coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
qwerty said:
bones said:
Yea I agree. I?ve also stopped disinfecting every inch of my life. Unless I?m kissing the amazon prime guy/gal, the packages they deliver are safe. Just wash hands after handling.

This is why going back to the schools thing - I?m less concerned about the cleaning and more concerned about everyone being on top of each other.

Just signed up today as a side gig.

I?ll be there tomorrow for my first delivery :-)

bones said:
Just wash hands EVERYTHING after handling.

Fixed.

Kings said:
qwerty said:
bones said:
Yea I agree. I%u2019ve also stopped disinfecting every inch of my life. Unless I%u2019m kissing the amazon prime guy/gal, the packages they deliver are safe. Just wash hands after handling.

This is why going back to the schools thing - I%u2019m less concerned about the cleaning and more concerned about everyone being on top of each other.

Just signed up today as a side gig.

I%u2019ll be there tomorrow for my first delivery :-)
i have a delivery tomorrow, can i get some kisses too?

I thought you do not believe in masks and the that covid is a hype hoax.
Go to the IE with Liar. (since he sold a house in the inland empire)

Open for business no mask required in the inland empire)

iacrenter said:
While AI is getting better everyday, it is not ready for primetime and can't replace your radiologist....yet. A large study in JAMA (March 2020) found that no single algorithm could beat radiologists reading mammograms. Other researchers have found limitations of AI when applying them to different patient populations / data sets while looking for pneumonia.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2761795?resultClick=1
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...e-medical-care-don-t-trust-it-read-your-x-ray

The goal of current AI isn't to replace radiologists. It's to enhance and compliment the delivery of healthcare.

Although that day will come in the future. Even medical students recognize this and some are already avoiding radiology.
https://www.radiologybusiness.com/topics/leadership/ai-medical-students-radiology-medical-imaging

Yes, the current tech is not ready for prime time in the US.

But that's more due to our strict regulations and lack of public investments. China is already rolling them out into practice.

China is in position to leapfrog US in AI and Machine learning. It's time we embrace innovation and at least match the Chinese investment into AI. This is the next race to global dominance in my opinion.

Whaaaa... the cdc is wrong about something? The disease is not so easily transmitted? How can that be?  Aren?t we all supposed to be sick by now? #believeallwomen...oh sorry i meant #believescience.

Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' by touching surfaces or objects, CDC now says. But it still 'may be possible'.

"COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads," says the CDC's recently updated guidelines. "It may be possible for COVID-19 to spread in other ways, but these are not thought to be the main ways the virus spreads
?Many people were concerned that by simply touching an object they may get coronavirus and that?s simply not the case. Even when a virus may stay on a surface, it doesn?t mean that it?s actually infectious,? Whyte was quoted.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/20/coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-surfaces-objects-cdc/5232748002/

Kenkoko said:
iacrenter said:
While AI is getting better everyday, it is not ready for primetime and can't replace your radiologist....yet. A large study in JAMA (March 2020) found that no single algorithm could beat radiologists reading mammograms. Other researchers have found limitations of AI when applying them to different patient populations / data sets while looking for pneumonia.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2761795?resultClick=1
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...e-medical-care-don-t-trust-it-read-your-x-ray

The goal of current AI isn't to replace radiologists. It's to enhance and compliment the delivery of healthcare.

Although that day will come in the future. Even medical students recognize this and some are already avoiding radiology.
https://www.radiologybusiness.com/topics/leadership/ai-medical-students-radiology-medical-imaging

Yes, the current tech is not ready for prime time in the US.

But that's more due to our strict regulations and lack of public investments. China is already rolling them out into practice.

China is in position to leapfrog US in AI and Machine learning. It's time we embrace innovation and at least match the Chinese investment into AI. This is the next race to global dominance in my opinion.

I agree there should be more research and investment into AI. I'm just cautious about using AI in clinical scenarios too quickly. These algorithms need to be thoroughly vetted and used in multiple settings before being released.

morekaos said:
Whaaaa... the cdc is wrong about something? The disease is not so easily transmitted? How can that be?  Aren?t we all supposed to be sick by now? #believeallwomen...oh sorry i meant #believescience.

Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' by touching surfaces or objects, CDC now says. But it still 'may be possible'.

"COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads," says the CDC's recently updated guidelines. "It may be possible for COVID-19 to spread in other ways, but these are not thought to be the main ways the virus spreads
?Many people were concerned that by simply touching an object they may get coronavirus and that?s simply not the case. Even when a virus may stay on a surface, it doesn?t mean that it?s actually infectious,? Whyte was quoted.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/20/coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-surfaces-objects-cdc/5232748002/

In a similar vein, the CDC published this yesterday re: opening of schools and people lost their minds on social media.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html

Admittedly, I didn't read the whole thing, but some blogs have consolidated the list into a graphic.  The highlights (or lowlights) were:
1. wear masks
2. no sharing devices/toys/games/learning aids
3. desks 6 feet apart and facing the same direction
4. sneeze guards if not 6 feet apart
5. no shared spaces (cafeteria/playgrounds)
6. pack lunch
7. no field trips, assemblies, etc
8. no switching classes/teachers, commingling

Most cases reported in a single day by WHO, tops 100k:
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...rus-cases-one-day-total-number-nears-n1211321

More than 100,000 coronavirus cases were reported to the World Health Organization in the previous 24 hours, "the most in a single day since the outbreak began," Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday.

"We still have a long way to go in this pandemic," he said at a news conference in Geneva. "In the last 24 hours, there have been 106,000 cases reported to WHO ? the most in a single day since the outbreak began."

Now, granted, this could also be because we have much more testing now but this just shows that it's not over.

Also, a Columbia University model shows that if the US locked down 1 week earlier, we could have saved 36,000 more lives, 2 weeks could have prevented 54,000 deaths:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/21/columbia-study-coronavirus-deaths/

The U.S. could have prevented roughly 36,000 deaths from COVID-19 if broad social distancing measures had been put in place just one week earlier in March, according to an analysis from Columbia University.

Underlining the importance of aggressively responding to the coronavirus, the study found the U.S. could have avoided at least 700,000 fewer infections if actions that began on March 15 had actually started on March 8.

The U.S. currently has more than 1.5 million confirmed COVID-19 cases, and more than 93,000 people have died from the disease, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

In the analysis, researchers applied transmission models to data drawn from the pandemic's actual course county-by-county in the U.S. ? the worst-hit nation in the world. The main focus of the study was the period from March 15 to May 3, when U.S. states and counties implemented "measures enforcing social distancing and restricting individual contact."

And if restrictions had gone into effect in the U.S. two weeks earlier, researchers found, nearly 54,000 people would still be alive and nearly a million COVID-19 cases would have been avoided.

So much for the qwerflatearth theory that flattening the curve does not reduce the number of deaths. :)

Hey guys I just did a study and determined that if we were all locked in our homes since Jan 1st, we could have saved 100% of the deaths in US. 

The Columbia study doesn't even deserve to be called a study.

Are those models looking at it at a point time? Is so, then it makes sense that as of that particular point in time those people would still be alive, but if those same people would get the virus later would they would have probably died anyway as I don?t believe we overwhelmed the medical system.

All of this is absent a treatment/vaccine

Flatten the curve = delay of deaths not save lives

qwerty said:
Are those models looking at it at a point time? Is so, then it makes sense that as of that particular point in time those people would still be alive, but if those same people would get the virus later would they would have probably died anyway as I don?t believe we overwhelmed the medical system.

All of this is absent a treatment/vaccine

Flatten the curve = delay of deaths not save lives

You still don't understand the concept of flattening the curve. It doesn't delay deaths, it reduces them by having enough medical resources available to save people who would die without them.

Look at Montgomery Alabama, they are close to running out of ICU beds because of the late surge in Covid cases:
https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/mon...-beds-as-coronavirus-cases-double-in-may.html

Montgomery hospitals are starting to run low on intensive care beds, said Dr. David Thrasher, a critical care doctor at Montgomery Pulmonary Consultants. The four counties making up the Montgomery metro area have seen a combined 721 new confirmed coronavirus cases since May 4 ? an increase of 110 percent.

Mayor Steven Reed said the virus is straining the city?s hospitals.

?I?m concerned about the current status of the COVID-19 pandemic,? Reed said. ?We are seeing an increase in the number of people who test positive. Occupancy in our Intensive Care Units has reached a critical point and Montgomery hospital officials are now referring some cases to Birmingham.?

Beyond the numbers, Thrasher also has concerns about the faces he?s seeing. About 40 percent of his patients have been between the ages of 25 and 40. And although older people are more likely to die from the virus, he said he has treated many younger patients, including a couple hairstylists. Some of his younger patients haven?t survived.

But I guess it's okay if you look at it from a qwerspective of "if you die, you die".

#nolivesmatter

Modelling these parameters is useless and certainly making headlines with the "guesses" that influence outcomes of these models is folly.  (Remember Newsome's 22,000,000 infections in 8 weeks?)  These models can't even predict weather with any consistency they should not project deaths with so many variables unless you want to tailor an outcome to create a headline or influence a policy.

