coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Soylent Green Is People said:
Besides restaurants, this change also applies to hair salons and other in-person services. Hope your shears are sharp and have a bowl at the ready, just like the old days when moms or dads cut their kids hair.

As I understand, hair salons can stay open with modifications. Same with indoor malls.

Only restaurants, churches, gyms, movie theaters (lol do they exist anymore?), and some others are closing. Schools if previously opened while in red tier can stay open in purple tier.

Edit: Yea I was right.https://abc7.com/southern-california-purple-tier-covid-restrictions-guidelines/8019737/

Hair salons: open indoors with modifications
Retail: open indoors at 25% capacity
Malls: open indoors at 25% capacity and food courts closed
Nail salons: open indoors with modifications
Electrolysis: open indoors with modifications
Personal care services (body waxing, etc.): open indoor with modifications
Tattooing and piercing: open indoors with modifications
Museums, zoos and aquariums: outdoor only
Places of worship: outdoor only
Movie theaters: outdoor only
Hotels: open with modifications
Gyms: outdoor only
Restaurants: outdoor only
Wineries: outdoor only
Bars and breweries: closed
Family entertainment centers: outdoor only, like mini golf, batting cages and go-kart racing
Cardrooms: outdoor only
Non-essential offices: remote work only
Professional sports: no live audiences
Schools: must stay closed
Theme parks: must stay closed

Politics aside, the restrictions make sense.

The places with multiple groups of people and no masks for extended periods of time (indoor dining) would be a higher spread.

Nail salons and barbers... the patrons can wear masks the whole time indoors and there are less numbers... so keep open with modifications.

Malls are a tough one... South Coast Plaza was so crowded last weekend and there were people not wearing masks because they were drinking coffee, eating snacks or had lollipops in their mouths... not very safe.

I don't think OC even enforced non-essential offices... I have friends who say people are working like normal and you can tell because the traffic isn't as sparse as it used to be.

The hospitalization high was in the 700s back in July but were are at 257 now and rising... so that's something they want to prevent.

I do think that holiday events lend to these surges... I expect numbers to get pretty bad after this holiday season.

irvinehomeowner said:
Politics aside, the restrictions make sense.

The places with multiple groups of people and no masks for extended periods of time (indoor dining) would be a higher spread.

Nail salons and barbers... the patrons can wear masks the whole time indoors and there are less numbers... so keep open with modifications.

Malls are a tough one... South Coast Plaza was so crowded last weekend and there were people not wearing masks because they were drinking coffee, eating snacks or had lollipops in their mouths... not very safe.

I don't think OC even enforced non-essential offices... I have friends who say people are working like normal and you can tell because the traffic isn't as sparse as it used to be.

The hospitalization high was in the 700s back in July but were are at 257 now and rising... so that's something they want to prevent.

I do think that holiday events lend to these surges... I expect numbers to get pretty bad after this holiday season.

Traffic is basically back to what it used to be from what I'm seeing on the 5 and 405 during the late afternoons/early evenings.

We are nine months into this pandemic and the best planning we still have is close the businesses. 

Were are the recommendations for upgrades businesses can do such as upgrading their HVAc to have hospital/airline like filtration, UV sterilization and fresh air turnover in order to open with higher capacity? Affordable 15 minute rapid tests that employees can be screaned with at the shift start like the Whitehouse.

I really fail see how tables stacked like cord wood on the parking lot is measurably safer than indoors.

This is going through May. The vaccine becoming available and a reasonable chunk of the population getting it isn't happening soon enough to change that trajectory.  Six more months of take out business and 25% capacity is devastating to the workers and consumers.

Well, I guess BLM rallies are a co-morbidity now like SCOTUS announcements and other "Super Spreader" events...glad we cleared that up... ;D ;) >:D

Woman, 24, who contracted COVID-19 at a Black Lives Matter protest reveals she has been in a wheelchair for FIVE MONTHS due to ongoing symptoms and relies on her parent to care for her
Nataly Najarro, a registered behavior technician, from Sun Valley, California, attended a Black Lives Matters protest in Hollywood on June 7
Two weeks later, she woke up with a fever, a cough, and terrible fatigue
Soon after Nataly was diagnosed with COVID-19, she started to suffer from uncontrollable shaking and sudden increases in her heart rate
In August, she had to spend three days in the hospital to be monitored
Nataly is suffering from 'long COVID,' a condition in which symptoms persist weeks and sometimes even months after an initial diagnosis
She has been largely confined to a wheelchair and now must use an inhaler as she often finds herself short of breath

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8954679/Woman-wheelchair-five-months-contracting-COVID-19.html

Yes. All mass social gatherings carry the potential of spread... including dancing celebrations for the President Elect and protests to keep President Coup in power.

What's your point morekaos?

Covid has no political affiliation, simple as that whether its MAGA or BLM rallies.  I've only been doing indoor/outdoor dining like once a week so it won't be too much of downer for me but man I feel for all those small business owners and workers. I was thinking about getting back to the gym but then I thought to myself that I might as well wait another 6 months until the vaccines are readily available (not so much for myself but more for my dad and stepdad because they are high risk individuals).

irvinehomeowner said:

I've seen a big bump in COVID+ patients over the last 2 weeks. Most go home but admissions are up. Most of the ICU admits tend to be elderly. I'm hopeful with vaccines on the way and new therapeutics but we have a difficult winter ahead. Please make my job easier and help save a life--wear your mask and don't gather in groups.

morekaos said:
Simply pointing out that those covid warriors who lord over us and preach face mask and lock down measures don?t seem to believe those policies or that these policies apply or affect them. If they don?t comply, then why should anyone?

