coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
eyephone said:
Belly:

I like to use your words. Come up with a solution for covid. I have not heard one solution from you. I have given so many solutions. Some would say better than the local elected politicians in the OC and IE.
Because at this rate hospitals are going to reach capacity.

Mety doesn't believe Covid is a real thing...and if it is...it's not that worse than the cold or flu....quote:

The truth is Covid death rate is less than 0.1% in California. Is that downplaying? Is that a Trumpster statement? Isn't that a good enough reason to open schools and businesses again? Isn't that a good enough reason for the places of worship to gather again?

He is only about 1700% off from the actual number but hey...what's 1700% amongst friends?

Saying COVID is a disease that only kills 0.1% of the people who get it is wrong, but saying it kills 5% is wrong too.
It's probably more like 1.0% for the entire population.....

5% death probability is reserved for people over 50.

zubs said:
Saying COVID is a disease that only kills 0.1% of the people who get it is wrong, but saying it kills 5% is wrong too.
It's probably more like 1.0% for the entire population.....the 5% are for people over 50.

I don't think anyone is saying 5%...number say somewhere between 1 and 2%.  I have no idea where 0.1% comes from.

I mean...even with the numbers right in front of him...Mety like the death rate went up 0.6% just yesterday!

BTW:  The Do-Nothings' darling of Sweden is reach a crisis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i61NjjYJ9sY

It's extremely difficult to get accurate data on COVID-19 fatality rate due to the high rate of asymptomatic infections, and tendency for hospitals to simply declare the patient having passed away from COVID-19 regardless of other medical conditions.  Many deceased were simply sent for cremation with no autopsy performed.  My uncle passed away from old age and cancer few months ago and they sent him to the crematorium anyway.

It's also difficult to do direct comparison with influenza fatality rate.  It's estimated that 77% of influenza infections are asymptomatic and even those with mild symptoms brush it off as a cold without visiting the doctor.

Instead of worrying about the percentage points, you should probably direct your efforts toward protecting yourself and your family.  Wear a mask when you go out, use gloves when you go shopping, and put your cloths in the laundry when you get home.  Wash hands often and use different sets of shoes for indoor and outdoor use.  Stock food, water, medicine, and other necessities.  If you're worried about toilet paper, consider installing a bidet to reduce toilet paper usage.  Be prepared to "bug in" at your home in the event of a sudden super-spreader event in your area.

With more time at home, consider requesting a Lehman's catalog and learn how to do laundry with washboard + soap, install cloth drying line in yard, how to cook with canned and freeze dried ingredients, how to bake with solar oven, how to can food, plant a garden.
https://www.lehmans.com/product/lehmans-catalog-usa/

Soylent Green Is People said:
Would be helpful if the discussion could use 1-2 data sets from specific sites, rather than news from X, or stats from Y. This way the discussions may be less intensive. Perhaps a poll is warranted? In no particular preference:

1) https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

2) https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

3) https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19-pandemic  (US data is there)

4) ?

My .02c

The issue is not the known data...it's the unknown data (how many asymptomatic and how many undiagnosed COVID deaths) and interpretation of existing data (how many actually died from COVID) that are the debates.

But death rate is pretty straightforward...18,400 died from 11 million cases...1.7%.

Again no solution. Questioning the mortality rate of covid is a farce.
Not only you have to talk about the mortality rate. You also have to talk about the COVID-19 long haulers, survivors lasting virus symptoms

Soylent Green Is People said:
Would be helpful if the discussion could use 1-2 data sets from specific sites, rather than news from X, or stats from Y. This way the discussions may be less intensive. Perhaps a poll is warranted? In no particular preference:

1) https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

2) https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

3) https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19-pandemic  (US data is there)

4) ?

My .02c

As momo said, if people were more concerned about taking care of themselves and doing whatever you need to to protect yourself and your family we would probably be better off.

It would be helpful if everyone wore masks. what we don?t need is the mask wearers trying to shame the non mask wearers. If anything, it probably riles up the non-mask wearing crowd.  Nobody likes to be told what to do, so when you tell a non masker to wear a mask now they will more likely resist.  Most businesses would enforce mask rules anyway, which is where you would most likely encounter people. It?s pretty easy to stay away from non-maskers if you want to. So no need to worry about them. Because you wear a mask (I do out of courtesy to others) doesn?t make you morally superior. It just means you have different morals. We just need to respect differing opinions and keep it moving. 

qwerty said:
As momo said, if people were more concerned about taking care of themselves and doing whatever you need to to protect yourself and your family we would probably be better off.

It would be helpful if everyone wore masks. what we don%u2019t need is the mask wearers trying to shame the non mask wearers. If anything, it probably riles up the non-mask wearing crowd.  Nobody likes to be told what to do, so when you tell a non masker to wear a mask now they will more likely resist.  Most businesses would enforce mask rules anyway, which is where you would most likely encounter people. It%u2019s pretty easy to stay away from non-maskers if you want to. So no need to worry about them. Because you wear a mask (I do out of courtesy to others) doesn%u2019t make you morally superior. It just means you have different morals. We just need to respect differing opinions and keep it moving.

No masks qwerty. No full capacity for malls, movies, restaurants, sprinting events like other countries. (Did I mention bars are open in Japan at full capacity?) Let freedom ring! It is my right to wear a mask or not. Sorry but that is what I am hearing.

Throw in no seat belts also. My chest kind of hurts when I wear it. I can not breather properly. lol
This sounds silly, but this is comparable to the no mask argument.

