coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
qwerty said:
@iho - i would rather not get it if given the choice, but we generally don?t have much if a choice with diseases/virus.  The cost/benefit of staging purchases for 3 days, buying take out, transferring it to our own containers and zapping it isn?t much of a cost. But I still got to the grocery once or twice a week. I go to Costco and target once a week. I?m not going to stop living. The mask and gloves isn?t that big of a deal, etc.

But that's not what you were talking about. You were talking about infection, severity of symptoms and death rate. If you think it's minor, why even go through the trouble?

I'm like you, we get a lot of takeout, delivery and more grocery shopping. But I don't swap containers, wipe down groceries etc because I feel that type of transfer is very low chance. And I go out probably more than I should because I think with proper mask wearing, distancing and hand washing... infection risk is contained.

If schools were open I would send my kids to school. I would not keep them at home, the distance learning is a joke. We have to work during the day and do our best to teach the kids. If they bring home the virus then we hope for the best.

I doubt it. Especially with the precautions you take with your food/groceries as that is way lower risk. Community spread among kids is probably one of the highest infection risks... I can't tell you how many times I've caught something from my kids... it's happened so many times I don't share food, utensils or cups with them anymore.

Like I said before, if you get it and you die then that is the card you were dealt. But people die every day for reasons behind their control. And I think I had this shit in December. Had what appeared to be the flu, fever for a couple of days. It was the worst flu, if it was the flu I?ve had in a while and I get the flu shot every year. I didn?t have aches or trouble breathing so maybe it was just the flu, or maybe I was one of those who get the more mild cases of covid due to my calves being ripped :-)

It's treatable as long as resources are available. That's the biggest reason to flatten the curve. I don't necessarily believe you are stuck with the hand you are dealt, you always have the river. :)

To me it all comes down to the cost/benefit. I was never a fan of the shutdown and it never made sense to me. I knew the economic damage  would be terrible and could end up being worse than the virus itself.  The practical approach would have been to have just said, everyone?s should stay six feet apart, wear masks, wash your hands, etc. and let life continue. Yes perhaps more people would have died but like I have said before, we have always put a price on life. Alway have always will.

I'll agree with you here. As I've said, we need to look for solutions that allows the economy to stay open but also decrease risk of infection. Did we overshoot? Maybe, but it's better to have too much than not enough.

Our public schools need money, our healthcare system is a joke. We have tons of homeless people. We just threw 2 trillion down the drain. We would have been better off spending that 2 trillion on a true educational/healthcare overhaul. From a long term perspective that would have been more impactful on society.

It always amazes me how we Are willing to open up the government checkbook in ?crisis? but never open up the checkbook to fix what really needs fixing. The 2 trillion we just spent isn?t going to much. People will still come out much worse When this is over because of the genius idea to lock things down.

Well... this is another topic. Circumstances always change perspective.

I still have a job and my wife?s company is doing just fine. I think the folks who advocate for the shutdown are those who are still collecting a paycheck while working from home. Once that paycheck is gone I?m guessing those folks will start singing a different tune.

Luckily we are in the same boat as you but if this goes for more than another month, we will probably be expecting a Zoom-off. But that's why we see this whole phase thing going into effect and maybe we can get the economy back on track sooner than later.

I think I may have gone on a tangent there

Neh. I know a lot of people who feel the same way you do and part of me also agrees with your position. That's why I'm trying to focus on solutions rather than just complaining about who did what wrong.

So the WHO is now saying that being infected previously may not give you the immunity to prevent future infections. 

Soooo, (if this is true), does this also mean that a vaccine will not prevent infection?  Isn?t the vaccine just giving you a little bit of the virus so that you create the antibodies which won?t work in this case anyhow?

aquabliss said:
So the WHO is now saying that being infected previously may not give you the immunity to prevent future infections. 

Soooo, (if this is true), does this also mean that a vaccine will not prevent infection?  Isn?t the vaccine just giving you a little bit of the virus so that you create the antibodies which won?t work in this case anyhow?

I think they are saying that CURRENTLY there is no proof that being infected previously prevents further infection because until the clinical trials for the vaccine are done they can?t say one way or the other. It may be there way of tempering expectations or just further fear mongering by heath organizations to stay in the limelight. Remember these guys are data driven and generally don?t speculate until there is hard data. So if the vaccine trials show that reinfection won?t occur they won?t be wrong.

