coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
eyephone said:
Why not travel qwerty? It is so cheap to travel and take advantage.
Either you do not have enough vacation time or you even do not think it is safe to travel. I go with the last one.

It is the cheapest to travel probably in our lifetime. (airplane, hotels)
#lysol

I like how you and IHO know more than I do about my own decisions and why I make them :-)

eyephone said:
1. People do not wear protection gear. (Either they can not afford it, hard to find it at major stores, or do not care)
2. You can not tell only a person over 55 to not go out. Mean while other people can go out. (It will certainly lose in court and the judgement might bankrupt the city or county possibly.)

The problem is there is no tracking system in place for people that have it. So they can go out and about. (Idk, maybe there is but I have not seen it advertised on the news)

Also, there is no mandatory quarantine if they come from another country or state.

Your reading comprehension needs to get better. I said those over 55. An choose to stay home. I didn?t say they are required to stay home. Open it up and people can take their own precautions as they choose

qwerty said:
Of the deaths in OC

10% are 45-44
7% are 35-44
5% are 25-34

No deaths under the age of 24.

So 78% of deaths are in those over 55. The science and data, as the governors like to say, show the higher risk of death is primarily in those over 55. So we should reopen the economy, continue social distancing, wear masks and gloves, and those over 55 can stay at home of they so choose.

Using local science and data, Orange County should be opening up tomorrow.

So I agree that some cities and counties need to phase in reopening. And carefully watch spread and hospitalizations day to day to decide next steps.

I also agree that I know exactly what you want to do. We are wire fence abs bros. :)

You should listen to the Jon and Ken show on KFI in the afternoons, they are so anti lockdown.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
1. People do not wear protection gear. (Either they can not afford it, hard to find it at major stores, or do not care)
2. You can not tell only a person over 55 to not go out. Mean while other people can go out. (It will certainly lose in court and the judgement might bankrupt the city or county possibly.)

The problem is there is no tracking system in place for people that have it. So they can go out and about. (Idk, maybe there is but I have not seen it advertised on the news)

Also, there is no mandatory quarantine if they come from another country or state.

Your reading comprehension needs to get better. I said those over 55. An choose to stay home. I didn%u2019t say they are required to stay home. Open it up and people can take their own precautions as they choose

Yeah I was talking about 55 years older. So you said if they choose. But why would they choose to do so and hide? Then we are back at square one.

Lets face it folks. We are losing big time. All we are doing the stay at home but it is like a bandaid. We are hoping that it will go away. Maybe they need to bleach the roads and public areas like other countries. Use robots with uv rays to clean inside stores and offices.

Where are the masks for the general public? Might as well put a T-shirt and a bandana over our face like a third world country. Lol

WECT News article (Wilmington, NC): ReOpen NC leader says she tested positive for COVID-19

Whitlock is one of the administrators of the ReOpen NC Facebook page ? which has helped organize two protests in downtown Raleigh calling for Gov. Roy Cooper to lift his stay-at-home order.
In Whitlock?s post, she wrote about how the restrictions put in place amid the COVID-19 pandemic are violating her First Amendment rights as well as her 5th and 14th Amendment rights.

She said she was ?forced? to quarantine which violated her First Amendment rights.
?The reality is that modern society has not been able to eradicate contagious viruses. A typical public health quarantine would occur in a medical facility. I have been told not to participate in public or private accommodations as requested by the government, and therefore denied my 1st amendment right of freedom of religion,? Whitlock wrote.
https://www.wect.com/2020/04/27/reopen-nc-leader-says-she-tested-positive-covid-/

What is the alternative to quarantine someone that recently tests positive for covid? Do nothing and let that person potentially spread it to other people?

qwerty said:
Of the deaths in OC

10% are 45-44
7% are 35-44
5% are 25-34

No deaths under the age of 24.

So 78% of deaths are in those over 55. The science and data, as the governors like to say, show the higher risk of death is primarily in those over 55. So we should reopen the economy, continue social distancing, wear masks and gloves, and those over 55 can stay at home of they so choose.

Using local science and data, Orange County should be opening up tomorrow.

Looking at CDC data, the hospitalization by age tell a different story.  for 18-49 year olds, their hospitalization count is proportional to their share of population.  They make of 1/3rd of the population and they account for 1/3rd of the hospitalization. For those over 50 yo and over 65 it just gets worse.  Hospitalization rate below 18 is near but not zero.  Life in the ICU sucks, but at least it's not death.

Unfortunately, county borders don't stop it.  This past weekend, we drove PCH for a little having wanted to see the ocean.  It was a mistake, traffic jam, people piled up on the sidewalks not maintaining social distance, etc.  We stayed in the car and moved on.

Watching the news the next day, they were interview people at the Orange county beaches that had left Los Angeles and Riverside counties to get away from their closures. 

That said, one way or another, we're reopening.  Enough people are done and frankly, the death count is too low to convince them otherwise.  Nightmare scenarios are all what ifs.  Maybe if we had 200,000 deaths, maybe 500,000 deaths people would be more willing. And back to the question I ask a month ago, how many are not enough?  We're getting our answer.

So we need to figure out how to get things rolling again, with having them maintain as much social distance as possible and change health codes to reflect the cleaning requirements.

eyephone said:
WECT News article (Wilmington, NC): ReOpen NC leader says she tested positive for COVID-19

Whitlock is one of the administrators of the ReOpen NC Facebook page ? which has helped organize two protests in downtown Raleigh calling for Gov. Roy Cooper to lift his stay-at-home order.
In Whitlock?s post, she wrote about how the restrictions put in place amid the COVID-19 pandemic are violating her First Amendment rights as well as her 5th and 14th Amendment rights.

