coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:
irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:
Those who are not wearing a mask at this point are NOT going to start doing so because Biden asks them to.  Good Luck.

So how would you solve this problem?

Stay home if you?re sick, stay home if you?re scared.  Solved.

If people won't wear a mask, do you think they will stay home if they are sick? This doesn't solve anything in my opinion.

CDC definition of close contact is for 2 people to be within 6ft for at least 15 minutes.  When most of you see a maskless guy in the grocery store you?re going to run the other way, so I don?t think you?ll be in ?close contact? with him or her. 

Not sure where you are going with this CDC reference. This isn't the only way coronavirus spreads.

Staying home while sick was a common practice people do here in this country if you remember before Covid era. That was encouraged in last pandemic with that swine flu also.

Enforced to wear masks is something else. Even those who won't wear a mask will very likely practice staying home if they feel sick IMO.

I personally think a simple encouragement to stay home if feel sick would have been a lot better than all these lockdowns, semi-lockdowns, etc. overall. But again, that's my personal opinion who don't believe everything they say in media and public information.

nosuchreality said:
Nothing to see here, move along.

No connection between attending the 300 person wedding them returning to wpork in the nursing home, testing positive and patients dying.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...on-superspreader-wedding-nursing-homes-covid/

Is the nurse liable? Can they families sue the worker and facility?

People need to be held accountable or something. To be honest if I had a family member in a facility. I would pull them out. (I know someone is going to say. What if they needed special care?)

eyephone said:
How about the overcrowding of hospitals? Start another icu in the parking lot like Nevada?

That's what I'm saying. If ICU beds capacity or the clinicians capacities are really at its risk, then that's the result of having bad governing methods, right?

For example, Irvine used to feel really quiet. It was scary quiet like no people on the streets especially in residence areas. Ever since the first stay-home-order, Irvine started to feel like people actually do live here. More and more people are outside walking, jogging, etc. I actually do like seeing more people outside, but what this tells me is that people don't like to be restricted. They were staying home fine in this city, but then with the stay home restriction, they all want to come out all of a sudden. That exposes the possibility of more infections overall, doesn't it? If they were not so restricted, they would have been practiced all safety protocols better IMO. Thus that would have resulted better overall than for such thing as jeopardized ICU units/workers.

However, if they enforced like some other countries like beating up or jail times and such, then yeah sure it would have worked a lot better, but then such country would not be what we call The United States of America anymore. 

eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
Nothing to see here, move along.

No connection between attending the 300 person wedding them returning to wpork in the nursing home, testing positive and patients dying.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...on-superspreader-wedding-nursing-homes-covid/

Is the nurse liable? Can they families sue the worker and facility?

People need to be held accountable or something. To be honest if I had a family member in a facility. I would pull them out. (I know someone is going to say. What if they needed special care?)

Actually that is the main sticking point with the Republicans on the stimulus plan.  Business liability protection.

Can the business prevent their empoyee attending a possible superspreader event, not really.

But they don't even ask.  Liability protection just ensures everybody gets to stick with playing don't ask don't tell instead of ensuring businesses that they have to attempt to concern themselves with public health impacts of their business activities.

This dumbass gets to say they didnt realize.

The business gets to pretend they have no control.

And if Repubkicans get their liability shield, no one will be able accountable for behavior this one.

Or require the businesses like this during the pandemic have their answer  simple questionaire on potentially risky activities before allowing them to work a shift.  Then someone has to lie, or forget they went to a massive street protest or 300 person wedding.

But hey, we will close outdoor dining at resturants while allowing catering companies to set up massive tents with food movie shoots because people are too stupid not to sit in a bar on top of each other for hours to have a few beers.

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:
irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:
Those who are not wearing a mask at this point are NOT going to start doing so because Biden asks them to.  Good Luck.

If people won't wear a mask, do you think they will stay home if they are sick? This doesn't solve anything in my opinion.

CDC definition of close contact is for 2 people to be within 6ft for at least 15 minutes.  When most of you see a maskless guy in the grocery store you?re going to run the other way, so I don?t think you?ll be in ?close contact? with him or her. 

Not sure where you are going with this CDC reference. This isn't the only way coronavirus spreads.

Staying home while sick was a common practice people do here in this country if you remember before Covid era. That was encouraged in last pandemic with that swine flu also.

Except in many cases Covid is asymptomatic while transmittable... so people don't stay home... or wear masks.

Enforced to wear masks is something else. Even those who won't wear a mask will very likely practice staying home if they feel sick IMO.

See above.

I personally think a simple encouragement to stay home if feel sick would have been a lot better than all these lockdowns, semi-lockdowns, etc. overall. But again, that's my personal opinion who don't believe everything they say in media and public information.

They tried to do that at the beginning... but cases kept going up.

