irvinehomeowner said:
OC Health now has city-by-city data:
https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/coronavirus-in-oc

City          Pop          Cases
Irvine 280,202 33
Tustin 81,369 4

Total Cases
Deaths

As of today according to the report Irvine and NB top 2 in OC.

Interesting. Most infected age group is 46-64. None infected under 17.
Aliso Viejo has 2. I should have moved there when I had a chance. JK.

Mety said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Irvine 280,202 33
Tustin 81,369 4

Total Cases
Deaths

Congratulations Irvine!  "World's Safest City"

The top 5 based on percentage infected are:

1. Newport Beach ~ 0.037%
2. San Juan Capo ~ 0.024%
3. Dana Point ~      0.020%
4. Laguna Niguel ~ 0.016%
5. San Clemente ~ 0.015%

All of the above are rather wealthy, older, white, and adjacent to the coast.  Irvine ranks in 10th place based on percentage.

Liar Loan said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Irvine 280,202 33
Tustin 81,369 4

Total Cases
Deaths

Congratulations Irvine!  "World's Safest City"

Way to be insensitive.

Hope you were able to close and move in time.

Liar Loan said:
The top 5 based on percentage infected are:

1. Newport Beach ~ 0.037%
2. San Juan Capo ~ 0.024%
3. Dana Point ~      0.020%
4. Laguna Niguel ~ 0.016%
5. San Clemente ~ 0.015%

All of the above are rather wealthy, older, white, and adjacent to the coast.  Irvine ranks in 10th place based on percentage.

Don't you think that wealthier areas have a higher percentage getting tested?

If I'm poor, maybe not legal, do I want to or do I have access to get tested? Do I want to or have to work as much as I possibly can and if I'm sick that ain't happening, so I'm shutting up and not getting tested? Look at Santa Ana.... so many residents and so few cases. Do I believe that? Not for one second.

US daily deaths hit 402 today, up from 268 yesterday. I think we?re going to approach Italy/Spain?s rates from the numbers coming out of Louisiana, Michigan, and Philly.

Maserson said:
US daily deaths hit 402 today, up from 268 yesterday. I think we?re going to approach Italy/Spain?s rates from the numbers coming out of Louisiana, Michigan, and Philly.

Sure looks like we are.

Italy

189, 250, 175, 368, 349, 345, 475, 427 ,628, 793, 651, 601, 743, 683, 712, 919

USA

56, 49, 46, 113, 141, 225, 247, 268, 402

Kenkoko said:
Maserson said:

Sure looks like we are.

Italy

189, 250, 175, 368, 349, 345, 475, 427 ,628, 793, 651, 601, 743, 683, 712, 919

USA

56, 49, 46, 113, 141, 225, 247, 268, 402

These are the numbers that will suggest that #1 keep business and people lock down. #2 the markets will go south. #3 law makers will scramble to come up with another financial aids package. I am wishing for none of those, but only in my reality, not like going to happen.

I work in the healthcare industry this was shared with us internally. I am sharing it here as a public service.

Below is his personal account of the experience, which provides a very real look into what clinicians and caregivers are facing as they address this crisis. 

I received a phone call from the Program Director of the Inner City Health Program at ______ asking if I could come in to assist within the Emergency Room (ER) over the weekend. Multiple staff had been sent home to self-isolate due to positive exposures over the past week; other staff had called in mentally fatigued and unwell, and Friday afternoon the ER saw a record breaking number of individuals with signs and symptoms of COVID-19.

After parking my car, I walked into what appeared to be a war zone. A long line of patients standing six feet apart lined up out the ER entrance door. People waiting to be seen by an ER physician, hoping to get screened and assessed for whatever ailment or symptom they might have. People walking in looking for masks, multiple people stealing isolation gowns, gloves and even standing in front of the automatic Purell dispensers filling up Tupperware containers of hand sanitizer.

The day staff were exhausted and, after receiving report, I quickly learned what the healthcare system is expecting to face over the next weeks (or months) to come. Three of my patients that night had to be intubated for acute respiratory distress most likely caused by COVID-19. One, a young secretary from a Family Health Practice, had a respiratory rate of 48 breaths per minute, and oxygen levels in the low 80's even though she was receiving full oxygen.

Constantly it was a repetitive task: mask on, gown on, hand washing, gown off, mask off? all night. Our hands dry and stinging from the frequent use of harsh hand sanitizer, soap or the rough paper towels. A simple task that would normally take just a few minutes now was a much longer ordeal. The need to have laboratory specimens double bagged and walked to the lab for analysis. ?Clean? staff to get supplies from storerooms; the careful navigation of transferring suspected patients to other areas of the hospital; the constant phone calls from family checking on their loved ones (since no visitors are allowed). Just when you would get a patient out of the room, a new one was already lined up for that bed.

And bed space is in high demand. Vulnerable populations (i.e. those from the shelter system / homeless) cannot go back to their shelter, so the City has a designated hotel for these patients to self-isolate. That hotel was completely full just four days after opening. This resulted in us having to put three to four of them into a single room - sleeping in a reclining chair, no privacy, bagged meals and the constant noise of a busy emergency room.

Staff are afraid. Afraid that this pandemic isn?t going to go the way everyone thinks it will. While people complain about being stuck at home, these healthcare workers are putting themselves into the line of danger to care for those people who didn?t adhere to the warnings by our government. Worried that they will bring this virus home - sleeping in the basement, or even their cars to keep their loved ones safe.

Last night, one of my patients died from COVID-19. He had a long, complex history of respiratory problems - but this virus is running rampant in the homeless population. Standing by his side as his oxygen levels kept dropping. Listening to the thick gurgling secretions blocking his airway. I couldn?t let him die alone, standing for 40 minutes by his side, dressed in layers of protective equipment, holding his hand and reassuring him he wasn?t alone. It?s been a while since I had to deal with a patient dying, but no time to mourn, other sick patients waited.