Kudos to Georgia, their Govenment site actually has decent information. https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Check out those rural southwest counties, they have near Bronx level infection rates/100,000.  Interactive maps let you drill down on site.

COVID_BY_BLKGRP_Page_8.jpg

Coming soon, Georgia to name all the infected individuals online along with their address.  Shortly after that, they will all be required to post a lavender sign on their lawn with a gold "C", so that children and elderly know to keep their distance.  Next step is to tattoo their left cheek with a "#COVID" so that if seen outside their home, individuals can call law enforcement.

aquabliss said:
This is worth a watch if you have the time.  This Dr. is simply using facts and numbers:https://www.facebook.com/693900625/posts/10163531305645626/

In the interview, both Dr. said and agree that, there are other motives and the science and # of deaths for lock down does not makes sense. They pointed to ?political motives? but both decline to discuss. This is huge, and if that was the case why this has not bubble up to a national level?

Using grounded airplanes as hyperbaric treatment beds?
https://www.engadget.com/covid-19-hyperbaric-chamber-163005245.html

Dr. Daniel Reynolds is founder of Lungfish Dive Systems, a Cambridge, UK-based company that makes scuba gear. ?The question, for me, was that we haven?t run out of ventilators, so why are all these people dead?,? he said. After speaking with medical professionals, he believes that the issue isn?t COVID-19, but ?organ failure through chronic hypoxia.? Essentially, a lack of oxygen in the bloodstream means that people?s bodies slowly suffocate to death over a period of days.

The issue is often compounded by Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), inflammation of the lungs, which makes breathing difficult. ?Their lungs are compromised to the extent that, even with a ventilator on pure oxygen breathing for them, it?s impossible to get enough oxygen.? Reynolds believes that the solution isn?t more ventilation but to make breathing easier for patients in respiratory distress. And for a person with expertise in diving and diving equipment, the obvious answer is a hyperbaric chamber.

Hyperbaric chambers work by increasing the pressure outside the body, and they?re commonly used to treat breathing-related conditions. First, the lungs work less to breathe because the air pressure is so much greater that air forces itself in. Second, at higher pressures, oxygen is more soluble, so every breath gets more oxygen into the bloodstream. And higher levels of blood oxygenation, according to the Mayo Clinic, can ?promote healing and fight infection.?

?Hyperbaric oxygen [therapy] is known to reduce inflammation,? said Dr. Reynolds, which could mitigate the effects of ARDS, too. Unfortunately, hyperbaric chambers are not common and are only used in very specific medical and diving-related scenarios. ?There are not anywhere near enough hyperbaric chambers to cope with thousands of patients,? said Dr. Reynolds. Since it?s impractical to quickly mass-produce these chambers, Reynolds and his team started looking for alternatives.

Enter the grounded aircraft.

When a plane is in flight, it reaches heights where the air is very thin, and the air pressure is far weaker than at sea level. That means it?s doubly hard for a person to breathe at altitude, so planes are pressurized to near sea-level. Since planes aren?t in use, can already adjust their internal pressure and have oxygen routing capabilities, it?s plausible that they?d do the job.

Reynolds suggests having a series of beds inside the cabin, with medical professionals in attendance, just like a normal ward. There would be a 90-minute cycle in which the cabin pressure would be increased to between 1.6 and 2 atmospheres. During this time, each patient would be breathing high-pressure oxygen through a mask in the hope of improving their condition. At the end of each 90-minute cycle, the plane would be depressurized and staff and equipment could move in and out as required.

Not sure how feasible that is but I like how people are getting creative with treatment options.

For those who watch the numbers, Soylent Red noticed that the State of California is grouping their site stats by odd age groups;

1-17 - so 17 parties
18-49 - or 32 in the group
50-65 - 16 in this category
65+  -  "sky's the limit"

Their charts show plenty of confirmed infections in the 18-49 group relative to others. Is that not the case when your sample size is 2x the nearest risk category? Wouldn't it be clearer to track if it was 20-25 per group?

My .02c

I would have done

0-18 (pediatrics)
18-30 (younger adults)
31-45 (adults)
46-55 (older adults)
56-65 ( older older adults)
66+ (dead man walking)

The groupings are be design to show that it impacts all ages and the governments can push their safety first agenda. I don?t know if it is political or not. Or as usual, plain old government stupidity. More accurate data ranges are generally more helpful. 

