NBA 2014-2015

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
So about halfway through the season and Lakers are 12-29. Will they even be better than their 27-win season last year WITH Kobe for more games?

Hindsight time:

1. Kobe should NOT have got paid $48m.
2. Phil probably would not have made a difference (anyone see how good NY is?).
3. So glad Melo did not come to LA.
4. Make a run at Aldridge, do a Miami and let KD talk to any other superstars he wants to join the Lakers.

The only question is whether they'll blow it like last year and not suck quite enough to get first pick in the draft.
#WorstofAllWorlds

Kobe getting brittle, shooting left handed now..  this is getting painful to watch.  Only highlight for this year is a compilation of Swaggy post game interviews:  that's entertainment.

Here's one from Jordan:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNVL2jxI07Y

So this season's stats show that the Lakers have only a slightly better record (.286) with Kobe than without him (.250).

What are they paying $48m for?

#KobeHatin

we all know Kobe is only good for business. they are paying $48m for the revenue that Kobe brings in.

irvinehomeowner said:
So this season's stats show that the Lakers have only a slightly better record (.286) with Kobe than without him (.250).

What are they paying $48m for?

#KobeHatin

Did you guys catch this article? Kobe, the next Charles?

If Charles Barkley is serious about leaving sports broadcasting when his current contract with Turner Sports expires in 2016 (the prediction in this space is that he will ultimately end up extending his stay with Turner) the network needs to think about a succession plan. The truth is no one can replace Barkley, the most impactful and valuable studio analyst on sports television today. But there is a name out there who could have a Barkley-like impact on an NBA studio show or remote broadcast if he has interest in broadcasting as a post-NBA career.

His name is Kobe Bryant.

There are certain traits shared by the best sports broadcasters: intelligence, passion, credibility and honesty. Personally, I like a bit of edge and distance from the establishment, too. Bryant possesses all of these. If you talk to NBA beat and national writers, Bryant has become one of the best interview subjects in the game. That he?s also an all-time great is a huge marketing bonus.

? Kobe Bryant: Retirement has 'crossed my mind'

"If he chose to do it he'd be incredible," said ESPN Los Angeles senior writer Ramona Shelburne, who has covered the Lakers since 2003. "He's sarcastic, smart, insightful, fearless. Think the player version of Jeff Van Gundy. I'm not sure he's fun enough for the typical NBA pre and postgame show. The guys that thrive there are the ones who always sat around in a locker room after a game, BS-ing with other players and reporters or coaches. I've seen Kobe do that from time to time, but only when he's soaking his feet in an ice bucket. The rest of the time, he's all business ? He is singularly focused on basketball. That level of focus has keeps him at a distance from a lot of people. Yes, he forms friendships with players around the league, but they are the 'mutual admiration' kind of friendships. I think that distance is actually what would make him a great broadcaster. If he's able to call Pau Gasol his 'brother' in one moment and then tell him he needs to put his 'big boy pants on' in another moment, just think about what he might say with a player he didn't like and admire.?

If Bryant indicates he is serious about a broadcasting career after his NBA career ends, industry sources say he?d command $4 million to $5 million annually, if not more, because there would be a heavy competition for his services. ESPN (whose studio show is based in L.A.) and Turner are guaranteed to be interested.

"He?s obviously smart and articulate and he would be a great candidate," said Turner Sports senior vice president and executive creative director Craig Barry. "But like any job there is a certain amount of passion that the person needs to have for the day to day. That element of passion and wanting to share the game is a huge part of being able to connect with the viewer. That?s a huge part of being a successful broadcaster and I think Kobe would be great at it. But he would have to want to do it."

ESPN NBA host Sage Steele sees the fit.

"He's got the resume, the look, he's got the ability to properly articulate his thoughts, and so much more," Steele said. "But most of all, he isn't afraid to give his opinion. So many broadcasters in every sport have awesome insight and strong opinions but once that red light turns on, they are too worried about what their peers who are still in the game will think if they hear it. Will Kobe want to work hard enough to be a genuinely good television analyst? It isn't easy. It takes a lot of hard work to stay up on every aspect of the game. So could he be great? Absolutely."

Bryant has been a frequent guest on TNT?s Inside The NBA during his career and Barry described him as ?smart, concise, articulate, with the ability to poke a little fun at himself.? The Turner executive said they would love to have Bryant as a guest analyst if the Lakers failed to make the playoffs and that he would absolutely reach out to Bryant after he retired to take his temperature on broadcasting.

What television role would best fit Bryant? It?s an interesting question because one?s personality and acumen suggest a better fit for either the studio or a remote analyst position. Barry said he thought Bryant would be equally adept at both.

"Part of what makes great television is great chemistry and who he was working with would be a big part of his success," Barry said. "Chemistry would be a big part of the puzzle."

One 7-foot-1 part of that puzzle could be Shaquille O?Neal, who is already part of Inside The NBA. If the Turner execs could swing it with their egos, how great would it be to have Kobe and Shaq on the same set?

"They were a super duo on the court and regardless of what transpired between them, and I can?t speak to it as an authority, there is no reason they could not be one in a broadcasting scenario," Barry said.

So what is Bryant?s interest in broadcasting, if any?

Bryant has not discussed any post-career plans publicly and on Sunday he declined comment to SI for this piece via a Lakers spokesperson. But those close to him say he is far more likely to head into business rather than broadcasting or the business of basketball. Last year he purchased a Newport Beach office for his international headquarters. Still, one thing Bryant and his Kobe Inc. advisors will no doubt consider, as Magic Johnson did, is the value of appearing on television to push a post-career business brand. That?s what ESPN and Turner should sell Bryant on with any pitch.

"He?s pretty much shot down all the conventional post-career tracks we've asked him about -- coaching, front office work, even ownership," Shelburne said. "He's too intense, too unforgiving and stubborn to coach players who don't have that same mentality. At least for now, he seems really focused on building up Kobe Inc., the line of products he's developing and business ventures he's creating with Andrea Fairchild, a former Nike and PepsiCo executive. Over the summer he told me he's busier than he's ever been as he trained for the season and worked on building up Kobe Inc. I think he has a vision for what life as a businessman would look like, and the types of things he wants to invest his time in once he does this full time. But until he retires and really is doing this full time, I don't think any of us, including him, know if that will be enough for him. Personally, I can't see him walking away from basketball entirely. You can't go from obsessed with something for 30 years to quitting cold turkey."
http://www.si.com/nba/2015/01/18/kobe-bryant-charles-barkley-cbs-nfl-thursday-night-football

The California Court Company said:
we all know Kobe is only good for business. they are paying $48m for the revenue that Kobe brings in.
True... but since they are sitting him so much, they might as well not even paid him.

No one goes to Laker games to see Kobe on the bench (and sometimes not even at the game).

irvinehomeowner said:
The California Court Company said:
True... but since they are sitting him so much, they might as well not even paid him.

No one goes to Laker games to see Kobe on the bench (and sometimes not even at the game).

Plus aren't TV ratings down? And whoever the cable network that gave them all that money unhappy?

Back