coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Well, I'm playing to time.  As in stay healthy until I can get vaccine, or stay healthy until the hospitals have capacity to help.

Dying isn't the concern, its getting sick enough to tested and then be part  the 10% that end up in the hospital.

Hospitals in California are at capacity.  Multiple counties have 0% open ICU capacity. They can't ship people to the neighboring county because they're at 0%.

So, while it's never time to have a car accident, or a slip and fall, now those are even bigger health threats when they occur because the hospitals are struggling to handle the patient influx.

nosuchreality said:
Well, I'm playing to time.  As in stay healthy until I can get vaccine, or stay healthy until the hospitals have capacity to help.

Dying isn't the concern, its getting sick enough to tested and then be part  the 10% that end up in the hospital.

Hospitals in California are at capacity.  Multiple counties have 0% open ICU capacity. They can't ship people to the neighboring county because they're at 0%.

So, while it's never time to have a car accident, or a slip and fall, now those are even bigger health threats when they occur because the hospitals are struggling to handle the patient influx.

Exactly NSR.

Full ICUs is what flattening the curve was trying to avoid because now all these other types of things that ICUs are needed for could end up in indirect deaths due to Covid (except to Mety).

nosuchreality said:

Just to make you feel even more anxious...the hospital/ICU capacity is secondary to availability of healthcare workers, who are at the breaking point.  Some have started striking and no help is coming from elsewhere because the pandemic is everywhere now.

Setting up more beds and capacity is relative easy compared to having proper medical personnel to staff them.

I am taking precaution.
I do not think I will step on a store anytime soon. (If I do, I think have the proper gear)

We have our groceries delivered.

I think someone mentioned before. The covid CA exposure check app. I guess it will notify you if someone has covid nearby.

Not suggesting our present condition isn't important.... but if we were in such dire straits, wouldn't one think the Navy ships would be re-deployed as they were in NYC and LA? So far I haven't heard anything about sending in these floating hospitals, or requests by the States themselves for a more robust Federal response.  Perhaps I've missed a headline or two about this and welcome the info if it exists.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
Not suggesting our present condition isn't important.... but if we were in such dire straits, wouldn't one think the Navy ships would be re-deployed as they were in NYC and LA? So far I haven't heard anything about sending in these floating hospitals, or requests by the States themselves for a more robust Federal response.  Perhaps I've missed a headline or two about this and welcome the info if it exists.

My .02c

Wait...you are presuming competent Federal response?  According to Trump...the whole thing went away on November 4th.

BTW

Back in the spring, the government opened a so-called ?surge? hospital in Los Angeles and even docked a Navy medical ship in San Pedro harbor to take overflow patients if medical centers filled up. But officials found that those supplemental facilities did not treat many patients and did not provide the same level of care as traditional hospitals.

?Hospital ships are wonderful if you?re a 23-year-old wounded sailor. But it?s no place to take care of ICU patients? sick with COVID-19, said Dr. George Rutherford, an epidemiologist and infectious-diseases expert at UC San Francisco. ?If they need to be in the ICU, they need to be in the ICU.?

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-12-08/california-icu-beds-fill-up-coronavirus-cases

That quote is not quite the whole story....

The ships can be used for non-COVID related ICU support. Additional relief is still relief. Newsom or Cuomo asking for help does not seem to be the case at this moment. Why not? You got me there. 

The ships can be used for non-COVID related ICU support. Additional relief is still relief. Newsom or Cuomo asking for help does not seem to be the case at this moment. Why not? You got me there.

Most treatments are ongoing issues where a patient has existing care providers...those care providers are being occupied by COVID. 

And again...you are assuming proper and competent federal response, which was nonexistent before Trump lost the election.

Hospital ships are also expensive...so it is highly inefficient to use them to treat non-COVID matters. 

Irvinecommuter said:

Most treatments are ongoing issues where a patient has existing care providers...those care providers are being occupied by COVID. 

And again...you are assuming proper and competent federal response, which was nonexistent before Trump lost the election.

Hospital ships are also expensive...so it is highly inefficient to use them to treat non-COVID matters.

There was a lot of screaming that we needed them (and vents) and then they were barely used at all.

Somehow cvs has gotten 10,000 workers to administer vaccines........ probably some are currently employed in the pharmacy or nursing students but if there was no staff at all then where did they get them? They have to have licensed people to oversee the program.

