NBA 2014-2015

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
As a GSW fan, the only thing good about the Cavs winning would be LBJ getting the credit he deserves.  He's not Jordan but a close second...much better than Kobe.

its this thinking that i have never understood. if one believes Jordan is the best, how can you not have Kobe as #2?  Kobe is almost the mirror image of jordan on both offense and defense. i personally think lebron is better than both but the jordan force is too strong.

Kobe is a lesser Jordan clone but LBJ is better IMO...Kobe also blow up his own team because of his ego. 

AW said:
Lbj gets all the stats but when the game was on the line, he either misses shots or don't take them.
There were several late game iso plays where he just passes it back out.  Mj or Kobe will take those shots, make or miss, we've seen a lot of them taking and making last shots to win.

I would totally disagree with this but even assuming it's true...LBJ sets up his team to win for the first 59 minutes and 30 second a lot better than Kobe.

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
As a GSW fan, the only thing good about the Cavs winning would be LBJ getting the credit he deserves.  He's not Jordan but a close second...much better than Kobe.

its this thinking that i have never understood. if one believes Jordan is the best, how can you not have Kobe as #2?  Kobe is almost the mirror image of jordan on both offense and defense. i personally think lebron is better than both but the jordan force is too strong.

Kobe is a lesser Jordan clone but LBJ is better IMO...Kobe also blow up his own team because of his ego. 

jordan blew up plenty on teammates, he punched steve kerr. at least Kobe was trying to punch shaq.

qwerty said:
so for those that have Jordan as #1, who do you have as #2?

Who cares?  Second is the first loser :)
But also, Jordan is first ALL time. Including all the old dudes some of us have never seen. No one. And I repeat no one has Kobe as best of all time. Is he even the best laker ever?

qwerty said:

Jordan is No. 1 not only for what he did on the court but him making the NBA into a worldwide league.  Gatorade, Nike, and other NBA related sponsors owe their success to Jordan.

LBJ is no. 2 because of his incredible abilities and his relative lack of ego.  Can play and guard all 5 positions.

Nos. 3-5 gets tricky.  I would say that Kareem, Russell, and Wilt are there.

AW said:
Lbj gets all the stats but when the game was on the line, he either misses shots or don't take them.
There were several late game iso plays where he just passes it back out.  Mj or Kobe will take those shots, make or miss, we've seen a lot of them taking and making last shots to win.

i do agree that lebron appears to be less clutch, i think Cowherd on 710 had some stats that lebron actually shot better than kobe on final shots. perhaps its a matter of quantity since kobe has hit more or perhaps his game winners were in bigger games.

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:

jordan blew up plenty on teammates, he punched steve kerr. at least Kobe was trying to punch shaq.

Definitely but Kobe sabotaged his team in other ways...Jordan and Kobe would not be as "great" in this era of free agency and high salaries.

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

Jordan is No. 1 not only for what he did on the court but him making the NBA into a worldwide league.  Gatorade, Nike, and other NBA related sponsors owe their success to Jordan.

LBJ is no. 2 because of his incredible abilities and his relative lack of ego.  Can play and guard all 5 positions.

you are bringing off the court stuff into the argument, those things are irrelevant - im talking basketball skills.

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

No ego??  Let's just start with the decision. dogfight between him and Kobe to see who tops the #1 ego list

Irvinecommuter said:
AW said:

I would totally disagree with this but even assuming it's true...LBJ sets up his team to win for the first 59 minutes and 30 second a lot better than Kobe.

Taking the 1st 2 games of this finals, he had a chance to win as the ball was in his hands and missed both.
Kobe will take many bad shots, like impossible ones, but makes a lot of game winning shots. 

Jordan trumps them both. Takes and makes game winning shots, and doesn't take bad shots.

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

No ego??  Let's just start with the decision. dogfight between him and Kobe to see who tops the #1 ego list

What?  The Decision was whatever...it raised a ton of money for charity and players clamor to play with LBJ, not Kobe.

Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

What?  The Decision was whatever...it raised a ton of money for charity and players clamor to play with LBJ, not Kobe.

Ask love how that clamoring worked out.

bones said:
qwerty said:

But also, Jordan is first ALL time. Including all the old dudes some of us have never seen. No one. And I repeat no one has Kobe as best of all time. Is he even the best laker ever?

Kobe is the best laker ever. most people will say magic because he was so likeable and was the face of the showtime era. but magic was nowhere near the athlete Kobe was, could not defend the way kobe could and could not score the way kobe could.  people who think magic was the best laker. a lot of times people consider the greatest the person of their era. alot of the current journalist grew up with jordan and will never give kobe, lebron, or others.  lebatard did a good job the other day on his radio show showing stats of jordan doing the finals that are no better than some of the stats lebron is having in this series trying to debunk the jordan hype.

AW said:
Irvinecommuter said:
AW said:

Taking the 1st 2 games of this finals, he had a chance to win as the ball was in his hands and missed both.
Kobe will take many bad shots, like impossible ones, but makes a lot of game winning shots. 

Jordan trumps them both. Takes and makes game winning shots, and doesn't take bad shots.

LBJ is the only reason why the Cavs are up in this series...he has played nearly every moment of the series with multiple defenders on him. Kobe has had the luxury of playing with insanely good big (Shaq, Gasol) and good supporting cast.  Even Jordan had Pippen and quality players like Kerr, Kukoc, and Armstrong.

Everyone in the building and watching the game knows that Lebron is going to take the last shot.  Who he is going to pass it off to?  JR Smith?

qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:

Kobe is the best laker ever. most people will say magic because he was so likeable and was the face of the showtime era. but magic was nowhere near the athlete Kobe was, could not defend the way kobe could and could not score the way kobe could.  people who think magic was the best laker. a lot of times people consider the greatest the person of their era. alot of the current journalist grew up with jordan and will never give kobe, lebron, or others.  lebatard did a good job the other day on his radio show showing stats of jordan doing the finals that are no better than some of the stats lebron is having in this series trying to debunk the jordan hype.

Hmm..best Laker ever was Kareem.

AW said:

jordan took plenty of bad shots. its memories like this why the jordan myth never dies.

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:

Hmm..best Laker ever was Kareem.

its all opinion, which is fine. cant argue opinion. my whole issue is just how so many people have jordan #1 and kobe is somewhere between 5 - 10.  i consider myself to be pretty reasonable and logical so if i had jordan #1, it seems like kobe would have to be a close #2, or even a distant 2. but to start putting all of these other players in between jordan and kobe seems a little absurd given that jordan and kobe are identical in many respects.

AW said:
Irvinecommuter said:
AW said:

Lebron is a better "closer" than Kobe...not to mention that Lebron's size allows him to take less difficult shot.
http://swishnba.com/tag/the-truth-about-kobe-in-the-clutch/

See thats the prob. Most people, even laker nation, have a hard time agreeing on who's the best laker of all time. Yet everyone usually has MJ or LBJ as 1. Therefore, Kobe can not be 1 or even 2. It's just logic :)

Back