coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Irvinehomeseeker said:
I have been thinking about the same question above. I hope the administration and our leaders are considering the same.
UK seems to be taking the watch and watch approach.

I say we throw everything we got to funds and accelerate all possible venues and resources with the brightest mind at develop the vaccine. If we able to shore up a trillion dollars for some industries we can do this for the medication that can treat and cure the world population. Why is money spent to prop up stock market and not fix the root of the problem which is covid 19 and the fear and the disorder will subside tenfold.

It took nearly 30 years to find the right mix of drugs to suppress HIV-AIDS. The kind of "all in" actions taken to solve Ebola contagion resulted in a somewhat successful vaccine in about 3 years time. We might catch a break here and have something in hand sooner than expected, but these kinds of breakthroughs aren't solved by money as much as they are by behavior changes - a tough thing to accomplish, but the fastest one known so far to work.

I'm with you on the Stock issue. Why the Tang Menace hasn't shut the markets yet is beyond me, Some say negative rates are coming soon. My guess is it will be Helicopter Money, as Bush did in the 2000's, but who knows at this stage!

My .02c

Ohhhhh shutting the stock markets would be a bad idea.  It would freeze liquidity then be followed by banks shutting down or freezing accounts, then rioting and martial law with the national guard patrolling the streets of Hidden Canyon in Humvees.

Cannot do it, the markets should run their course even if it means 60%+ drop in equities.  Guarantee there?s still people with deep pockets that will buy when the time is right and make a crapload of $. 

The markets are efficient enough to bounce back.  The biggest 500 companies in the US can?t really be worth half of what they were 3 weeks ago, but that might be their valuation by end of the month.  Wish I had more powder.

Not too far fetched the way things are proceeding. Looking at the rate of spread in Europe/Italy, the US will be in for a world if pain. I can see Trump declaring national mandatory 14 day quarantine and keeping only essential businesses open (food, gas, healthcare). Then set price controls for short term. It would be painful for everyone and stock market would take nose dive but this may save lives. Hopefully he does this sooner than later. Many public health experts recommend drastic measures early rather than waiting till it spreads beyond control.

PSForever said:
This is from an "alternative" site so take it for what it is, however, I thought their scenario was interesting and somewhat plausible based on the panic buying happening now and the already increasing tension among shoppers. 

BREAKING: Federal government to control and oversee grocery distribution with govt / private sector partnerships: Wal-Mart, Costco, Target, Kroger, top grocery chains to be deemed ?critical infrastructure? ? Discussion in progress to secure food supply chain, using the national guard to do so.  Possibility of having drive through grocery whereby each family can purchase fixed priced food kits with basics such as milk, eggs, meat, bread, etc.
https://www.naturalnews.com/2020-03...trol-grocery-distribution-national-guard.html

Very weird right now. Many places closing early.

Grocery stores shortened their hours too which makes it harder for me because I used to go late night or early morning to avoid crowds... I have always been a social distancer. :)

The Department of Health and Human Services reportedly came under siege from cyber attackers on Sunday as the department contends with the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

We are clearly at war. Cyberwarfare attacked at the critical hub of information for the public. This is really bad.

Soylent Green Is People said:
With China and South Korea both seeing a leveling off of new cases, the peak is still ahead for the US. My guess is that the worst of it will be April/May, then a steep decline due to steps we've taken as a nation. Bear in mind that H1N1 killed 12,000 American's in 2009 (About 250k globally). No hoarding or mass panic took place then. Work from home orders were not given. Bars stayed open (as did theme parks!) yet 12,000 dead American's were the result of the last pandemic

I think it would be a mistake to base your guess on China and S Korea.

China has enacted the largest mass quarantine in human history (over 50 million people forced quarantined!) They are also taking massive measures like sterilizing the entire city twice a day.

S Korea has one of the best testing system in place. Testing over 10k people daily. We have more than 6 times their population and we are doing less than 500. Also culturally S Koreans take pub health threats much more seriously than we Americans do. Best practices matter tremendously in a pandemic.

We have neither the capacity nor the public will that?s needed to bend the curve like  China or S Korea.

If you want to base your guess on another country, Italy is probably your best case. I think they just reported 368 coronavirus death on Sunday alone.

aquabliss said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
With the WFH option - employers seem to be offering this option but not making it mandatory to help slow the virus. I am wondering if I take the option while some others in the team decide to come into office for next 3 weeks, will I be viewed  disadvantageously by management at work?

I wish our leaders at work set an example by wfh during this period.

Any one else in this situation?

Same situation here.  With inevitable layoffs coming up I don?t want to be viewed as the employee who took advantage of the flexible WFH policy and gets cut.

I know my manager doesn?t like WFH (he?s told me in confidence) but is forced to offer it.  They say this has no bearing on your performance evaluation but you know the fact that you went home is stuck in their minds.

Not a good situation to put your employees in, and I don?t think anyone will be hiring anytime soon so we?re at their mercy.

