Last Week of School

WillJoy said:
zubs said:
It looks like Amazon has one.
http://www.amazon.com/Elife-Portable-Anti-theft-smallest-tracking/dp/B00PRHFYXO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434665396&sr=8-3&keywords=tracking+device&pebp=1434665496788&perid=1Y8J9G65B71CXV34VRAF

Not too bad if you want to track your kids or a cheating spouse.....80 hour battery life.

Wat! My wife put on of these on my key ring and told me it was an emergency USB drive.

Or Mrs. WillJoy can just use one of those map-plotting / tracking features on the phone. I am not even sure what it's called. I'm looking at it right now but can't find the name. All I know is that it's on mine and I did not put it there. My husband did. I think it is creepy, like an "electronic leash". However, he has it on his, too, even though it never occurs to me to look at it. I've tried disabling it on my phone. But he knows right away (why? how?) and will ask why I disabled it. It's not even that I am "up to no good". I am not that kind of person. I just think it's creepy in general. He says it's for my "safety" so he can find me if something happens or if I get lost and don't know where I am, which, granted that has happened before but those were the days prior to GPS navigation. Also I don't really buy the safety thing. I've seen plenty of Dateline episodes where the person disappears and they find their phone lying in a dry creek bed on the side of a highway. Just because you know where somebody's phone is does not mean you know where they are. But I guess it's better than nothing and does provide instant accountability.

My mommy friends who live here in FR and teach in IUSD tell me yesterday was their last day. Congrats to those of you beginning your summer break. Our last day is Tuesday. Today, I learned my son will be getting special recognition at his graduation ceremony. It is an award for kids who got all A's and no more than 2 B's all the way from 4th through 6th grade. It's a blessing to have a smart and conscientious kid. Thanks to the tiger moms for keeping me on my A-Game.  :) 

SoCal said:
My mommy friends who live here in FR and teach in IUSD tell me yesterday was their last day. Congrats to those of you beginning your summer break. Our last day is Tuesday. Today, I learned my son will be getting special recognition at his graduation ceremony. It is an award for kids who got all A's and no more than 2 B's all the way from 4th through 6th grade. It's a blessing to have a smart and conscientious kid. Thanks to the tiger moms for keeping me on my A-Game.  :) 

Congratulations to you and your son. The hardwork is paying off.

Speaking of grades, any of your kids get a C?

One of mine has... I think they were more upset than I was. I don't worry about Cs unless I know it's a problem for them (they got an A in that same subject the next trimester). And even if they continue to get Cs, isn't that 'Satisfactory'? :)

irvinehomeowner said:

One of mine has... I think they were more upset than I was. I don't worry about Cs unless I know it's a problem for them (they got an A in that same subject the next trimester). And even if they continue to get Cs, isn't that 'Satisfactory'? :)

A "C"?  Dude, his/her letter of admission to IVC is gonna get rescinded ASAP!

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

A "C"?  Dude, his/her letter of admission to IVC is gonna get rescinded ASAP!
Hah... what kind of school do you think IVC is? There is even a C in their acronym! Like UCI!

irvinehomeowner said:

Well, the first thing I would do is verify if the C was legitimately earned. Remember -- My kids have attended both districts. It happens more often than a parent might realize. Incorrect grades can often be a result of 2 things that have nothing to do with the student's performance:

1) Teachers have a habit of letting students grade each others papers, which are often marked incorrectly. Example: Earlier this year, my son was upset to bring home a test marked with an "F". After a little, uh-hem, exchange of words, I sat down to look at the test. Each answer that was marked wrong, to my knowledge, was right. Some of them were stupidly simple and obviously right. I went through each one. Finally, I brought it to the teacher to be re-graded. Guess what. He didn't have an F. He had an A+! The kid who graded it either messed up or had it out for my son. Unfortunately, the child who graded the paper did not sign his name even though the students are required to do that. So, we will never know who sabotaged my kid's grade. Now, I always review it myself before reacting. The teacher changed the grade in her books.

2) Sometimes grades are typed into the online gradebook differently from what is hand-written. Teachers will sometimes have two sets of gradebooks (the Portal and the hard copy.) I SAVE EVERY PAPER AND RECONCILE EACH ONE WITH THE PORTAL. I've had several cases where the disorganized teacher marked my child's assignment as "Missing" which results in a 0% a.k.a. an F!. I whip it out and send it back to school. Or I sometimes take a pic of it and e-mail it to the teacher. Got to stay on the ball. That's another A the student earned that they would not have received credit for. As Ronald Reagan would say: "Trust but verify."

I'll stop so this doesn't get too lengthy but I have lots of tricks up my sleeve if anyone wants ideas.

Just got back from our graduation ceremony. I thought I was going to hold up just fine. But when they had the kids stand up as he was awarded the President's Education Award in gold, I was blubbering. He is one of the youngest (yet tallest) kids in the grade. If only I could go back and have a word with the doubting parents over the years who questioned my decision to let my "summer baby" start school with the older kids.  :D

I love my tall, handsome, smart boy. As I told him, he is truly my finest work on this earth.  :'(

Onto bigger & better things!

SoCal said:
WillJoy said:
zubs said:
It looks like Amazon has one.
http://www.amazon.com/Elife-Portable-Anti-theft-smallest-tracking/dp/B00PRHFYXO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434665396&sr=8-3&keywords=tracking+device&pebp=1434665496788&perid=1Y8J9G65B71CXV34VRAF

Not too bad if you want to track your kids or a cheating spouse.....80 hour battery life.

Wat! My wife put on of these on my key ring and told me it was an emergency USB drive.

Or Mrs. WillJoy can just use one of those map-plotting / tracking features on the phone. I am not even sure what it's called. I'm looking at it right now but can't find the name. All I know is that it's on mine and I did not put it there. My husband did. I think it is creepy, like an "electronic leash". However, he has it on his, too, even though it never occurs to me to look at it. I've tried disabling it on my phone. But he knows right away (why? how?) and will ask why I disabled it. It's not even that I am "up to no good". I am not that kind of person. I just think it's creepy in general. He says it's for my "safety" so he can find me if something happens or if I get lost and don't know where I am, which, granted that has happened before but those were the days prior to GPS navigation. Also I don't really buy the safety thing. I've seen plenty of Dateline episodes where the person disappears and they find their phone lying in a dry creek bed on the side of a highway. Just because you know where somebody's phone is does not mean you know where they are. But I guess it's better than nothing and does provide instant accountability.

It's called Find My Friends (at least in iOS).  It's actually very useful for common everyday use just to know where one is like if one is late or running errands (rather than having to call).

Back