The Backyard: Pergola, Covered Trellis, or sunshade ideas

acf

Hey guys,

I'd like to create more covered outdoor space in my backyard. I'm starting to poke around and collect ideas for what's possible. Has anyone done anything like this?

I'm wondering about things like size limits, distance from the walls, motorized shade covers etc.

I have 25.5 feet from my Great room wall to the lot separation wall.

One of the piedmont models has something very similar to this:
http://milesofwood.com/images/Pergolas/pergola-w-canopy.jpg

Something like this could be cool:
http://oztech.kr/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/1-3.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8c/08/30/8c0830fefdd68f119368c7075ce078d2.jpg
http://www.brightcovers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HILLRICH_BRONZE_w_GREEN_RESIZED.jpg

Really cool stuff.

Depends on the HOA and the city, if you are pulling permits.  City might have maximum coverage limits to consider it a patio cover.  If you exceed that limit, they might consider it a hard structure, and may have setback requirements among others.  Some HOAs have restrictions on that as well.

A neighbor of mine was able to get around limits by making the panels retractable, and looks very similar to your first link.

Good luck.

Thanks Gasman.

Yes, something like this would really make the backyard very usable. Some gym equipment, patio chairs or a hammock, you could even roll out a ping pong table from time to time.

I talked to the HOA and something like this is permitted, as far as the extent of it I'm not sure. I think retractable panels would be most ideal - sometimes you may want the light to come in.

Let me see if I can upload a picture of the sunshade in Piedmont's model. The supports go almost right to the side wall, creating the largest shaded area possible which I like.

Here's the photo of Piedmont's sunshade. I'd like to have something that's more covered than this, but the size and proximity to the wall is interesting. Also, the structure is not connected to the house at all which is nice.

Attachments

• IMG_6762.JPG
    IMG_6762.JPG
    527.5 KB · Views: 407
Personally not a fan of the glass or slot pergola designs.  I've always found that the sun and slots seem to always be in the right position to be annoying.

The first retractable is nice, not a fan of the piedmont one.  There's some issue with the gap around the retractable parts but not nearly to the extent of the others, imho.

What's the width of the area you're looking at.  You've got 25 feet to the back wall (wall to wall)  how much on the side? 

Maybe my personal taste, but when the cover takes over half the distance to the opposite all, it makes the entire area feel small and closed in.  Unless your great room is sunk into the side of the house, your patio cover probably maxes out around 14 foot.

acf said:
Here's the photo of Piedmont's sunshade. I'd like to have something that's more covered than this, but the size and proximity to the wall is interesting. Also, the structure is not connected to the house at all which is nice.

Freestanding will require setbacks from main building and/or property walls, and those are city requirements (again, assuming you are taking out permits).  That picture looks awfully close to the building, so they did some "creative" paperwork.  Is that the model?  I ask because model homes are not a representation of what the city and/or HOA will allow.

I'm working on something like this for my back yard but it's taken *forever* back and forth with HOA.  Basically I'm getting a lattice cover with double rafter and header beams, then will be putting the slide on wire sunbrella panels beneath the lattice for coverage when we need it. 

I'm also looking at getting 20w LED's in the rafter beams which I think will make it pretty unique. 

If you want to see the ultimate awesome patio cover with frosted fiberglass on top, check out the one on the patios at Brio and Del Frisco's in Spectrum.  I can imagine that cover would cost $20k+ but if money were no object, I'd get that.

Yes, it's one of the models. Are you saying they are potentially representing something that's not possible? lol

aqua - do you have any pictures of what you're going for? It sounds amazing, maybe something that I am looking for.

acf said:
Yes, it's one of the models. Are you saying they are potentially representing something that's not possible? lol

Absolutely.  In fact, if you look at the HOA architectural guidelines, they'll explicitly state something in the fine print to the tune of "just because it's in a model home doesn't mean it is compliant, nor will be approved".

gasman said:
acf said:

Absolutely.  In fact, if you look at the HOA architectural guidelines, they'll explicitly state something in the fine print to the tune of "just because it's in a model home doesn't mean it is compliant, nor will be approved".

All of these model homes have 20'+ trees in 5' side walkways that aren't permissible under the HOA's CC&Rs.

acf said:
aqua - do you have any pictures of what you're going for? It sounds amazing, maybe something that I am looking for.

acf, oddly enough I haven't really seen anyone do it the exact way I'm thinking, which is weird since there's tons of images available for these covers online.

Basically it will be a cover similar to this one:https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/81/65/3f/81653fc480db71c08f76876b46a87c77.jpg

Then I'll run the slide-on-wire awning in between the double headers (4ft apart).  Then I can space the shade as needed.  Also recessed lights in the rafter beams I haven't seen but my contractor said he can do it so crossing my fingers.

The closest picture I can find is something like this:https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/91/63/21/916321a347c26f716c5cb3dfcdd6379c.jpg

But even that one doesn't have rafters so it will look different. 

Nosuch, here are the rough dimensions of the backyard:

nosuchreality said:
Personally not a fan of the glass or slot pergola designs.  I've always found that the sun and slots seem to always be in the right position to be annoying.

The first retractable is nice, not a fan of the piedmont one.  There's some issue with the gap around the retractable parts but not nearly to the extent of the others, imho.

What's the width of the area you're looking at.  You've got 25 feet to the back wall (wall to wall)  how much on the side? 

Maybe my personal taste, but when the cover takes over half the distance to the opposite all, it makes the entire area feel small and closed in.  Unless your great room is sunk into the side of the house, your patio cover probably maxes out around 14 foot.

Attachments

• dimensions.jpg
    dimensions.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 228
Also now that I'm thinking about it, for me I would actually prefer a more solid cover (yet still retractable?) vs thin strips of cloth with gaps.

Wow nice find, It's like a giant shutter lol!

How much do you think it would cost for one of those at your size 20 X 17?

acf said:
Wow nice find, It's like a giant shutter lol!

How much do you think it would cost for one of those at your size 20 X 17?

Got a quote for $20k for the equinox.  That's why I'm not doing it :(

Back