Maybe now, if the ICUs get overrun, someone will understand what flattening the curve is.

eyephone said:
Respectfully I believe we are talking about two separate things:
1. Hospital/icu capacity
2. Outdoors activities

It could be. But it might also be all related. We just have different opinions. I think you?re saying we should have been more restricted. I?m saying saying less restriction would have resulted better so that we wouldn?t need to deal with what we deal with now such as low ICU capacity or another lockdown.

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:
irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:

Except in many cases Covid is asymptomatic while transmittable... so people don't stay home... or wear masks.

See above.

They tried to do that at the beginning... but cases kept going up.

Maybe now, if the ICUs get overrun, someone will understand what flattening the curve is.

Asymptomatic is found in other diseases too, no? IC was also saying anyone who has kids would know even common flu is spread asymptomatically.

What I?m saying isn?t Covid is fake and we shouldn?t care about the curve. What I?m saying in this discussion is the governing method of restricting people isn?t really working well especially in this country.

@Mety:

With most flus, you are symptomatic when you are contagious (exceptions exist of course)... or they have a low transmission rate. With Covid, there are many cases of asymptomatic spread and a higher transmission rate.

This is why "staying home when you are sick" doesn't really work because many don't feel sick.

You can look at what the present status is, we have been in lockdown and semi-lockdown since March, people have been told to stay home when sick, distance, wear masks, wash hands etc... and yet we are over 85% ICU capacity in much of California and many other states.

So how will that work again?

Masks and social distancing can work if people do it. Stay at home orders cause economic chaos and social disruption. The long term solution will be mass vaccination. The Biden administration should take bold action and pay people to get vaccinated. You can kill two birds with one stone: stimulate the economy and stamp out disease. I got the idea after reading this NY Times article in September:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/business/pay-people-vaccine-coronavirus.html

iacrenter said:
Masks and social distancing can work if people do it. Stay at home orders cause economic chaos and social disruption. The long term solution will be mass vaccination. The Biden administration should take bold action and pay people to get vaccinated. You can kill two birds with one stone: stimulate the economy and stamp out disease. I got the idea after reading this NY Times article in September:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/business/pay-people-vaccine-coronavirus.html

Offer free masks people who qualify. Maybe make it free. Idk
We got to make a change.

irvinehomeowner said:
@Mety:

With most flus, you are symptomatic when you are contagious (exceptions exist of course)... or they have a low transmission rate. With Covid, there are many cases of asymptomatic spread and a higher transmission rate.

This is why "staying home when you are sick" doesn't really work because many don't feel sick.

You can look at what the present status is, we have been in lockdown and semi-lockdown since March, people have been told to stay home when sick, distance, wear masks, wash hands etc... and yet we are over 85% ICU capacity in much of California and many other states.

So how will that work again?

If we were encouraged to do everything you wrote (bolded), except lockdown and semi-lockdown, I think the ICU or the clinicians capacity status would have been much lower than 85%. I know you think the other way, but that's what I think since I'm seeing people just reacting totally opposite from the stay-home-orders as I've pointed out to eyephone in the previous reply.

Also you were saying to aquabliss those who didn't wear a mask would not stay home when they were sick. I think that's not true since most people stayed home when they were sick even before Covid era. The problem started when we felt like we were being restricted, giving up our freedom. Again, just saying what I think. I could be wrong and I know you think I'm wrong. ;)

Oh please, our lockdown is about as solid as a pasta strainer for holding water.

Half or more of the country didnt do it at all and even areas doing it, a sizable percentage didnt really comply.

The problem isn't your freedom getting restricted, the problem is this pandemic became political football as soon as it appeared.

nosuchreality said:
Oh please, our lockdown is about as solid as a pasta strainer for holding water.

Half or more of the country didnt do it at all and even areas doing it, a sizable percentage didnt really comply.

The problem isn't your freedom getting restricted, the problem is this pandemic became political football as soon as it appeared.

Yeah, so what happened to those states or areas that did close down? What happened to CA?

Sure it did get political. Politicians would use this "opportunity" to make themselves a YUGE career out of it.

Just look at Jeffrey Trail. Since our lovely lockdown order, the place has been FILLED with so many people. It used to be pretty empty before the restriction order if you lived around that area. Irvine never looked so lively!

Mety said:
nosuchreality said:

Yeah, so what happened to those states or areas that did close down? What happened to CA?

Sure it did get political. Politicians would use this "opportunity" to make themselves a YUGE career out of it.

We have faired a lot better for lot longer than those didnt even try.  And that is with protests and gatherings and interstate Travel.

Mety said:
Just look at Jeffrey Trail. Since our lovely lockdown order, the place has been FILLED with so many people. It used to be pretty empty before the restriction order if you lived around that area. Irvine never looked so lively!

Our local multiuse trail can get mighty busy too, still far less people than a single Target run or the mob scenes in a Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

nosuchreality said:
Mety said:
nosuchreality said:

We have faired a lot better for lot longer than those didnt even try.  And that is with protests and gatherings and interstate Travel.

Really? I thought CA was one of the worst, no?

Back