsuit it was cold.  I would have preferred a long-sleeve fullsuit.

Peak beach time is between 11am-2pm, so this photo captures that time perfectly.  The beach I was at started getting fog by 3pm, so people started leaving then.

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

I don't know... Find an adult male in the photo and compare that to the distance between groups.  Most of them are spaced pretty good.

I'm not referring to the distance between groups, I'm talking about the groups themselves. There are quite a few that do not look like families which I believe is the only exception to gatherings of any size.

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

I don't know... Find an adult male in the photo and compare that to the distance between groups.  Most of them are spaced pretty good.

I'm not referring to the distance between groups, I'm talking about the groups themselves. There are quite a few that do not look like families which I believe is the only exception to gatherings of any size.

I'm sure some people that aren't related were together, but the beaches being open have no bearing on whether people decide to honor that rule or not.

Heard on the radio this morning that HB and NB are taking it to a judge to decide and they expect to have a decision by 1pm-ish.

Under what legal grounds are HB and NB suing? The right to surf? The right to make sandcastles?

When did the beach become an essential activity? How do other states that are not on the coast survive?

:)

Under the grounds that the governor has overstepped his legal authority.  I think the PD and Sheriff are fine to enforce any social distancing guidelines but not to completely close off access. 

If people are acting intelligently and responsibly, why should we keep them from accessing public areas?  If there are crowds that make it impossible to congregate without being >6ft apart then yes I agree with the order, but this hasn't been the case. 

Also, I guarantee people are WAY closer together inside a Costco then they are at the beach.

irvinehomeowner said:
Under what legal grounds are HB and NB suing? The right to surf? The right to make sandcastles?

When did the beach become an essential activity? How do other states that are not on the coast survive?

Article X, Section 4 of the California State Constitution states:

No individual, partnership, or corporation, claiming or possessing the frontage of tidal lands of a harbor, bay, inlet, estuary, or other navigable water in this State, shall be permitted to exclude the right of way to such water whenever it is required for any public purpose, nor to destroy or obstruct free navigation of such water; and the Legislature shall enact such laws as will give the most liberal construction to this provision so that access to the navigable water of this State shall always be attainable for the people thereof.

So I wanted to get to the bottom of this and talked to someone who actually lives in HB and went there last weekend.

They told me that while on the beach itself, groups were separated but that's the usual separation (do you put your towel down right next to a stranger before this?)... the issue was the pier and sidewalks where people were crowded without any social distancing or masks.

nosuchreality said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Article X, Section 4 of the California State Constitution states:

No individual, partnership, or corporation, claiming or possessing the frontage of tidal lands of a harbor, bay, inlet, estuary, or other navigable water in this State, shall be permitted to exclude the right of way to such water whenever it is required for any public purpose, nor to destroy or obstruct free navigation of such water; and the Legislature shall enact such laws as will give the most liberal construction to this provision so that access to the navigable water of this State shall always be attainable for the people thereof.

I'm not a lawyer but does the bolded part apply to when the state is the party making that exclusion?

aquabliss said:
Under the grounds that the governor has overstepped his legal authority.  I think the PD and Sheriff are fine to enforce any social distancing guidelines but not to completely close off access. 

If people are acting intelligently and responsibly, why should we keep them from accessing public areas?  If there are crowds that make it impossible to congregate without being >6ft apart then yes I agree with the order, but this hasn't been the case. 

Also, I guarantee people are WAY closer together inside a Costco then they are at the beach.

Looking at HB demonstrators, they will forego the lawsuits. Looks like actions are taking place right now. Ha ha

Back