coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
San Diego back in purple status.

OC might be next.

Bad for businesses... wear a mask and practice safety protocols and the economy won't have to get restricted.

The CDC came out out said that masks also protect the wearer. No shit!!!!!!

That is what I have been saying along. This whole narrative of my masks protects you and your mask protects me to try to force everyone to wear a mask was ridiculous. Of course the mask protects the wearer. If it prevents droplets from going out it will prevent them from going in. 

With that said, it?s obviously better if both people are wearing mask but if you are wearing a mask there is no need to try to demonize someone who isn?t.

This is why the US is in the shit hole position regarding covid.

You have to understand that the Trump admin oversaw the CDC. They made sure the CDC message fits the Trump admin narrative.

Qwerty you don?t have to wear a mask. No one is stopping you.
I think you can go shopping in the Inland empire with no mask required. (I think? Double check)

Survival of the fittest!

qwerty said:

That is what I have been saying along. This whole narrative of my masks protects you and your mask protects me to try to force everyone to wear a mask was ridiculous. Of course the mask protects the wearer. If it prevents droplets from going out it will prevent them from going in. 

With that said, it?s obviously better if both people are wearing mask but if you are wearing a mask there is no need to try to demonize someone who isn?t.

You need to join your daughter during her Zoom science and math classes. Maybe you'll understand it then... face coverings are more effective in stopping outgoing droplets which will cut down on possible incoming ones which also means they will be more effective for the wearers.

There you go with your flawed logic.  How can the mask be more effective in outgoing droplets vs incoming?

qwerty said:
There you go with your flawed logic.  How can the mask be more effective in outgoing droplets vs incoming?

Seriously? My logic is flawed?

I wish TI had a whiteboard so I could draw it for you.

Or maybe just ask your daughter.

[facepalm]

qwerty said:

The N95 masks will protect the wearer. I don't know how much a cloth/surgical/etc mask will protect but I think the logic is that it is better than nothing. What I don't understand is why we haven't built up N95 production for everyone..

This graph from CR shows that we are going to be feeling more pain soon.https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2020/11/november-11-covid-19-test-results.html
COVIDCasesNov112020.PNG

This recent post from the COVID Tracking Project (the folks who are tracking this because the CDC/government failed to) is also pretty informative:https://covidtracking.com/blog/record-hospitalizations

This thread from Trevor Bedford (smart Virus Scientist dude if you haven't heard of him) is predicting that ~2150 US deaths will be reported on Dec 2:https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1326404893863776256

California has been relatively spared so far. Have we just been able to delay it and will we get hit hard soon?

qwerty said:

If you want an honest answer, a mask is more effective for others than it is yourself because...If you are wearing a mask, your droplets would ideally all be trapped on the inside of your mask and not spewing onto someone else or the exterior of their mask.

Now if you're wearing a mask and someone else isn't, their droplets can hit the outside of your mask and you just take it home and you have potential exposure to particles at home when you take off the mask and touch it with your hands and then touch yourself.

Yes wearing a mask will prevent you from breathing in particles but how are you going to remove the mask without touching it with your hands?

I keep mine in the car. I actually never touch the main part of the mask, just the loops to put it on and the edges if I have to adjust it. I don?t manhandle the mask like a lot of people do as it would be very easy to cross contaminate it.

Not sure how to simplify this:

Let's say a mask blocks 90% outgoing and 50% incoming.

For math's sake, let's say a person exhales 100 particles. If they aren't wearing a mask and you aren't, chances of you getting Covid are high.

Now, if that person is wearing a mask, that means only 10 particles get out... your chances of getting Covid are pretty low.

Even better, if you're wearing a mask too, only 5 of those 10 particles may get to you... even way lower.

So the highest efficacy is when an infected person (who can be non-symptomatic) is wearing a mask because that blocks the most particles from getting into the air. Combine that with social distancing and that will greatly reduce the spread.

That's why science says wearing a mask protects others because you may be infected but asymptomatic so a face cover reduces the viral load... that's how community spread happens.

What I don't understand is how this became political.

qwerty said:
I keep mine in the car. I actually never touch the main part of the mask, just the loops to put it on and the edges if I have to adjust it. I don?t manhandle the mask like a lot of people do as it would be very easy to cross contaminate it.

Do you use the always use the same mask?

Let's put this in Walking Dead terms.

It's better to rip off the jaws of the infected than to try to wear armor on every part of your body. If they can't bite you... you prevent the primary method of spread at the source. :)

Reading a report from Minnesota.

ICU capacity is at 1-2% open across the Twin Cities metro area.
The children hospitals have opened their ICUs to patients up to age 25 to help keep that 1-2%.
The VA hospitals have opened their facilities to non-vet patients
Lots of 30, 40, and 50s taking the beds.
Massive amounts of staff out due to community exposure

In the central region, the CEO of the main regional hospital serving 800,000 people reports 1/3rd of all patients in the hospital are covid. 
1/3rd of those are needing ICU.
200 staff out in the hospital for community exposure to covid.

Finally they reportthey have 4, four, patients hospitalized with the flu.

We can all solve this in a matter of weeks. The answer has been the same: socially distance, wear a mask, and wash your hands. Therapeutics and a vaccine will help but we are probably a year or more away from the end.

NBC News: North Dakota lets healthcare workers with Covid stay on job as record surge strains hospitals

As hospitals in the state reach 100% capacity, there aren't enough healthy frontline workers to keep up with the explosive coronavirus outbreak.

This applies only to Covid-positive healthcare workers who do not have symptoms and they are allowed only to work Covid units around patients who already have the virus, Burgum said.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-workers-covid-stay-job-record-surge-n1247487

To me this does not sound right.
They should let their staff recover from covid. Also, there is a potential to infect other staff that do not have covid.

CDC allows this in crisis capacity situations and only after other mitigation strategies have been used. North Dakota must be in serious trouble.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/mitigating-staff-shortages.html

"If shortages continue despite other mitigation strategies, consider implementing criteria to allow HCP with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 who are well enough and willing to work but have not met all Return to Work Criteria to work. If HCP are allowed to work before meeting all criteria, they should be restricted from contact with severely immunocompromised patients (e.g., transplant, hematology-oncology) and facilities should consider prioritizing their duties in the following order:

--If not already done, allow HCP with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 to perform job duties where they do not interact with others (e.g., patients or other HCP), such as in telemedicine services.
--Allow HCP with confirmed COVID-19 to provide direct care only for patients with confirmed COVID-19, preferably in a cohort setting.
--Allow HCP with confirmed COVID-19 to provide direct care for patients with suspected COVID-19.
--As a last resort, allow HCP with confirmed COVID-19 to provide direct care for patients without suspected or confirmed COVID-19. "

Back