The OC has said elective procedures are to be shut down (again). Nurses CAN be trained to work other areas instead of just staying at home as they did the last time elective procedures were shuttered. They can work med surg and med surg can and do float to the unit to take less sick patients which frees up the trained unit nurses to take the more sick ones.

I anticipate the state will open field hospitals before they ask for ships again.

Ready2Downsize said:
Irvinecommuter said:

There was a lot of screaming that we needed them (and vents) and then they were barely used at all.

Somehow cvs has gotten 10,000 workers to administer vaccines........ probably some are currently employed in the pharmacy or nursing students but if there was no staff at all then where did they get them? They have to have licensed people to oversee the program.

The OC has said elective procedures are to be shut down (again). Nurses CAN be trained to work other areas instead of just staying at home as they did the last time elective procedures were shuttered. They can work med surg and med surg can and do float to the unit to take less sick patients which frees up the trained unit nurses to take the more sick ones.

I anticipate the state will open field hospitals before they ask for ships again.

The whole point of the shutdown before was to avoid the overwhelming of ICUs/hospitals.  The reason why there was not an issue previously was because the disease was confined to some states and medical staff/equipment could be brought in from other areas not affected.  Now every state has issues and there is no help to be given.

It's no different than wildfires where the affected area gets immediate resources and assistance...those resources and assistance go away if there are more areas affected by wildfires.

Additionally, the key issue right now is COVID, which requires special equipment/ICU and personnel.  The disease requires things negative pressure rooms and ventaliators.  It's not like normal situations or disease. 

I can't believe that you are compare to ICU treatment of a global pandemic with the handing out of vaccines, which has its own logistical issues but no where near the issues facing hospitals and medical community.

?The health care system in Orange County is now in crisis, resulting from an overwhelming increase in the number of COVID infected patients ? ambulance EMTs are waiting hours just to transfer patients from their vehicles to emergency department,? Schultz wrote in the memo. ?At the current rate of deterioration, the EMS system may collapse unless emergency directives are implemented now.?

Schultz also cited ?unprecedented increases? in the amount of time in which hospitals are not able to accept new patients, and said it?s not just ICUs that are overwhelmed but general hospital floors as well.

Dr. Clayton Chau, Orange County?s health officer, discussed the situation at an afternoon news conference held after the memo was sent.

?We need to make sure that all of the hospitals are aware that there are cases of people who need emergency services that are sitting in the ambulance for more than an hour, and that we would be transferring them to the next hospital, just to make sure that everybody?s understanding and prepares,? Chau said.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/o-...id-19-hospitalizations-health-official-warns/

Why is it so hard for people just to accept that the situation is really really bad and we need to this thing seriously.

eyephone said:
The thing is they are playing it down because their guy Trump downed played it.

I don't get this...I mean I get Trump and somewhat his supporters but why are we making doctors and scientists the bad people now?

Compressed-Village said:
Two San Diego strip clubs is open and welcoming patrons, while the state is locked down.

How is that allow? Good lawyers 😀. And big balls.

Meh...it's just people try to get attention over public health

AN DIEGO (AP) ? While California?s new stay-at-home order has shut down restaurant dining, shuttered salons and kept church services outside, two strip clubs in San Diego are still welcoming patrons nightly, protected by a court order.

San Diego County officials on Wednesday voted 3-2 to appeal the judge?s ruling that has allowed Pacers Showgirls International and Cheetahs Gentlemen?s Club to stay open after the establishments sued the county and state over being ordered to close their doors.
https://apnews.com/article/californ...ic-san-diego-220f2f6cf8d46a9764578b7c5f5a3a87

And it's San Diego...they voted in Duncan Hunter in 2018 despite him being under federal charges and then put Darrell Issa back into Congress. 

Wasn't comparing one to the other. The issue is if those people are working at CVS they are not working AT the hospitals.

Nurses are people. They work multiple jobs and multiple hospitals and if CVS is willing to pay up, they may just decide to put their hours at CVS instead of hospitals.

In the beginning of this entire thing I predicted we wouldn't have enough hospital staff even if we have enough beds. It was just a matter of time.

If California wants to REALLY cut this down, then why allow people to go the mall at all? Why let them try on clothes in small enclosed spaces? CUT things NOW. Reinstill fear. Stop having people in charge saying we can't do this and that and then doing it themselves. Sends the message......... I don't really super duper believe it's that bad or I would heed my own advice.

Back