Last Week of School

irvinehomeowner

Some of my friends said their schools have pool parties for their classes held by the school.

Is this normal or just on a per school basis? My kids didn't have pool parties their last week of school.

Really enjoying the no homework this week.

Now just have to figure out where to put them for the summer.

That happened with my child's class one year, a few years ago in SVUSD. They sent home permission slips for the kids to walk over to someone's house and play in their pool! I had to read the slip like 5x because I couldn't believe what I was reading, being the over-protective, paranoid helicopter parent that I am. Besides, they were only in 3rd grade at the time. I was really uncomfortable with every aspect of it. I sent an e-mail to the teacher about it. She said they had done it several years prior because this one neighbor was always willing to volunteer the use of their pool and that it was fine by the district. Weird. But next thing I know, we got an email saying it was cancelled. Apparently I wasn't the only cautious parent. Hadn't heard of this happening before or since... until this post! Are they doing those parties at an HOA pool or a private pool?

I believe it's at HOA pools. I don't think there is a real "public" pools in Irvine (maybe the Aquatics one near Irvine High?).

I would also be concerned if it was at someone's house without real life guards.

Our CDC has pool days during summer and it's one of the reasons we decided against summer CDC.  I believe it's at the HOA pool.  Thinking about it, lots of liabilities no?  Kid drowns, sue school/HOA/teacher.  Why would they even do this?

If you guys are helping out with your kids end-of-the-year parties, be careful out there in this sun & heat. I spent a few hours helping out at ours today at the park. Looking VERY "patriotic" -- (R,W,&B!) Owww. I'm in so much pain. Unfortunately, so is my child because although I brought sunscreen, I got so busy that I completely forgot to use it.  :-\ The poor kids were baking in the sun for hours. Not sure if this even applies to the majority on this site, though. Do Asians even burn? That is actually something I've wondered my entire life. Anyway, I digress... please be cautious. I'm already signed up to do another one on Friday. Don't know how I'm going to manage that now.

Looking forward to summer break!
1lg144palmshammock.gif

SoCal said:
Not sure if this even applies to the majority on this site, though. Do Asians even burn? That is actually something I've wondered my entire life.

Ha ha, Asian not only will get sunburn, some will rather die than expose to the sun. 

This is how some Chinese go to the beach.

120710_swim.jpg

I've seen those type of pics before but I thought it was to prevent a suntan rather than a sunburn...?

Everybody gets sunburns, even Rachel Dolezal. :)

Make sure you apply extra sunblock on the horizontal areas (relative to sun) of the body:  shoulders, bridge of nose, scalp (use spray), feet if you're in flip flops.  And also areas people usually skip:  ears, back, ankles/achilles, and middle of chest (usually for v-neckers). 

Yes, one of our kids had a school sponsored party this week at our HOA pool.  The other two had  "field trips" to Sky High. 

On another note, as I was walking by the school yesterday to pick up my kids, I heard a crowd of kids and someone that looked like a teacher counting down.  Then, I heard "you're all high schoolers now" and then cheers.  So, that must have been the eighth graders.  I'm not looking forward to that yet.  :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eguard-spots-struggling-child-sea-people.html

This article feels appropriate for this thread. Can't imagine why schools would do pool parties. Even with lifeguards (assuming they have them present?).

Whenever friends talk about doing pool parties for their kiddos birthdays, I always try to talk them out of it.  Was at a birthday pool party recently where some of the parents didn't get in the pool with their kids (<6 yo) despite the host asking them to in the invitation. The hosts spent the entire party in the pool and was stressed out trying to make sure all the kids were safe.

My son is at Knott's Berry Farm right now on a class field trip. It's a really strange feeling. I've spent his entire life (and a third of mine) making sure I don't lose him at theme parks. Now, I'm sending him off largely unsupervised. I'm the one with "separation anxiety", not him. Luckily, he is so tall and looks older than his age. However, he is still just a naive little boy from The O.C. bubble, stuck in a big body. For instance, I told him to take money to buy lots of drinks to stay hydrated. He thought $5 would cover it. Bah! He doesn't realize how costly theme park food is and $5 probably won't even cover a single drink let alone more. I sent him with $45. Knott's has gotten pretty thuggish over the years. I am hoping no punks or creeps bother the kids. I doubt he could even identify a "bad guy" if he saw one. Of course, all the worst scenarios are going through my head right now. I tried doing "practice skits" last night to rehearse what he should do in various dangerous situations. I played everything from a park employee to a manager to a random mom / bystander. I made my husband play a gang member and a creep and my other son play a member of his group being abducted or bothered. I was trying to test what he would do or should do. He just took it all as one big joke.  :-\ I am saying extra prayers today.

If they got an iphone or something you can track them using "find my iphone".
Has someone created a product that is small enough to fit in a shoe or pants that will allow parent to track them on google maps.
The device would have to be able to connect to cellular data, so a sim card would be needed with a subscription to a phone carrier.
Perhaps Verizon or some telephone company can create a tracker.

It looks like Amazon has one.
http://www.amazon.com/Elife-Portable-Anti-theft-smallest-tracking/dp/B00PRHFYXO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434665396&sr=8-3&keywords=tracking+device&pebp=1434665496788&perid=1Y8J9G65B71CXV34VRAF

Not too bad if you want to track your kids or a cheating spouse.....80 hour battery life.
FYI This is not my product.

Just stick this in your kids pants and you'll know where he's at for at least 80 hours.

irvinehomeowner said:
ps9 said:
So what have you used it for? Did you really attach one to little ps9?

Interesting how the lost item feature makes use of everyone else's phones... but it makes me wonder about safety/security.

One good use would be a cheap LoJack.

Necklace? Anklet? Not a bad idea considering the lax security at CDC.

When I was young, my mom put me in one of those leash/harnesses.

I still have my photo with the easter bunny to prove it.  I guess I was so much of a flight risk that they wouldn't even take it off for the one or two minutes that I took a photo with the easter bunny.

I put one in her backpack

We got a bunch of tiles as a gift, might as well use it.  Not ideal, the battery lasts about a year and you can't replace it. 

zubs said:
It looks like Amazon has one.
http://www.amazon.com/Elife-Portable-Anti-theft-smallest-tracking/dp/B00PRHFYXO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434665396&sr=8-3&keywords=tracking+device&pebp=1434665496788&perid=1Y8J9G65B71CXV34VRAF

Not too bad if you want to track your kids or a cheating spouse.....80 hour battery life.

Wat! My wife put on of these on my key ring and told me it was an emergency USB drive.

Back