This morning we ran out of isolation gowns. We were low on face shields. Reading the news about Washington State where the healthcare staff have no more PPE (personal protective equipment) left, and had resorted to using ski goggles and bandanas for protection. And this is just the beginning.

Staff are being re-deployed throughout the hospital. Units are being converted to COVID-19 spaces. Policies and procedures change on a minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour basis. Staff leave fatigued, overwhelmed and exhausted - only to sleep for a few hours and return to it all over again.

Please remember to wash your hands. Avoid going out into public, only when essential. Listen to our health professionals and government. Together, we have the chance to decrease the severity of this pandemic. Together, we are strong.

Cornflakes said:
And this is just the beginning.
That's the worst part.  I envision a day in the future where there will be a portion of society "living normally" as we still think of normal, going about their daily business, shopping in stores, playing in parks, and going on vacations.  They will all be carrying "COVID Cards" to prove they have already recovered from COVID-19.  The other portion of society will still be hunkered down, waiting for their turn, a vaccine, a cure, or for the last documented case to mark an end to the pandemic.

morekaos said:
We have a wonderful opportunity here to use a marker and watch the very public story of actual infection.  The public will follow Tom and Rita?s every tweet, ache and symptom. What a wonderful study....how much you wanna bet Eye, that they come through this just fine?  Won?t even make a good made for TV movie.

Tadaaa...this will thankfully be the experience of the vast majority of people who contract this...less the private jet.

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's quarantine is over: Hollywood couple struck down by coronavirus pictured smiling in LA after flying back home from Australia via private jet

The pair were the first celebrities to go public with their coronavirus diagnosis on March 11
They self-isolated in Australia and regularly kept their fans updated on their health status
They had been in the country while Hanks was filming a Baz Luhrmann movie about Elvis Presley
They flew back to the US on Friday via private jet and were later spotted driving home in a black SUV 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8162099/Tom-Hanks-wife-Rita-Wilson-LA-coronavirus-quarantine-Australia.html

For the folks in healthcare (kenkoko/cornflakes/others)

Are the People going to ERs/hospitals there because they actually have emergencies related to covid19? Or are they there because they are exhibiting symptoms of covid-19?

From what I?ve read you should only go to an ER if you have shortness of breath or perhaps a fever that has not gone away after three days. Do all of the folks going to the ER actually need the ER? 

I guess the question is: is the healthcare system being overwhelmed just by covid19 related necessary visits to the ER/hospital? Or is it being bogged down by those who are experiencing the milder-type systems?

The government and news warnings / education have been successful so far. ER patient volume is significantly lower than normal in many parts of the country including SoCal. Yes, NYC hospitals are suffering but as Governor Cuomo said in a recent press conference, other regions will experience peaks at different times. We have NOT peaked in SoCal yet. All area hospitals are in disaster mode and preparing for the coming COVID-19 surge.

Anecdotally I have noticed lower volume but higher acuity. Colleagues at multiple other area hospitals report the same. The minor/urgent care type complaints (sprained ankle, mild cough, mild fever, mild headache etc...) are much less. What's left are people with more urgent issues: chest pain, stroke, severe abdominal pain, moderate to severe flu like symptoms / possible COVID-19. In the coming days to weeks, I anticipate more moderate to severe respiratory illness patients to start coming in. I just hope it doesn't overwhelm us.

This is where healthcare needs the public's help. IF you don't take warning seriously and stay at home/ social distance, the viral curve will take a sharp uptick like Italy & NYC. Patients will drown your local ER and ICU's and possibly force heart wrenching decisions about who should get the last ventilator.

As far as practical advice: don't go to the ER for minor symptoms and COVID testing. If you have no symptoms, they will not test you. Even if you have some minor symptoms and no risk factors, they will likely not test you. Many ER's are following Orange County Public Health recommendations for testing: Only testing symptomatic patients in high risk group such as older than 65 with chronic medical issues  / healthcare worker / residents from a nursing home / contacts of a confirmed COVID patient / hospitalized patients.

For minor symptoms or non urgent medical issues call your own doctor first. Also many hospitals and medical paractices are starting to offer telehealth services. Certainly if you have more serious symptoms don't hesitate to call 911 or go to your local ER.
qwerty said:
For the folks in healthcare (kenkoko/cornflakes/others)

Are the People going to ERs/hospitals there because they actually have emergencies related to covid19? Or are they there because they are exhibiting symptoms of covid-19?

From what I?ve read you should only go to an ER if you have shortness of breath or perhaps a fever that has not gone away after three days. Do all of the folks going to the ER actually need the ER? 

I guess the question is: is the healthcare system being overwhelmed just by covid19 related necessary visits to the ER/hospital? Or is it being bogged down by those who are experiencing the milder-type systems?

First, OC residents with mild symptoms please call first before going to a hospital or ER. 

We are seeing a small uptick but still fully functional so no need to panic. We are watching NY development closely and are preparing accordingly.

So far the big spikes we have are people asking to be tested and Covid-19 related questions.

Just to clear up a misconception many people have. Please know that calling for an ambulance to take you to the ER does not mean you will be treated faster. You still get screened at the ER and will wait to be admitted accordingly. Plus ambulance service is expensive and likely will cost you out of pocket money even if you have decent insurance.

Thanks IAC. Very helpful.

One last question - probably too hard to answer but any insight would be helpful.

What % of those that show up to ER with Covid-19 symptoms actually should have just stayed home because their symptoms did not actually require an ER visit?

I?m guessing there is a decent % because of the fear factor of having a new virus?

Back