60+ % of our company is WFH including my boss and boss's manager.  The other 40% is every other 2 weeks in/out of the office (this will probably change).  My wife's company just made it mandatory to WFH starting the 18th.  My mom's company is WFH starting tomorrow for anyone that isn't mission critical or needs to be in the office, with today grabbing what they need from the office to bring home.

I think WFH going to be the norm, hopefully your managers don't hold it against you.

Joke's on me.  My company is so flooded with WFH people that they can't handle the volume.  I cannot log in to work through the VPN.

that's the issue with WFH.

One of the younger hotshot at my mother's after/Chinese school is pushing for online education for all students since the start of this virus

Sure, that's fine, but I know the network probably better than their hired IT girl (I used to volunteer there pretty frequently) and the facilities's internet speed and structure is not capable to handle heavy internet traffic from WFH and online teaching.

Funny thing is, their whole superiority complex over my mother was the fact they know how to work with the internet, but when my mother brought the package of question and concerns regarding to work/teach online that I prepped, they didn't have answer to most of them.

If the IT in your company is underfunded, been slacking in recent years, or too cheap to pay for faster internet speed  they are in for a rude wake up call.

Innosint said:
that's the issue with WFH.

One of the younger hotshot at my mother's after/Chinese school is pushing for online education for all students since the start of this update.

Sure, that's fine, but I know the network probably better than their hired IT girl (I used to volunteer there pretty frequently) and the facilities's internet speed and structure is not capable to handle heavy internet traffic from WFH and online teaching.

Funny thing is, their whole superiority complex over my mother was the fact they know how to work with the internet, but when my mother brought the package of question and concerns regarding to work/teach online that I prepped, they didn't have answer to most of them.

If the IT in your company is underfunded, been slacking in recent years, or too cheap to pay for faster internet speed  they are in for a rude wake up call.

Pdf the worksheets on the website. Lol

Kenkoko said:
Soylent Green Is People said:
With China and South Korea both seeing a leveling off of new cases, the peak is still ahead for the US. My guess is that the worst of it will be April/May, then a steep decline due to steps we've taken as a nation. Bear in mind that H1N1 killed 12,000 American's in 2009 (About 250k globally). No hoarding or mass panic took place then. Work from home orders were not given. Bars stayed open (as did theme parks!) yet 12,000 dead American's were the result of the last pandemic

I think it would be a mistake to base your guess on China and S Korea.

China has enacted the largest mass quarantine in human history (over 50 million people forced quarantined!) They are also taking massive measures like sterilizing the entire city twice a day.

S Korea has one of the best testing system in place. Testing over 10k people daily. We have more than 6 times their population and we are doing less than 500. Also culturally S Koreans take pub health threats much more seriously than we Americans do. Best practices matter tremendously in a pandemic.

We have neither the capacity nor the public will that?s needed to bend the curve like  China or S Korea.

If you want to base your guess on another country, Italy is probably your best case. I think they just reported 368 coronavirus death on Sunday alone.

Yea, we don't have the capacity like S. Korea.  We are probably worst than Italy. 

Hospital beds per 1,000 people:
South Korea: 12.3
Germany: 8.0
France: 6.0
China: 4.3
Italy: 3.2
United States: 2.8
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/14/21179714/coronavirus-covid-19-hospital-beds-china

daedalus said:
Joke's on me.  My company is so flooded with WFH people that they can't handle the volume.  I cannot log in to work through the VPN.

Wish I had that problem, been logged in since 5.

Devil's advocate:

You also need to take into account scale, geography and infrastructure.

Italy, for example, is roughly the same size as California... but they have over 60m population while we have less than 40m.

The Vox article credits China for being able to build temporary hospitals but we can use current infrastructure as hospitals... stadiums, gyms, etc (all of which are not being used due to sports being cancelled).

But this is also why social distancing and flattening the curve is important... even if you are not worried about yourself (ahem morekaos), everything helps to prevent overloading our healthcare system.

This "simulator" helps illustrate the theory:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

But why is the the healthcare system getting overloaded? Are people just going to rush to the hospital at the first signs of a cold? I read about cancer surgeries being put off because of a surge in Coronavirus. It?s quite amazing

qwerty said:
But why is the the healthcare system getting overloaded? Are people just going to rush to the hospital at the first signs of a cold? I read about cancer surgeries being put off because of a surge in Coronavirus. It?s quite amazing

Math.  Scarily simple math.

It is a combination of only having 2.8 hospital beds per 1000 population.

It is also only having about 62,000 ventilators.

And about 50,000ish ICU beds.

Now, most  the ICU beds are already full.  Not with Covid-19, but with normal flu, CoPD, car accidents, regualr life.  Same with ventilators.

You add Covid-19, the problem boils to the 20% critical of the cases identified so far.  That's hospitalizations.  Many of which then need ICu or ventilators. 

But that is national.  The problem is local, really local.  Hospital level.  A 150 bed hospital probably has 20 ventilators.  Outbreak cluster, particularly if hitting elderly populatoon quickly overwhelms local capacity.

Back