coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
morekaos said:
Don?t live in fear Eye. I don?t, my mom doesn?t either. Be happy and grateful. To live in fear will only make you miserable. Face life with joy.

Like the homeless person ranting in front of the store.  If you've tried once,  you just side step and ignore them.  No point in arguing with intentional misinterpetation and seeing the invisible.

All I got to say. I am not the one telling people it is just a flu. But if Morekas wants to make the conversational emotional why not talk about puppies and kittens also.

Why don?t you just ignore him?

Online social distancing!!!

Governor Newsom of California ordered bars to close, restaurants to operate at 1/2 capacity (patrons) and those 65+ to enter into a state of home isolation.  Asked if he would enforce these orders, Newsom said he doesn't think he will have to as he expects businesses and individuals to comply, however, he made it clear that he has the authority to enforce these orders if it becomes necessary.
https://www.presstelegram.com/2020/...lifornians-65-or-older-must-isolate-in-homes/

Just got back from happy hour...place was packed. Feel sorry for the waitress if governor nuisance closes all the bars. >:D

This is from an "alternative" site so take it for what it is, however, I thought their scenario was interesting and somewhat plausible based on the panic buying happening now and the already increasing tension among shoppers. 

BREAKING: Federal government to control and oversee grocery distribution with govt / private sector partnerships: Wal-Mart, Costco, Target, Kroger, top grocery chains to be deemed ?critical infrastructure? ? Discussion in progress to secure food supply chain, using the national guard to do so.  Possibility of having drive through grocery whereby each family can purchase fixed priced food kits with basics such as milk, eggs, meat, bread, etc.
https://www.naturalnews.com/2020-03...trol-grocery-distribution-national-guard.html

PSForever said:
This is from an "alternative" site so take it for what it is, however, I thought their scenario was interesting and somewhat plausible based on the panic buying happening now and the already increasing tension among shoppers. 

BREAKING: Federal government to control and oversee grocery distribution with govt / private sector partnerships: Wal-Mart, Costco, Target, Kroger, top grocery chains to be deemed ?critical infrastructure? ? Discussion in progress to secure food supply chain, using the national guard to do so.  Possibility of having drive through grocery whereby each family can purchase fixed priced food kits with basics such as milk, eggs, meat, bread, etc.
https://www.naturalnews.com/2020-03...trol-grocery-distribution-national-guard.html
I hope this is false news.

Serious question to ponder, and I ask this as someone who in general agrees that drastic measures are needed if we want to slow this down by any perceptible amount:

We can estimate the death toll of the virus and know roughly how many will die if we do nothing.

What is the social and economic cost of fighting it?  Which alternative is worse?

I have been thinking about the same question above. I hope the administration and our leaders are considering the same.
UK seems to be taking the watch and watch approach.

With the WFH option - employers seem to be offering this option but not making it mandatory to help slow the virus. I am wondering if I take the option while some others in the team decide to come into office for next 3 weeks, will I be viewed  disadvantageously by management at work?

I wish our leaders at work set an example by wfh during this period.

Any one else in this situation?

Irvinehomeseeker said:
With the WFH option - employers seem to be offering this option but not making it mandatory to help slow the virus. I am wondering if I take the option while some others in the team decide to come into office for next 3 weeks, will I be viewed  disadvantageously by management at work?

I wish our leaders at work set an example by wfh during this period.

Any one else in this situation?

Same situation here.  With inevitable layoffs coming up I don?t want to be viewed as the employee who took advantage of the flexible WFH policy and gets cut.

I know my manager doesn?t like WFH (he?s told me in confidence) but is forced to offer it.  They say this has no bearing on your performance evaluation but you know the fact that you went home is stuck in their minds.

Not a good situation to put your employees in, and I don?t think anyone will be hiring anytime soon so we?re at their mercy.

daedalus said:
Serious question to ponder, and I ask this as someone who in general agrees that drastic measures are needed if we want to slow this down by any perceptible amount:

We can estimate the death toll of the virus and know roughly how many will die if we do nothing.

What is the social and economic cost of fighting it?  Which alternative is worse?

If we do nothing, we would face massive civil unrest. Even if you take an extremely optimistic death rate of 1%, that?s over 3 million deaths. That kind of death count would mean we stop being a first world country.

As to which alternative is worse, I think it depends on where you stand on the current social and economic totem pole. I think everyone who?s on TI has benefited from the current social and economic order. To preserve the current social and economic order we can?t afford to do nothing. On the opposite end, there are definitely people who will be happy to watch the current world order burn down.

I think a lot of people (including the Trump administration) are betting on the situation not getting too dire. Therefore, you see this level of slow response to almost inaction.

morekaos said:
3 million deaths? Are you assuming 100% infection? That?s ridiculous.
He asked a hypothetical question - if we do nothing. If we do absolutely nothing (which we won't), 1% death rate is extremely optimistic.

I know you support Trump but this kind of triggered response is not a good look.

I was in SF this weekend. The place is an utter ghost town. No waits for tables, no parking issues. Need a room? No problem.... At night there were a few groups of skaters rolling down Sutter, not straight down, but weaving slowly side, to side, to side, to side, as there was no opposing traffic to stop them. The drive through the financial district was traffic free - no Uber's, no taxi's, and thankfully not as many hobo's either. They may be hiding away as well to protect from infection. We heard only one or two sirens overnight - usually in the dozens.

With China and South Korea both seeing a leveling off of new cases, the peak is still ahead for the US. My guess is that the worst of it will be April/May, then a steep decline due to steps we've taken as a nation. Bear in mind that H1N1 killed 12,000 American's in 2009 (About 250k globally). No hoarding or mass panic took place then. Work from home orders were not given. Bars stayed open (as did theme parks!) yet 12,000 dead American's were the result of the last pandemic

BTW, I do so love this infographic:
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/

Today's Coronavirus state of mind is driven by the short attention spans American's have, the amplification of any issue, good or bad, by Social Media, and a well earned distrust of Corporate Media which blurs what passes as truth today - something the Coronavirus battle sorely needs right now. That's all a pretty toxic brew for any society, especially now for one dealing with a genuine pandemic, making things seem that much worse than things really are.

In the end, this too will pass. I hope all of the hoarders will then donate their perishables to local food banks and soup kitchens - the one I recommend is here:http://www.someonecareskitchen.org/

My .02c

Back