How much money would you spend on Design Center?

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
thatOSguy said:
jmoney74 said:
I got my lights for a little over $100 per light installed.  The switch is pretty cheap.

Price I quoted was for LED, but that's still a good price. I also have a dimmer on all canned lighting. #addsup

Yes.. that price I got for my place was for LED.  Not just the bulb either.. they are LED modules. 

thatOSguy said:
jmoney74 said:
thatOSguy said:
jmoney74 said:
I got my lights for a little over $100 per light installed.  The switch is pretty cheap.

Price I quoted was for LED, but that's still a good price. I also have a dimmer on all canned lighting. #addsup

Yes.. that price I got for my place was for LED.  Not just the bulb either.. they are LED modules.

Wow. Who was the contractor?
http://www.go-spectrum.com/

thatOSguy said:
But... why would you install a fan in your "rental?"  :P
We may end up buying it.

(whoah... overshare)

I mean... if we were to find a house... theoretically... I would like to know what the cost would be since we would most likely buy resale and not new.

He has a guy to do install.  No idea if he has a license.. but did a fine job at my house.  So I'll personally vouch for it.  Also installed my pendant light. 

thatOSguy said:
jmoney74 said:
He has a guy to do install.  No idea if he has a license.. but did a fine job at my house.  So I'll personally vouch for it.  Also installed my pendant light.

No go. It's when you encounter issues that you'll wish he had a license and insurance. Like saying "he was a safe driver, I'll vouch for him," but he doesn't have a license nor insurance.  Penny wise, pound foolish to skirt that.

Yeah I hear ya.. but I've been through it enough times (with parents home) etc to feel confident in it.  Up to the owner, of course. 

qwerty said:
Well having a license doesn't guarantee they will install things correctly.

Right.. One time my inlaws hired a licensed guy.  One of the lights stopped working.. he never called back.  lol

For small projects: If you know the quality and reputation, then if the price is right then it's alright.

For big projects: I will hire a contractor that is licensed and have insurance.

thatOSguy said:
qwerty said:

Contractors can't get insurance without having a license. You can also look up claims against the contractor via the CSLB. Doubt you'll be able to recover on an HOI claim either.

My friend is a claims adjuster for mercury and his wife is a statefarm agent, I've asked them about this before. Homeowners will pay out for a fire started by work done by an unlicensed electrician.

I only know because we looked at a house in Serrano heights where they modified the floor plan (moved walls, outlets, etc) and the owner did it himself. It looked good, but I was still concerned because it was not permitted and they guy wasn't an electrician, so I asked my friends wife if a fire would be covered if it started from where this work was done and she said yes.

But your right, generally I'm risk adverse. That's why like you, we bought a less than we can afford and paying off the mortgage in 10 years.

thatOSguy said:
qwerty said:
thatOSguy said:
qwerty said:

Contractors can't get insurance without having a license. You can also look up claims against the contractor via the CSLB. Doubt you'll be able to recover on an HOI claim either.

My friend is a claims adjuster for mercury and his wife is a statefarm agent, I've asked them about this before. Homeowners will pay out for a fire started by work done by an unlicensed electrician.

You'd honestly let someone enter your home, cut into your walls and modify the electrical system on your home... that has no insurance or license to do so?

I thought CFOs were risk averse first, cheap bastards second?!  ;D
What you talking about? He's is a AP clerk with a high salary and great benefits.  ;) jk

Back