Work in office or remote?

What kind of position do you prefer?

• Work in office

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Work remote

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Hybrid office (more office., some remote)

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Hybrid remote (more remote, some office)

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
I like the Bay but it's more expensive than Irvine.
I’m so over it - I relish coming home to beautiful LN every weekend. Even the 4 hour drive to Tahoe isn’t always that due to traffic - sometimes it’s longer than the drive to Mammoth from OC. The only attraction up here is money, like working in NY. People up here sort of look down on OC.

It’s on my dime as the founder wants the role based in the Bay. I was recruited for 7 roles over the past 3 months since we made the move back to OC and every one of them wanted the role based in the Bay. The reality for me is this is where I’ve built my network over 2 decades in semiconductor and software sales. And it’s binary in that these jobs largely don’t exist in OC because there aren’t other big technology companies to sell to in OC or LA. There are a few but it’s a small pond and I didn’t get recruited for any of them. At my level you don’t go after a job proactively unless your old boss who loved you is the HM - it comes to you.
I will probably end up doing the same for my next job. Current gig the whole team is in Sunnyvale and Seattle, i'm the only one in Irvine. previous jobs at different companies I had the same thing going.

If I am promoted one level though, it's actually still worth it if I have to pay for my own hotel and flight each week!

Do you just rent a room or an apartment, or do you have to book a (possibly different) hotel each week?

The bell is ringing…recess is over…🤦🏽‍♂️😂😂😂

Amazon tells employees to return to office five days a week​

• Amazon CEO Andy Jassy is instructing corporate staffers to work from the office five days a week.
  • Previously, Amazon required employees to be in the office at least three days a week.
  • Amazon is also flattening its corporate structure by having fewer managers in each organization.
Amazon has always been a meat grinder for the majority of employees. But the standout ones have always been (and will continue to) get exceptions.

Meta said the same thing last year but then they walked it back for anyone who was special/extra good.

Amazon has always been a meat grinder for the majority of employees. But the standout ones have always been (and will continue to) get exceptions.

Meta said the same thing last year but then they walked it back for anyone who was special/extra good.
Exactly. James Hamilton lives on a yacht, traveling around the world and don't need to be in office 5 days a week.
Who is James Hamilton? the architect behind Amazon's AWS which is Amazon's most profitable and highest growth division.

Last edited:
I will probably end up doing the same for my next job. Current gig the whole team is in Sunnyvale and Seattle, i'm the only one in Irvine. previous jobs at different companies I had the same thing going.

If I am promoted one level though, it's actually still worth it if I have to pay for my own hotel and flight each week!

Do you just rent a room or an apartment, or do you have to book a (possibly different) hotel each week?
I’m 3 weeks in and have been using Google’s booking engine to find hotel deals. I might go for an AirBnB next week, and will investigate furnished serviced apts. I’ll update the thread as I learn more about my options. Ive found the nicest 24 Hour fitness is the one on Saratoga Sunnyvale Rd so I try to stay as close as possible between there and Santana Row.

Back