Retail Openings and Closures

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Urban Home in Spectrum going out of business (actually all Urban Home locations).  Sign says up to 80% off but probably means most stuff is 20% off with 3 ugly throw pillows at 80% off.

aquabliss said:
Urban Home in Spectrum going out of business (actually all Urban Home locations).  Sign says up to 80% off but probably means most stuff is 20% off with 3 ugly throw pillows at 80% off.

This place is doomed from day 1. I can see it with the over priced items and nothing really unique. The footprint of the store is huge, carry cost is high and generate little revenue. I am not surprise, just more surprise that they announce entire Urban Homes going out of business.

Recently went to Diamond Jamboree, looks like the Banh Mi shop closed and is now a Somi Somi (Taiyaki) store.

I didn't think that ice cream in a fish shaped waffle cone concept would work but the Spectrum location is crowded and so is the DJ one.

Went to the Alton center to check out the new tea place, Momomo (as opposed to momopi) and it was crowded like crazy.

I wasn't impressed but I'm also sad to report that the last Golden Spoon in Irvine closed (I think it's the last one). Maybe Yogurtland opening in the Woodbridge center was the final nail. So sad.

Someone will try the Sears concept again. In a few years maybe there will be a massively funded VC deal focused on competing with Amazon in dilapidated old class B malls ...

fortune11 said:
Someone will try the Sears concept again. In a few years maybe there will be a massively funded VC deal focused on competing with Amazon in dilapidated old class B malls ...

Hasn?t that now morphed into what Target and Walmart offer? The only missing piece is large home appliances and tools but that?s what Hone Depot/Lowes covers.

The coolest thing Sears once sold are houses in kit form shipped to your lot with all the parts ready for assembly. Richard Nixon's parents house in Yorba Linda is a Sears kit house and IHS got the design for Ellwood from an old Sears catalog.

irvinehomeowner said:
Went to the Alton center to check out the new tea place, Momomo (as opposed to momopi) and it was crowded like crazy.

I wasn't impressed but I'm also sad to report that the last Golden Spoon in Irvine closed (I think it's the last one). Maybe Yogurtland opening in the Woodbridge center was the final nail. So sad.

I finally tried Omomo Tea Shoppe at the Alton Square shopping center. I ordered the Omomo Matcha which was very tasty. It has a nice matcha flavor combined with tanginess from the cheese. It is not your typical boba drink place and I would come back to try another flavor.

Just don't be in a hurry. There was no line to order at 11:30am but it still took them 15 minutes to make my drink. I would avoid this place on weekends. The line can be out the door and touching the parking lot.

348s.jpg

https://www.yelp.com/biz/omomo-tea-shoppe-irvine

Jimboy's Tacos in the Oak Creek shopping center opened (I don't know when).

Saw it a few weeks ago while going to I Can BBQ so decided to stop by.

It's basically fast casual Mexican food, the tacos were okay... had to try them (their Aliso Viejo location has closed so take that for what it's worth).
https://www.yelp.com/biz/jimboys-tacos-irvine-4?osq=jimboy's+tacos

BTW: Irvine Company's Retail Therapy app has a buy 1 item get 1 item free coupon for Jimboy's (and actually quite a few deals for most stores in TIC shopping centers).

Tried to go to Omomo (sorry not Momomo) but the line was out the door and almost to the parking lot. Still not sure what the big deal is with that place.

irvinehomeowner said:
Ready2Downsize said:

This makes sense. That Lowes is too close to Home Depot and there is another Lowes down Jamboree in The District.

Although this might be a sign of an eventual closure altogether, as OSH is owned by Lowes and those are all being closed too.

Maybe this will allow Ace to stay open.

We'll see how long Bed Bath and Beyond can stay open.

Wow - I would have thought they'd have closed the Lowes at the District. I'm guessing this is one where they wanted one Lowes in the general area and had an easier out from the marketplace (vs. the Tustin Legacy).  Or a more financially attractive out. 

Back