She said she was ?forced? to quarantine which violated her First Amendment rights.
?The reality is that modern society has not been able to eradicate contagious viruses. A typical public health quarantine would occur in a medical facility. I have been told not to participate in public or private accommodations as requested by the government, and therefore denied my 1st amendment right of freedom of religion,? Whitlock wrote.
https://www.wect.com/2020/04/27/reopen-nc-leader-says-she-tested-positive-covid-/

What is the alternative to quarantine someone that recently tests positive for covid? Do nothing and let that person potentially spread it to other people?

Land of the free. Do what ever you want? If you get other people sick, too bad?

https://www.newsweek.com/two-georgi...isguided-attempt-ward-off-coronavirus-1500796

TWO GEORGIA MEN DRINK LIQUID CLEANING PRODUCTS IN MISGUIDED ATTEMPT TO WARD OFF CORONAVIRUS

And there are more....

Now, one can argue that dozens of news media reporting this story is all fake news and I am not going to get into arguments over it...

Cornflakes said:
Definitely not wishing ill on any human being, regardless of how similar  or different we are on any given thing, period.

On the same token isn?t it very very in irresponsible for the president to spread misinformation and speculations? I don?t care republican democrat independent or an alien president.  when you have access to the biggest microphone you have the responsibility.

Some people will make a living out of mocking your words but then there will be people who would take your words as suggestion or even an order.

Soylent Green Is People said:
Wishing physical harm on those with differing political viewpoints is no way to go through life.....

What if those other side of the debate hoped all social justice warriors to have been slate wiped by not following the travel ban.... because they are convinced of inherent bigotry within common sense. 

It always seems like the shoes are much tighter when on the other foot.

My .02c

daedalus said:
I'm reminded of an old saying: "If you're dumb enough to eat paint, then you should eat paint". 

Yup, unfortunately there is a portion of the population are not very smart who will do stupid things like this. Darwinism working at its finest.

USCTrojanCPA said:
daedalus said:
I'm reminded of an old saying: "If you're dumb enough to eat paint, then you should eat paint". 

Yup, unfortunately there is a portion of the population are not very smart who will do stupid things like this. Darwinism working at its finest.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it

Are they shifting the entire school year to the right?  Seems like you made it this far why not just see it through and not open schools until September when they?re back in session.

I agree with NSR though.  1 kid in the school gets it, they all have it by Friday.

aquabliss said:
Are they shifting the entire school year to the right?  Seems like you made it this far why not just see it through and not open schools until September when they?re back in session.

I agree with NSR though.  1 kid in the school gets it, they all have it by Friday.

I wouldn?t be surprised if it has to do with funding. Somehow it probably means more tax dollars for schools.

I don't understand how schools are low risk. Are they basing this on age range in that if the kids get sick it won't be a hospitalization situation?

But what if the kids infect their parents or grandparents who are in a higher risk group?

qwerty's kids will be the only ones at their school. :)

IIRC Hacienda Heights and some other school districts are discussing the possibility to implement clear acrylic shield, checkerboard seating, and morning + afternoon class schedules. There will also be fewer classes per day compared to the old schedule.

The summer learning loss is a real thing, and while remote learning is effective for college students, it REALLY doesn't work with younger kids with attention spam.

It may not even be a federal funding issue. if the school continues to delay its opening, you are going to have an entire generation that's at least half a year to a 1 year behind on schooling.

One other issue is that as long as kids aren't going to school, many parents will be taking unemployment paycheck instead of going back to work because it's way cheaper than paying daycare.

if we expect the economy to reopen in a month or two... school has to be opened before that for many parents to have time to find a job.

Students are not low risk, young kids are walking disease transmitters, but there are a lot of issues involved about needing to reopening the school, that's not just health-related.

Innosint said:
IIRC Hacienda Heights and some other school districts are discussing the possibility to implement clear acrylic shield, checkerboard seating, and morning + afternoon class schedules. There will also be fewer classes per day compared to the old schedule.

The summer learning loss is a real thing, and while remote learning is effective for college students, it REALLY doesn't work with younger kids with attention spam.

It may not even be a federal funding issue. if the school continues to delay its opening, you are going to have an entire generation that's at least half a year to a 1 year behind on schooling.

One other issue is that as long as kids aren't going to school, many parents will be taking unemployment paycheck instead of going back to work because it's way cheaper than paying daycare.

if we expect the economy to reopen in a month or two... school has to be opened before that for many parents to have time to find a job.

Students are not low risk, young kids are walking disease transmitters, but there are a lot of issues involved about needing to reopening the school, that's not just health-related.

Morning and afternoon sessions?  Are the teachers going to be doing double the work or are the students going to get half the class time?  Ugghh. 

paydawg said:
Innosint said:

Morning and afternoon sessions?  Are the teachers going to be doing double the work or are the students going to get half the class time?  Ugghh.

a bit of both. extra hours for teachers, and less school hours for kids. none essential classes like PE, craft, arts, are going to be reduced.

How ever, there is still an increase in demand for teacher due to this, so expect them to hire more sub or full time teachers

I will be a bit cynical.  Distance learning is a problem for the school districts for a couple reasons particularly visible at late elementary/early middle school.  The socio-economic gaps will explode is the minor one.  The big one is the socio-economic advantage ones are looking at their kids doing 1 to 1.5 hours of school and keeping pace or advancing faster and wondering WTH?  Missing core pieces such as collaboration, but reading,  writing, math, advancing. 

Not saying teachers don't work hard, but the amount of filler due to 35-40 kids per class is very exposed.

Back