My point remains the same.  Here is Nuisance basically saying "I am sorry...that I got caught...next time I will be more careful not to get caught!"

Gov. Newsom hits the COVID 'emergency brake' and forces 94% of California into the most restrictive reopening tier as he apologizes for breaking his own lockdown to attend dinner party at Michelin-star restaurant
On Monday Gov. Gavin Newsom said he's hitting the 'emergency brake' in California and will close nonessential businesses for a slew of counties
41 of California?s 58 counties will move into the state?s most restrictive purple COVID-19 reopening risk tier starting Tuesday
Under the purple tier indoor operations for museums, houses of worship, gyms and restaurants are not allowed
During a coronavirus press conference Newsom apologized for attending a dinner party at the Michelin-star restaurant French Laundry earlier this month
'I made a bad mistake. Instead of sitting down, I should have stood up,' he said
California has more than one million COVID-19 cases, over 18,000 deaths, and a positivity rate of 4.6 percent ? up three percent from October 29

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8955619/California-Gov-Gavin-Newsom-puts-94-state-restrictive-reopening-tier.html

What about Elon Musk?s 4 test results within a day came out both negative and positive? One person I know has tested positive at first then negative shortly. What if test kits are not 100% reliable? Could it falsely detect something else as Covid? I know some people will by default say I?m a GOP fanboy Trumpster. I?ll tell you I didn?t vote Trump. Hope that helps your mind a little. ;)  These are serious questions without political agendas. Pure science...Thoughts?

Mety said:
What about Elon Musk?s 4 test results within a day came out both negative and positive? One person I know has tested positive at first then negative shortly. What if test kits are not 100% reliable? Could it falsely detect something else as Covid? I know some people will by default say I?m a GOP fanboy Trumpster. I?ll tell you I didn?t vote Trump. Hope that helps your mind a little. ;)  These are serious questions without political agendas. Pure science...Thoughts?

Pointed this out awhile ago.  My friend is not Musk but had a similar experience...

morekaos said:
Was riding on the beach Sunday with a friend who owns a parts manufacturing company.  He decided to test out so he could be in the office more.  Over a month took 5 tests. 2 saliva, one blood prick, one blood draw and one nasal swab.  He said it made him insane.  2 positives and 3 negatives over a month.  He was scared and elated 4 times!!! Still not sure if he ever had it, negative for the antibody...these tests tell us nothing but I bet he got entered into the infected stat twice as one person.  Whats a mess...garbage in, garbage out!!!

Mety said:

All test have false positives and false negatives.  JAMA had a great article last winter on how testing on rare conditions is actually better for ruling having the rare condition out rather than confirming you have it and that many doctors really misinterpret test results because they under estimate the false positives. 

The current anti-body tests have, JIMHO, extremely high false positives.  Regular PCR tests, according to the lancelet still are 0.8-4.0% false positives.

You may not think that sounds like a lot, but it is.  IF you test 100 people have have true 8% positivity rate you will expect 8 positive results.  At 4% false positive, you have 3.8 expected false positives.

Your testing will show 11.8 positives out of the 100 tests and nearly 1/3rd of all your cases are suspect.

The CDC walks you through the flu rapid test explanation of testing in various scenarios.https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/rapidlab.htm

So,...now what?...

Face masks do NOT protect the wearer from coronavirus, but will stop them from infecting other people, Danish study finds

More than 6,000 adults and split them into two groups: one wearing masks in public and one control group that did not
After one month, 1.8% of the people wearing masks had been infected with the virus and 2.1% in the unmasked group had tested positive for COVID-19
The lack of statistic significance suggests that there may be limited protection against coronavirus infection for the wearer
[url]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8962397/Danish-study-finds-face-masks-provide-limited-protection-wearer.html
[/url]
https://youtu.be/WDTxr7Mrkuc

NYC is closing schools again even though experts say schools are not an issue when it comes to spreading the virus. They say the high risk areas are indoor dining, gyms and private indoor social gatherings. The indoor dining will be allowed at reduced capacity. The mayor is getting criticized for closing ?out of an abundance of caution?

This is exactly what I?m referring to when I say politicians do something for the sake of doing something. The experts are telling you schools are not an issue and yet you close schools forcing parents to stay home (if they were not already).

At least California isn?t this dumb.

morekaos said:
So,...now what?...

Face masks do NOT protect the wearer from coronavirus, but will stop them from infecting other people, Danish study finds

apparently...this is not sufficient:  but will stop them from infecting other people,

morekaos said:
So,...now what?...

More than 6,000 adults and split them into two groups: one wearing masks in public and one control group that did not
After one month, 1.8% of the people wearing masks had been infected with the virus and 2.1% in the unmasked group had tested positive for COVID-19
The lack of statistic significance suggests that there may be limited protection against coronavirus infection for the wearer
[url]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8962397/Danish-study-finds-face-masks-provide-limited-protection-wearer.html
[/url]
https://youtu.be/WDTxr7Mrkuc

Or it could suggest mask dont work.

Saying masks don?t protect the wearer is like saying condoms don?t protect the wearer from STDs. Where is that facepalm Emoji IHO like to give me?

Morekas is probably a semi retired person that has not found a hobby.
Or he is a AI bot. He lies about almost everything including his profession.

Back