coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Saw this looking up numbers this morning.  Good to know it's 4X current totals. 

And a large-scale study found that early interventions, such as social distancing and severe restrictions on people's movement, have already saved tens of thousands of lives across Europe.

Scientists at imperial College London studied interventions in 11 European countries and concluded that they "have together had a substantial impact on transmission."

The researchers estimate as of March 31, "interventions across all 11 countries will have averted 59,000 deaths."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/health/us-coronavirus-updates-wednesday/index.html

Edit: looks like link was updated and previous info gone.  New link.
https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-04-01-20-intl/h_42233d33f1884e1d67b7a4b63b82e4ce?utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_source=twCNNi&utm_content=2020-04-01T11%3A54%3A28

Scientists at Imperial College London studied interventions in 11 European countries, and concluded that they ?have together had a substantial impact on transmission.? They estimate ?that interventions across all 11 countries will have averted 59,000 deaths up to 31 March.?

The Imperial College researchers estimate that in Italy 38,000 deaths have been averted (as of March 31 that is nearly four times the number of deaths recorded); and in Spain 16,000 ? compared to a situation in which restrictions had not been introduced. In Italy?s case, they say, ?despite mounting pressure on health systems, interventions have averted a health care catastrophe.?

Things are getting desperate out in New York.

Heard from updates this morning the physician shortage is so dire that they are already calling upon dentists to treat coronavirus patients and it may not be too long until they ask veterinarians to do their part and intubate patients in the ICU.

Also Florida is now breaking out from what we've heard. This could be very bad given Florida's demographics.

NYC is bad. My optimism went out the window. When you graduate medical students early just to join in, ask for anybody with an expired license to work, ask for CRNAs to work unsupervised, it's just a free for all. Density is killing NYC.

Attachments

• covid.JPG
    covid.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 98
Kenkoko/IAC renter - are local hospitals using some of the treatments other countries are using? Or something similar to the above treatment?

Just curious what hospitals in the US are doing.

qwerty said:
Kenkoko/IAC renter - are local hospitals using some of the treatments other countries are using? Or something similar to the above treatment?

Just curious what hospitals in the US are doing.

Unfortunately, there is currently no specific medicine treat COVID-19. Local hospitals are giving supportive care to help patients breathe.

The Hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycin combo ( touted by Trump) was just FDA approved couple days ago but is highly controversial for many reasons.

1) One is a anti-malaria drug and the other is a antibiotic that fights bacteria. COVID-19 is a virus.

2) It's based on a very small clinical trial with limited success. Also worth noting along with the limited success in the trial, the worst side effect was death.

3) Many doctors and experts are not on board with it outside of a carefully controlled clinical trial. It is essentially conducting an experiment on a human being without any actual medical evidence.

But the rationale / justification for this is that desperate times call for desperate measures. A large scale clinical trial is simply not feasible at this point.

I am skeptical of it. I think a lot of the enthusiasm is because it's available, so people are over-interpreting the data.

USA Today Article: FEMA seeks 100,000 body bags from Pentagon as coronavirus pandemic worsens

The Federal Emergency Management Agency asked the Pentagon for 100,000 body bags, a chilling request as the COVID-19 pandemic spirals.

Known as mortuary pouches, the heavy-duty zippered bags are typically used in the military to contain the remains of troops killed in combat. Wednesday, more than 1,000 people died of the coronavirus in the USA, raising the death toll over 5,000. A week ago, the total was less than 1,300.

"The Department of Defense and the Defense Logistics Agency have a long-standing arrangement with FEMA to procure key commodities from DLA's industrial partners during crisis response operations,? Air Force Lt. Col. Michael Andrews, a Pentagon spokesman, said in a statement Thursday. ?DLA is currently responding to FEMA's prudent planning efforts for 100,000 pouches to address mortuary contingencies on behalf of state health agencies."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fema-seeks-100-000-body-144932418.html

Self congratulatory posts aside... how is everyone doing?

Any TI member know anyone personally who has Covid? A relative of a friend of mine thinks they have it, waiting for test results. :(

74 Journalism Professors Sign Letter Calling Fox News? Coronavirus Coverage a ?Danger to Public Health?

74 journalism professors and journalists signed an open letter addressed to Fox News? Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch on Thursday, criticizing the network they oversee for its coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.

The letter stated, in part, ?The Viewers of Fox News, including the president of the United States, have been regularly subjected to misinformation relayed by the network ? false statements downplaying the prevalence of COVID-19 and its harms; misleading recommendations of activities that people should undertake to protect themselves and others, including casual recommendations of untested drugs; false assessments of the value of measures urged upon the public by their elected political leadership and public health authorities.?

Fox News Media has been impacted both by some talent?s early coverage of the virus and by the illness itself: Fox Business Network parted ways with Trish Regan after she questioned whether coronavirus was a hoax designed to hurt President Donald Trump.
https://www.thewrap.com/74-journali...ronavirus-coverage-a-danger-to-public-health/

eyephone said:
Mety said:
Well, you already said and firmly believe in your strong opinion. So why even ask?  ;)

And you can?t face reality. Wake up!

I think you were right on calling out this coronavirus would be a problem in this world.

I think you were wrong on calling people out as if anyone said Covid-19 was just a cough or only effect elders.

BTW, no one said Covid-19 wouldn't be a problem. You can quote if anyone ever said that.

Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
Well, you already said and firmly believe in your strong opinion. So why even ask?  ;)

I think you were right on calling out this coronavirus would be a problem in this world.

I think you were wrong on calling people out as if anyone said Covid-19 was just a cough or only effect elders.

BTW, no one said Covid-19 wouldn't be a problem. You can quote if anyone ever said that.

But they said there is nothing to worry about. (You were one of them)

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time. Abraham Lincoln

eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:

But they said there?s nothing to worry about. (You were one of them)
Stop with the lies and fake misinformation!

Please quote. If you can't find anyone ever said that, then you're the one lying.

Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:

Please quote. If you can't find anyone ever said that, then you're the one lying.

There is too much to quote from YOU and others. I got other stuff to do.
Belly would be laughing at you if he was on this.  (Sharp as a plastic knife)

eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:

There is too much to quote from YOU and others. I got other stuff to do.
Belly would be laughing at you if he was on this.  (Sharp as a plastic knife)

Hahahahaha

Watching the different governors and people talk about corona virus, here is my rating:
Trump - horrible 2/10 - I feel dumber listening to him
Pence - below avg 4/10 - dry, wooden.
Dr. Birk - Good 8/10
Cuomo - Excellent 10/10 - calms me down and high charisma.
Newsom - Ok 6/10 - Sounds like William Shatner
Fauci - Ok 6/10
Kushner - Good 8/10 - Well spoken

Surgeon General...that Lisp is really distracting. "you don'th needth to wear a maskth!"

Back