coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Not really that big a consequence.  Those items are widely used and have a long to infinite shelf life.  Hopefully the limits will keep the shelves from getting so empty to stem the panic. 

That would actually be good.  All the doom scenario that keep getting trotted out are based off the 20% hospitalization rate and 3%ish mortality. I've seen some estimates that put the actual load at 8-9 undiagnosed for every one diagnosed.

I saw a number earlier on TI here, I think yours, where they guess we had 250,000 if we tested like South Korea.  That, I think, would be the best case scenario.  If we actually have 250,000 with it, but only 2000 in the hospital and 200 dead, that's flu numbers. (At 60,000,000  infected that ratio is 46,000 dead)

This is why wide spread testing is so important .

Panda said:
I can understand why the politicians may not want to. If all the Americans were tested like the South Koreans, the confirmed cases will be Italy x 6. I am pretty we will be the number #1 confirmed country in the world. 50 million is the American population above the age of 65. Imagine 6% of this population passing away from the virus. Now something this would completely rock our country.

Bullsback said:
qwerty said:
Seriously. Governments are crippling the world. Absolutely amazing.

It?s almost as if politicians are trying to see who can outstupid  each other the most.
I wish we would just test all Americans at this point. I have a vague theory that we would find out we have a massive number of people who were infected with the virus with zero to no symptoms at all. If we had that data, I wonder if reactions/responses would be different.  The caveat to that is, if so many people have the virus with no symptom, it would be critical for those who are at high risk, stay quarantined. Let the masses get the virus and than rely on more herd immunity. 

eyephone said:
Compressed-Village said:
Senator Dumped Up to $1.6 Million of Stock After Reassuring Public About Coronavirus Preparedness
Intelligence Chair Richard Burr?s (Republican N.C.) selloff came around the time he was receiving daily briefings on the health threat.

https://www.propublica.org/article/...ssuring-public-about-coronavirus-preparedness

I am not surprised. Not at all.

Looks like corona is not the only thing contagious...

Revealed: Four senators dumped millions in stocks while Capitol Hill was being briefed on the coronavirus threat but BEFORE markets started tanking

[url]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8132245/GOP-senator-gave-dire-coronavirus-warning-heeled-constituents-Capitol-Hill-social-club.html
[/url]

Did the suppliers that provide supplies to hospitals sell every thing to hoarders? Was it all shipped in from China? Did regular replacement shipments stop?

I'm trying to understand how the hospitals don't have basic supplies already? (other than they've been running with near zero excess capacity?)

qwerty said:
I paid my property taxes a couple of weeks ago but was curious if they were going to push back the deadline. Nope, stills due 4/10.

I?m kinda glad this one is due now, because who knows if I?ll be able to pay that huge chunk in December.  At least I have 8-9 months to figure it out.

Please Please Please cite sources if you are going to post potentially panic-inducing statements.  (or has your account been hacked by Russian trolls?)

This will not happen, since most essential (health/safety) personnel need gas to get to work

zubs said:
Rumor has it that gas stations are going to close for 48 hours soon.
Why?
To keep people at home.

Lean, Six Sigma, Just-in-time.

Healthcare is just like every other business.  Just a few days supplies are normally on hand.  Supply chain originates in China, just like all low-cost disposables!  (Hopefully they are ramping up the factories to the max now that they are on the backside of the curve)

nosuchreality said:
Did the suppliers that provide supplies to hospitals sell every thing to hoarders? Was it all shipped in from China? Did regular replacement shipments stop?

I'm trying to understand how the hospitals don't have basic supplies already? (other than they've been running with near zero excess capacity?)

daedalus said:
Not really that big a consequence.  Those items are widely used and have a long to infinite shelf life.  Hopefully the limits will keep the shelves from getting so empty to stem the panic.

In a way it is. In am guessing there are some people that buy knowing the fact that they can return it.

Innosint said:
75k and below. My mother and sis both in the group.  Im curious on how they even plan to distribute it.  Direct deposit to all tax return account?  Mail to everyone means that if one employee of usps terminal is infect.....then there goes the neighborhood

I knew it sounded too good to be true.

aquabliss said:
qwerty said:
I paid my property taxes a couple of weeks ago but was curious if they were going to push back the deadline. Nope, stills due 4/10.

