coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Between Thanksgiving shopping, Black Friday everyday shopping and pending lockdown prepping, the stores this past week all look regular core Christmas shopping crowds with the TP hoarding back in effect.  Friday night BJs at the marketplace had a line waiting at the door for seating.

Frankly, lament the lockdown that's coming, but based on behaviors I see occurring in public on a daily basis, our South Dakotaesque spike is coming.

They can try, but no one will pay attention and no one will enforce it...If the boy king can do it, why can't everyone else?

Three more New York sheriffs say they won?t enforce Cuomo?s Thanksgiving limit

https://nypost.com/2020/11/16/new-york-sheriffs-wont-enforce-cuomos-thanksgiving-cap/

?We're Not the Mask Police.' OC Sheriff Says Deputies Will Not Enforce Mask Mandate
[url]https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/were-not-the-mask-police-oc-sheriff-says-deputies-will-not-enforce-mask-mandate/2384269/[/url]

morekaos said:
They can try, but no one will pay attention and no one will enforce it...If the boy king can do it, why can't everyone else?

Three more New York sheriffs say they won?t enforce Cuomo?s Thanksgiving limit

https://nypost.com/2020/11/16/new-york-sheriffs-wont-enforce-cuomos-thanksgiving-cap/

?We're Not the Mask Police.' OC Sheriff Says Deputies Will Not Enforce Mask Mandate
[url]https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/were-not-the-mask-police-oc-sheriff-says-deputies-will-not-enforce-mask-mandate/2384269/[/url]

Because people should care about others and not go with "well if Johnny does it...why can't I" theory of society.

It's weird that we expect these things from our children but apparently not from grown adults.

That's not a theory.  People are at their base selfish and self centered, regardless of what they say on surface to virtue signal...they will do what they want.

nosuchreality said:
Between Thanksgiving shopping, Black Friday everyday shopping and pending lockdown prepping, the stores this past week all look regular core Christmas shopping crowds with the TP hoarding back in effect.  Friday night BJs at the marketplace had a line waiting at the door for seating.

Frankly, lament the lockdown that's coming, but based on behaviors I see occurring in public on a daily basis, our South Dakotaesque spike is coming.

I think so too. We've held it at bay for a long time but I think it is inevitable. Maybe certain parts of California will be able to stave it off until vaccines are readily available. But cases in LA County are pretty much at the summer highs.

Irvinecommuter said:
I am all for calling out hypocritical Dems for not adhering to guidelines...are the GOP supporters...

Call them all out for not adhering to guidelines.
Call them all out for hypocrisy.

morekaos said:
That's not a theory.  People are at their base selfish and self centered, regardless of what they say on surface to virtue signal...they will do what they want.

That may be true but as a member of a society, there are social norms and considerations to be had. 

Children are self-centered and selfish...that doesn't mean that we allow them to act that way.

Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:

That may be true but as a member of a society, there are social norms and considerations to be had. 

Children are self-centered and selfish...that doesn't mean that we allow them to act that way.

Thats very aspirational but reality sucks...

morekaos said:
Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:

Apparently, you allow your children to act however they like whenever they like..cause you know...reality.

Again...society has norms, laws, and obligations....thus things are what hold society together.  You may not like them but that's what you signed up for by living in a society. 

zovall said:
Irvinecommuter said:
I am all for calling out hypocritical Dems for not adhering to guidelines...are the GOP supporters...

We can play the same game.
I wonder what%u2019s worse eating dinner with people or lying to the American people that covid is deadly. I think the message from Trump should of been lets be careful and wear a mask. (not that invasive) But denying it and lying about it compounds the problem.

I can tell you this Japan and Korea they are almost normal. (But majority wears masks)

eyephone said:
zovall said:
Irvinecommuter said:

I wonder what?s worse eating dinner with people or lying to the American people that covid is deadly. I think the message from Trump should of been lets be careful and wear a mask. (not that invasive) But denying it and lying about it compounds the problem.
We are in a shi7hole.

I can tell you this Japan and Korea they are almost normal. (But majority wears masks)

Or be like Taiwan and do the right thing for like 6 months and get back to normal.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
zovall said:
Irvinecommuter said:

I wonder what?s worse eating dinner with people or lying to the American people that covid is deadly. I think the message from Trump should of been lets be careful and wear a mask. (not that invasive) But denying it and lying about it compounds the problem.
We are in a shi7hole.

