Retail Openings and Closures

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
qwerty said:
on barranca where the old burger King was by the walmart there will be a Habit opening there.
Dangit... you beat me to that one.

That center is actually going to fill out now that Walmart has opened there... all the vacant spaces at the front have been leased and of course... a new Chase bank has opened there.

So we bailed out the banks so that the bigger ones could expand? I read an article in the OCRegister that Irvine is the top city for consumer banking... no kidding.

Bonefish Grill opening soon at Tustin Marketplace where Black Angus use to be...looks good... kinda like a Taps but cheaper

Sushilicious closed in that Irvine Center Drive plaza (where I-Tea is). A Japanese restaurant looks to be opening up in its space or beside it.

To our surprise, Pinkberry in the Spectrum closed. Casey's Cupcakes opened in their location (really?).  We tried Casey's, it was okay... Frostings in Lake Forest is still better.

irvinehomeowner said:
Sushilicious closed in that Irvine Center Drive plaza (where I-Tea is). A Japanese restaurant looks to be opening up in its space or beside it.

To our surprise, Pinkberry in the Spectrum closed. Casey's Cupcakes opened in their location (really?).  We tried Casey's, it was okay... Frostings in Lake Forest is still better.
I don't get the appeal of the $3 cupcake.  Really bad qpr (quality price ratio).

It's just trying to cash in on the fad of cupcakes, with all those cupcake baking shows on TV.  A bit like gourmet ice creams, smaller portion sizes, but much higher unit cost.  As with all fads, this too shall pass.  Same with all those froyo shops.  On to the next fad!

jayl23 said:
It's just trying to cash in on the fad of cupcakes, with all those cupcake baking shows on TV.  A bit like gourmet ice creams, smaller portion sizes, but much higher unit cost.  As with all fads, this too shall pass.  Same with all those froyo shops.  On to the next fad!

Froyo is good...lowfat alternative to ice cream.  The expensive cupcake are fadish but really good for kids birthday parties. 

Gelato is the one that I never got...they're are good but $4 a scoop? Some Costco up north sell gelato for $1.50 for 3 scoops and a waffle cone.

frostings has been open for a while so not sure how fadish it is.  it beats making cupcakes at home that probably wont be as good and you dont have to worry about cleaning.  the grocery store cupcakes are not as good.  seems like nothing bundt cakes does ok, and it will only do better as the rest of tustin legacy gets built out.

Just like anything else, the cream rises to the top.  So not all the cupcake/fro-yo/rotating sushi/gourmet burger places will close - just the ones that aren't that great.  Also, as with anything else, the business plan also matters.  Some expand too aggressively and in sub-par locations. 

jayl23 said:
As with all fads, this too shall pass.  Same with all those froyo shops.  On to the next fad!

Frozen yogurt is a fad? It became a hit in the U.S. 30 years ago i.e. Golden Spoon. Mid-80s. That's a long time for a fad. TCBY has been around a while, too.

SoCal said:
Frozen yogurt is a fad? It became a hit in the U.S. 30 years ago i.e. Golden Spoon. Mid-80s. That's a long time for a fad. TCBY has been around a while, too.
It's a fad because many of the other stores (like Penguins etc) are no longer open.

It revived again with the Pinkberry/Red Mango style (limited flavors, lots of toppings) and then that slowed down and now Yogurtland and the self-serve copycats are the new fad (even some Golden Spoons have gone the self-serve route).

A fads doesn't mean it disappears, it's just not as popular as it used to be. Hula hoops were a fad, but they are still around.

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
It's a fad because many of the other stores (like Penguins etc) are no longer open.

It revived again with the Pinkberry/Red Mango style (limited flavors, lots of toppings) and then that slowed down and now Yogurtland and the self-serve copycats are the new fad (even some Golden Spoons have gone the self-serve route).

You've just described the definition of a trend almost word for word. :)

A fads doesn't mean it disappears, it's just not as popular as it used to be. Hula hoops were a fad, but they are still around.

Yes, it does. A fad is a flash in the pan. A trend has staying power. A trend survives the decade in which it was born or longer. A trend can be modified and re-manifest later. It becomes part of our cultural DNA.

--->Please Click Me to save SoCal some effort.<---

Replies in blue.

I thought this was a cute way of explaining it, taken from one of the links I provided:

"We need look no further than sociologist Dr. Dre on "Encore," the title song from Eminem's latest album:

I'm a trend, I set one every time I'm in/ I go out and just come back full circle again/You a fad that means you something that we already had/ But once you're gone you don't come back/ Too bad, you're off the map now radar can't even find you."

Frozen yogurt, is no more of a "fad" than are any of these: coffee houses. sliced bread. the internet.

In my mind, one is defined by single event while the other is a collection of events over time.

For example, a trend can be that froyo stores open and close every X years, but the fad is the popularity of a certain type of froyo store.

Let's go micro to further explain, in Irvine, in the 80s, there were probably 4-5 different brand of froyo stores... Heidis, Penguins, Golden Spoon and some independents. Then the froyo shop "fad" died, only Golden Spoon remained. In the 2000s, Pinkberry, Red Mango and some other one I forgot the name of opened... none of those are open now. Yogurtland has 3 locations now in Irvine (I think Cherry On Top closed, and Yogurt Passion also closed). That's fad behavior to me, from your link to Wikipedia:
Though the term trend may be used interchangeably with fad, a fad is generally considered a fleeting behavior whereas a trend is considered to be a behavior that evolves into a relatively permanent change.
You can say the trend is that froyo stores open and close in Irvine, but that's not really calling froyo stores itself a trend. If multiple stores were always open in Irvine, that would be a trend... but because they are "fleeting", it's a fad. And because each iteration of the froyo concept is different, that goes to your flash in the pan description.

Maybe the confusion is you are thinking "frozen yogurt" itself is a trend... the OP was talking about "froyo shops".

I didn't see the reply before I posted.

I always wondered what it would be like to have a little brother to argue with.  :) Now I know.  :)

Pick Up Stix is now open at Harvard & Main.  Sorry if this is a repost.

elgringo said:
When I was at the plaza at Harvard & Main, I noticed that a new Pick Up Stix would be opening.  The sign said "Late 2012."  Hopefully that means "Soon!"

The Pick Up Stix in QH is also open.

I remember when they first started and they expanded and then contracted... now it seems they have more locations than their first expansion.

Another waffle place is opening up in Irvine, at Culver and Alton (which I assume is the center where ClaimJumper's used to be)... I think the name is Gauffre but I couldn't find any information on the web for it. I wonder how they will stack up against Bruxies (which does look like it's going into the Fuji-Kan space).

Back