I?m kinda glad this one is due now, because who knows if I?ll be able to pay that huge chunk in December.  At least I have 8-9 months to figure it out.

Good and bad at the same time, what if we all get a reduction in prop tax next cycle? Good that it lower your bill, bad that prop also drop in values it comes down to policies makers at the helm that the average Joe suffers.

A note about Senator Burr (R-NC) who sold stock after getting briefed on Coronavirus. Yes, it looks bad... but IS it bad?

Per the articles on this Burr sold many of his position s on 2/13/2020. For those playing along with me on this, Feb 13 was around "Page 9 of 50" (so far) within this thread.

Any smart investor might look at the news on the ground - as we all had in hand back then - and sell.

Doesn't change the optics and this isn't a cover story for bad behavior. It's adding some context to this that readers of this blog thread can go back and see where we were at that time - pretty well informed on risk, but also not willing to act. I'm in that group. I did not sell and impacted like the rest of us. For those who did sell, congrats!

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
A note about Senator Burr (R-NC) who sold stock after getting briefed on Coronavirus. Yes, it looks bad... but IS it bad?

Per the articles on this Burr sold many of his position s on 2/13/2020. For those playing along with me on this, Feb 13 was around "Page 9 of 50" (so far) within this thread.

Any smart investor might look at the news on the ground - as we all had in hand back then - and sell.

Doesn't change the optics and this isn't a cover story for bad behavior. It's adding some context to this that readers of this blog thread can go back and see where we were at that time - pretty well informed on risk, but also not willing to act. I'm in that group. I did not sell and impacted like the rest of us. For those who did sell, congrats!

My .02c

The difference here imho is they acted on hard evidence and info, insider information, while fanning that it?s all well and under control. Most hard working people are at work and tend to their daily jobs and tasks at hand and only to realize it when the substantial loss occur. It never ever time perfect for the average investors. Where we are heading next is VERY important at this point.

Multiple NBA players on different teams that all played the Jazz.

So I wonder if Gobert was NBA Patient Zero (they said because he had contact with people who flew in from France).

Is anyone else getting psychosomatic symptoms?

Every time I read about Covid I feel like my throat is scratchy and it's difficult to breathe.

#TIPatientZero?

nosuchreality said:

I work in healthcare and happened to be in on a conference call recently with a supplier so I can shed some light on this. Bear in mind it was specifically about the heavy duty N-95 mask used by health-care workers.

Supplier was explaining why they could not fill our regular order and the need to raise prices

- Masks made in China. Some essential parts of the mask were mostly made in Hubei province near where the Wuhan outbreak is
- Production already ramping up but struggling to meet skyrocketing demand both locally and globally
- Time required for obtaining new licenses to operate additional factories capable of producing masks that meet the standards for use by health-care professionals.
- Global shortage and supply bottleneck for melt-blown fabric. It?s an extremely fine mesh of synthetic polymer fibers that forms the critical inner filtration layer of a mask.
- A machine to make melt-blown fabric cost over 4 million dollars and require 6 months to put together.

My .02c

If you find out about a nation-threatening pandemic and your first move is to adjust your stock portfolio you should probably not be in a job that serves the public interest.

Anyone who coughs in public gets the stink eye from anyone nearby today.

While travelling back from SF last week at both stops for gas and "facilities use" as people finished their business a few were leaving the restrooms without hand washing. (Both sexes were guilty in case you were wondering). Off they went, spreading who knows what down Interstate 5.

Evidently you can't fix stupid.

My .02c

Anyone who coughs in public gets the stink eye from anyone nearby today.

While travelling back from SF last week at both stops for gas and "facilities use" as people finished their business a few were leaving the restrooms without hand washing. (Both sexes were guilty in case you were wondering). Off they went, spreading who knows what down Interstate 5.

Evidently you can't fix stupid.

My .02c

You can not fix stupid. But where is my check?

Back