CV,
Do you notice how the blue states have the longest lock down vs the red states. 

check out this article.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuomo-cl...jaZjGCpTW3ypLF0By0_mxdj6V-Tux6Vu9GGrCyaI5d9S8

Compressed-Village said:
aquabliss said:
This is worth a watch if you have the time.  This Dr. is simply using facts and numbers:https://www.facebook.com/693900625/posts/10163531305645626/

In the interview, both Dr. said and agree that, there are other motives and the science and # of deaths for lock down does not makes sense. They pointed to ?political motives? but both decline to discuss. This is huge, and if that was the case why this has not bubble up to a national level?

qwerty said:
I would have done

0-18 (pediatrics)
18-30 (younger adults)
31-45 (adults)
46-55 (older adults)
66+ (dead man walking)

The groupings are be design to show that it impacts all ages and the governments can push their safety first agenda. I don?t know if it is political or not. Or as usual, plain old government stupidity. More accurate data ranges are generally more helpful.

This isn't political. California simply not able to report better state-wide data because these data are collected and reported at the county level.

Some better counties like San Diego actually breaks them down every 10 years up to age 80. Orange county does something similar. Crappy counties like Kern county or Sacramento just do the 1-17 ,18-49, 50-65, and 65+.

This isn't just a California problem. This is a problem nationwide. I mean many parts of the healthcare system in our country still run on paper records. We just do not have a data driven approach in healthcare or governing in general.

This will probably trigger people who hate criticism about good old USA. But it's the truth.

Kenkoko said:
qwerty said:
I would have done

0-18 (pediatrics)
18-30 (younger adults)
31-45 (adults)
46-55 (older adults)
66+ (dead man walking)

This isn't political. California simply not able to report better state-wide data because these data are collected and reported at the county level.

Some better counties like San Diego actually breaks them down every 10 years up to age 80. Orange county does something similar. Crappy counties like Kern county or Sacramento just do the 1-17 ,18-49, 50-65, and 65+.

This isn't just a California problem. This is a problem nationwide. I mean many parts of the healthcare system in our country still run on paper records. We just do not have a data driven approach in healthcare or governing in general.

This will probably trigger people who hate criticism about good old USA. But it's the truth.

How dare you?!?!?

Heh... actually I agree with this.

It's not just healthcare that is a mess though... government is way worse. :)

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
As of 4/6/20 covid19 cases:
Anaheim 92
Irvine 77
Newport Beach 73
Huntington Beach 62
Santa Ana 62
https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/coronavirus-in-oc

As of 4/11/20

Anaheim 135
Santa Ana 102
Irvine 95
Newport Beach 84
Huntington Beach 83

Posted 4/27/20

Santa Ana 306
Anaheim 289
Huntington Beach 183
Irvine 127
Newport Beach 96
Garden Grove 89
Orange 76
Buena Park 74
Fullerton 68

Of the deaths in OC

10% are 45-44
7% are 35-44
5% are 25-34

No deaths under the age of 24.

So 78% of deaths are in those over 55. The science and data, as the governors like to say, show the higher risk of death is primarily in those over 55. So we should reopen the economy, continue social distancing, wear masks and gloves, and those over 55 can stay at home of they so choose.

Using local science and data, Orange County should be opening up tomorrow.

1. People do not wear protection gear. (Either they can not afford it, hard to find it at major stores, or do not care)
2. You can not tell only a person over 55 to not go out. Mean while other people can go out. (It will certainly lose in court and the judgement might bankrupt the city or county possibly using your scenario.)

The problem is there is no tracking system in place for people that have it. So they can go out and about. (Idk, maybe there is but I have not seen it advertised on the news)

Also, there is no mandatory quarantine if they come from another country or state.

Why not travel qwerty? It is so cheap to travel and take advantage.
Either you do not have enough vacation time or you even do not think it is safe to travel. I go with the last one.

It is the cheapest to travel probably in our lifetime. (airplane, hotels)
#lysol

Where is the mass testing like what the task force promised? It was supposed to be so widely available that a person can get tested at a drug store parking lot. That never happened, and he blamed the states for the lack of tests.
They fall short on the promise and vision.

Back