Some beliefs Irvinecommuter and eyephone have all wrong in regard to my thoughts on COVID-19 are...

1. Mety doesn't believe there is Covid.
2. Mety is a GOP fanboy Trump supporter.
3. Mety is YellowFever.
4. Mety doesn't support the idea of wearing masks.
5. Mety is Chinese.
6. Mety thinks only in-person worship is a worship.
7. Mety is BurnThatBelly.

If you two believe any of that in the list, get that belief out of your brain. Fast. You're welcome.

qwerty said:

It would be helpful if everyone wore masks. what we don?t need is the mask wearers trying to shame the non mask wearers. If anything, it probably riles up the non-mask wearing crowd.  Nobody likes to be told what to do, so when you tell a non masker to wear a mask now they will more likely resist.  Most businesses would enforce mask rules anyway, which is where you would most likely encounter people. It?s pretty easy to stay away from non-maskers if you want to. So no need to worry about them. Because you wear a mask (I do out of courtesy to others) doesn?t make you morally superior. It just means you have different morals. We just need to respect differing opinions and keep it moving.

Another thing: Do we want to get rid of covid or have it around for years? Because avoiding the no masks people does not get rid of covid.

The do nothing policy does not work with covid. As you can tell the multiplier effect with covid is out of control. (one person gives it to another person and another person gives it another person etc.)

I don?t think covid is going away. It is here to stay.  It will be much more manageable with vaccines but it?s not going away. It seems there is long term immunity so between vaccines and natural immunity it will still be here for several years.

zubs said:

I actually agree with what he's saying here.

I believe 0.1% was the real death rate in CA at some point. Maybe I needed to update myself. So my apologies on that.

It seems like we all agree the rate is somewhere between 1-2%. I just don't think that's something we must deal with lockdowns, curfews, closing down businesses, and etc. But again, that's only my thoughts. You can smash that all you want, IC, IHO, and eyephone.

Mety said:
zubs said:

I actually agree with what he's saying here.

I believe 0.1% was the real death rate in CA at some point. Maybe I needed to update myself. So my apologies on that.

It seems like we all agree the rate is somewhere between 1-2%. I just don't think that's something we must deal with lockdowns, curfews, closing down businesses, and etc. But again, that's only my thoughts. You can smash that all you want, IC, IHO, and eyephone.

You also have to consider the long lasting side effects of covid.

Different topic: The potential future fight medical insurance to cover covid recovers. Does the premium go up? If so how much?
Chills, fever, body shaking, hair falling out, heart and lung problems
(which effects all ages not only seniors) * I am guessing less in kids.

The articles I read there are people in their 20?s on up with no underlying conditions.

@eyephone,

Ever since you started to believe I'm YF/BTB, I kind of feel like you're very off in lotta things. But I'll still answer your question.

My solution to COVID? I think I've been saying the same thing all along. Wear the masks and practice social distancing not just for you but also for the sake of others' physical and mental health. If you have problem breathing with masks, then you should have your freedom not to wear though.

I believe everything can be open and be as normal as possible. The reason I was asking for solution from you was because you're the one who thinks of COVID as lethal as Ferrari or Shark. I'm not really in a position to provide a solution where I don't see as much issue from.

Mety said:
@eyephone,

Ever since you started to believe I'm YF/BTB, I kind of feel like you're very off in lotta things. But I'll still answer your question.

My solution to COVID? I think I've been saying the same thing all along. Wear the masks and practice social distancing not just for you but also for the sake of others' physical and mental health. If you have problem breathing with masks, then you should have your freedom not to wear though.

I believe everything can be open and be as normal as possible. The reason I was asking for solution from you was because you're the one who thinks of COVID as lethal as Ferrari or Shark. I'm not really in a position to provide a solution where I don't see as much issue from.

I already gave my solution and let me tell you a secret. It is working in other countries with barely any restrictions. They do not have the fear of covid like in the US. So we can argue until the cow comes home about masks and the death rate.

As of now, we are stuck in mud. Maybe to you and others you might think we are doing a great job with covid.

Again, you bring my Ferrari/shark comment out of context. But you have spread false information and should be a shame of yourself. It is funny you keep on changing your covid argument. One day you say it is not serious. The other day you say it is. The same with masks.

There's obviously an effective way to deal with COVID as demonstrated by many Asian countries. Taiwan just held an electronic music festival (Ultra) without masks for 10,000 people freely because of how under control they have COVID.

Americans, and I would say most Western countries, are too selfish to think about others and care about "muh rights".

eyephone said:
Mety said:
@eyephone,

I already gave my solution and let me tell you a secret. It is working in other countries with barely any restrictions. They do not have the fear of covid like in the US. So we can argue until the cow comes home about masks and the death rate.

As of now, we are stuck in mud.

Then go live there, Mr. Genius.

Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
@eyephone,

As of now, we are stuck in mud.

Then go live there, Mr. Genius.

They are not letting people go there.
Hahhaa - you are but hurt.

Cares said:
There's obviously an effective way to deal with COVID as demonstrated by many Asian countries. Taiwan just held an electronic music festival (Ultra) without masks for 10,000 people freely because of how under control they have COVID.

Americans, and I would say most Western countries, are too selfish to think about others and care about "muh rights".

I think I'm with IHO on this. You can't really compare the US with some other countries in regard to some mattes. The size alone is just too different. Obviously it's much more effective and easier to control in smaller sizes.

Back