Or be like Taiwan and do the right thing for like 6 months and get back to normal.

So you aspire to be like Taiwan?  Good luck with that.  Ever been to Taiwan?....I have extensively, you would not want to live there.  The socio-economic and cultural differences are so vast as to be ridiculous.

Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:
Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:

Apparently, you allow your children to act however they like whenever they like..cause you know...reality.

Again...society has norms, laws, and obligations....thus things are what hold society together.  You may not like them but that's what you signed up for by living in a society. 

Tell that to ANTIFA

morekaos said:
So you aspire to be like Taiwan?  Good luck with that.  Ever been to Taiwan?....I have extensively, you would not want to live there.  The socio-economic and cultural differences are so vast as to be ridiculous.

LOL...I would love to live in Taiwan...other than the weather.  Excellent health care, great food, nice people....maybe you missed the part about me being born there.  Taiwan has its issue but on COVID...it's the gold standard.

BTW...you know we can adopt good practices regardless of where they come from right?  If Taiwan was able to have about 607 cases and 7 death from a population of 23 million...that's probably something we should look and learn from. 

morekaos said:
Tell that to ANTIFA

Where exactly is the ANTIFA headquarter or principal place of business? 

So...we are back to the "if Johnny can do it...why can't I" argument? 

And by your tone...you should totally approve of ANTIFA and riots..cuz you know...people are inherently selfish and self-centered so they should be able to do whatever they want.

Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:

LOL...I would love to live in Taiwan...other than the weather.  Excellent health care, great food, nice people....maybe you missed the part about me being born there.  Taiwan has its issue but on COVID...it's the gold standard.

BTW...you know we can adopt good practices regardless of where they come from right?  If Taiwan was able to have about 607 cases and 7 death from a population of 23 million...that's probably something we should look and learn from. 

Personal preference, fair enough but you couldn't pay me to live there (and they tried). I feel a majority would agree with me.  Taiwan exercises significant control over it s populous and that runs deep to social and cultural norms that just don't (and never will ) exist here.  You play with the cards you are dealt, we will never be able to copy Taiwan or Japan for that matter.  That is just reality.

Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:
Tell that to ANTIFA

And by your tone...you should totally approve of ANTIFA and riots..cuz you know...people are inherently selfish and self-centered so they should be able to do whatever they want.

In some ways, I do...if Portland wants to burn itself down and turn into some left wing Utopia...have fun, the collective, fairness, SJW model will not fare well.  Not enough selfishness there to thrive.  Sounds counter intuitive but ...there it is.

morekaos said:
Personal preference, fair enough but you couldn't pay me to live there (and they tried). I feel a majority would agree with me.  Taiwan exercises significant control over it s populous and that runs deep to social and cultural norms that just don't (and never will ) exist here.  You play with the cards you are dealt, we will never be able to copy Taiwan or Japan for that matter.  That is just reality.

Taiwan exercise what control?  Like government?  Taiwan is the first Asian country to legalize gay marriage and has robust and thriving democracy and economy.  Makes me wonder when you were there last.

Edit:  Taiwan has one of the highest freedom index according to Cato, Freedom House, Heritage, and a whole of host of other rankings.
https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index-new
https://freedomhouse.org/country/taiwan/freedom-world/2020
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freedom_indices#List_by_country

Social norms exist everywhere...people are just not nearly as selfish as Americans are. 

This concept that we cannot deal with a pandemic is ridiculous.  We went through 5 years of WW2 with severe restrictions and societal cooperation for a common good.  The country completely revamped its security and governmental apparatus after 9/11. 

It's not a matter of whether we can...it's a matter of poor leadership and ill defined goals....and people empowered by poor leadership to act like children. 

Most people understand and work with the restrictions...it's just the 30% who want to act like children that are ruining it for the rest of us.

morekaos said:
Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:
Tell that to ANTIFA

In some ways, I do...if Portland wants to burn itself down and turn into some left wing Utopia...have fun, the collective, fairness, SJW model will not fare well.  Not enough selfishness there to thrive.  Sounds counter intuitive but ...there it is.

Talk about your media narratives...just like the freakout over Seattle's "Freedom Zone"...Portland was just fine.
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland...der-siege-a-tour-of-town-shows-otherwise.html

We have relatives up in Portland and no one cared...it was largely confined to a small area near downtown.

Back