COVID-19: What?s wrong with the models?
So, absent actual data, assumptions about these parameters were made?guesses, actually?but these assumptions lacked the uncertainty that we would expect from actual epidemiological data. What do I mean by lacking in uncertainty? Imagine that you are trying to estimate the number of acorns in your neighborhood by the end of next year. You build a model that factors in many variables, such as the number of oak trees, the weather, and so on, but in the end you realize the model is most sensitive to the number of squirrels in your neighborhood and how much their weight changes over the winter. You could guess at those parameters. Or you could spend time measuring them and using actual data as the inputs to the model. If you choose the former, you are merely entering a value (or values) for the respective parameters. That?s your best guess. But if you choose the latter, you are probably not using a single, accurate number?it?s quite a project to count squirrels with any accuracy. Instead, you must use a probability distribution for the input.
[url]https://peterattiamd.com/covid-19-whats-wrong-with-the-models/[/url]

qwerty said:
And let?s be honest, those models are all garbage. Aqua just did one right now that is the most accurate I have seen

It should be noted that the difference between this and the predictive models is this actually used the pandemic data during the course of the last few months.

I guess both of you can be so callous because maybe you don't personally know anyone who's died because of Covid.

Why wear a seatbelt? Why take medications? Why teach our kids not to run with scissors? Why not let anyone buy fully automatic weapons? Heck... why even have hospitals? Let everyone fend for themselves.

Hyberbole is a 2-way street. :)

Our instant gratification society doesn't handle the slow feedback rate of the virus.

Interesting newish item on the CDC website.  Choir practice from March.  Reading through, I wonder if less attentive Director or less responsive community would have been.

mm6919e6_ChoirPracticeCOVID19_IMAGE_12May20_1200x675-medium.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e6.htm

Maybe we will be lucky and all we need is a swig of beer to knock it down.

Or should we just berate people for being sheep and concerned about the 98% survival rate for the Choir people?

Science may never get us to a point where the most extreme fearmongers will be satisfied that normal life must start again. The only virus that mankind has ever eradicated is smallpox. Smallpox has no nonhuman repository so we were able to kill that virus using mass vaccination. We cannot vaccinate bats, pangolins, and the other billions of possible life forms on this planet that may be harboring covid 19 so good luck eradicating covid 19.  In 1347-50 the bubonic plague killed 60% of London?s population but London survived because the people went on with their lives despite the sickness and the deaths. If Londoners had waited until they were "safe" from the plague to resume normal life (that would be in the 1950s when penicillin started production), Londoners would probably have evolved into some Gollum-like creatures by the 1950s:

soundstoppic.jpg

Happiness said:
Science may never get us to a point where the most extreme fearmongers will be satisfied that normal life must start again. The only virus that mankind has ever eradicated is smallpox. Smallpox has no nonhuman repository so we were able to kill that virus using mass vaccination. We cannot vaccinate bats, pangolins, and the other billions of possible life forms on this planet that may be harboring covid 19 so good luck eradicating covid 19.  In 1347-50 the bubonic plague killed 60% of London?s population but London survived because the people went on with their lives despite the sickness and the deaths. If Londoners had waited until they were "safe" from the plague to resume normal life (that would be in the 1950s when penicillin started production), Londoners would probably have evolved into some Gollum-like creatures by the 1950s:

soundstoppic.jpg

Karen?

How about ban all wet markets? How hard is that?
(Animals piss and crap on each other)

#alllivesmatter
Republicans used to say all lives matter. But that term is not in their vocabulary any more.

Happiness said:

soundstoppic.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
And let?s be honest, those models are all garbage. Aqua just did one right now that is the most accurate I have seen
I guess both of you can be so callous because maybe you don't personally know anyone who's died because of Covid.

Why wear a seatbelt? Why take medications? Why teach our kids not to run with scissors? Why not let anyone buy fully automatic weapons? Heck... why even have hospitals? Let everyone fend for themselves.

Hyberbole is a 2-way street. :)

Hey, as I?ve said before, I personally know 8 people who have had this. 2 are colleagues in my office ( both asymptomatic, never knew they had it) 2 firefighters, one captain.. both said was a bad flu but recovered, 2 doctors, one cardiac surgeon (85 years old) and a 56 year old anesthesiologist... both said was a bad cold and 2 white collar workers, again, bad cold, full recovery. Almost all more than qualified to describe their illness in detail. All recovered, no one close to hospitalization. No deaths...open, open open!!!

Back