coronavirus

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
irvinehomeowner said:
Nice dice loading.

Not only is SD one of the lowest populated states, it's also one of the lowest density states (people per square mile):

Yet... it has more deaths/milion than at least 6 more densely populated states:

Snake eyes.

Which of course means that 44 OTHER states have higher deaths per million population.  Considering the social and financial benefits, who can fault SD's success.  Certainly not me, but you pretend to have all the answers.  Listening to purveyors of fear and Trump-hating, we would never open back up. After all, "You can't be too careful!!!" 

Morekaos rolled 7, not snake eyes.

StarmanMBA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Nice dice loading.

Not only is SD one of the lowest populated states, it's also one of the lowest density states (people per square mile):

Yet... it has more deaths/milion than at least 6 more densely populated states:

Snake eyes.

Which of course means that 44 OTHER states have higher deaths per million population.  Considering the social and financial benefits, who can fault SD's success.  Certainly not me, but you pretend to have all the answers.  Listening to purveyors of fear and Trump-hating, we would never open back up. After all, "You can't be too careful!!!" 

Morekaos rolled 7, not snake eyes.

So you are saying South Dakota is having social and financial success? That's not what the news says:
https://www.keloland.com/news/capit...-much-covid-19-has-hurt-south-dakota-economy/

The latest numbers from a state government agency show how far South Dakota?s economy has tumbled since the coronavirus COVID-19 crisis reached here.

The new data came hours ahead of Governor Kristi Noem announcing her ?Return to Normal? plan for South Dakota.

According to the weekly report from state Bureau of Finance and Management:

? Job openings advertised online have dropped to about 11,000. They were at more than 19,000 six weeks ago.

? Estimated weekly travel spending plunged from a negative 1 percent for the week of March 7 to a negative 89 percent last week.

? Traffic fell 20 to 25 percent the second half of March, according to the South Dakota Department of Transportation?s permanent vehicle-counting devices. The roads became sparser yet in April, down 35 to 42 percent.

This goes back to what I was saying in the Coronavirus Recession thread, even if there is no "state ordered lockdown", people will do it themselves and the economy will still take a hit.

irvinehomeowner said:
This goes back to what I was saying in the Coronavirus Recession thread, even if there is no "state ordered lockdown", people will do it themselves and the economy will still take a hit.

I don't know man, business at my local Souplantation was still pretty normal up until the day of the lockdown.

Would the people have cloistered themselves if not for the state and media spreading panic with extreme worst case "projections"?

I had to look up cloister

IHO just likes to argue :-)

There is no way the economic damage would have been the same as it was/is.

Look at how many people are going out to beaches, stores, etc.

You guys probably saw that picture of the super crowded coffee shop in Colorado. Some places are being coded again for lack of adherence to social distancing.

So it is clear people don?t car and stayed home because it was forced on them. There are businesses that would have been impacted more than others, I agree with that, travel related business, movie theaters, etc.

Here is what I find annoying from Fauci and other medical experts. The notion that we opening too soon because we have not seen various metrics trend downward for two weeks and as. Result reopenings may trigger outbreaks/hotspots.

So if states did reopen after two weeks of a downward trend, does he think that downward trend would continue to trend down still? Or does expect the trend to reverse?

It is obvious that as soon as things reopen there will probably be more infections. The sooner the stay at home crowd accepts this the sooner we get back to normal.

Until a vaccine/treatment is available, it will alway be too soon for these guys

Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I don't know man, business at my local Souplantation was still pretty normal up until the day of the lockdown.

Would the people have cloistered themselves if not for the state and media spreading panic with extreme worst case "projections"?

They would have once they saw the rapidly rising number of cases and deaths... and then seeing the news reports that our hospitals can't handle number of infected. Do you guys forget NYC so easily?

qwerty said:
There is no way the economic damage would have been the same as it was/is.

Look at how many people are going out to beaches, stores, etc.

You guys probably saw that picture of the super crowded coffee shop in Colorado. Some places are being coded again for lack of adherence to social distancing.

And once cases/spread spikes in those areas... people will self shelter... just like everywhere else. And for those that don't, that's why mandates have to be made because some don't know any better.

So it is clear people don?t car and stayed home because it was forced on them.

It is not clear. I've already posted numerous news reports of the areas that had "zero" lockdown where most people still chose to stay home.

There are businesses that would have been impacted more than others, I agree with that, travel related business, movie theaters, etc.

This is true... but if most of those businesses go to 0% and many others go to 50%... or even 75%... I don't see where you get your 80% number. :)

Something that you are discounting is that the SAH orders helped businesses figure out what to do for safety protocols to protect their workers and patrons. It gave them the time necessary to create logistics, order plexiglass shields, etc to be able to reopen (or stay open) and reduce the chance of spread. Each measure is an additional layer to protect when others are not possible.

Polls say more people think the governments aren't doing enough to prevent the spread... you say they did too much... which one is it?

qwerty said:
Where are you getting your 0%, 50%, 75%?

Oh yeah, the same place I got my 80%

:-)

If certain businesses have to close... that's 0%... movie theaters, airlines, travel like you said.

Other businesses, I'm being generous and saying 75% (although I think it's more like less than 50% based on those other areas that had "no" lockdown).

Combine 75% and 0% together... and it doesn't make 80%.

At least I make an effort to show the math. :)

morekaos said:
That is the same place Governor Nuisance got his 220,000 dead number. >:D

A friend gave me and our group the projection of 100,000 to 240,000 deaths a few weeks back. I told him I would bet him ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY HE WANTED that it will NOT even hit the lowest number.    He passed.

StarmanMBA said:
morekaos said:
That is the same place Governor Nuisance got his 220,000 dead number. >:D

A friend gave me and our group the projection of 100,000 to 240,000 deaths a few weeks back. I told him I would bet him ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY HE WANTED that it will NOT even hit the lowest number.    He passed.

A friend of mine told me your full of sh##.

Wuhan to test all 11 million residents because new cases popped up:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52629213

The Chinese city of Wuhan is drawing up plans to test its entire population of 11 million people for Covid-19, state media report.

The plan appears to be in its early stages, with all districts in Wuhan told to submit details as to how testing could be done within 10 days.

It comes after Wuhan, where the virus first emerged, recorded six new cases over the weekend.

Prior to this, it had seen no new cases at all since 3 April.

Wuhan, which was in strict lockdown for 11 weeks, began re-opening on 8 April.

For a while it seemed like life was getting back to normal as schools re-opened, businesses slowly emerged and public transport resumed operations. But the emergence of a cluster of cases - all from the same residential compound - has now threatened the move back to normalcy.

I think it may be more than 6 cases if they want to test the entire population.

morekaos said:
Compressed-Village said:
morekaos said:
Compressed-Village said:
Where and which country reporting the least infection right now? Russia? India? What are the infecting rate there?

Here is a good real time website to follow the game.
[url]https://www.bing.com/covid[/url]

You guys are pretty smart, so figure this out ZERO (0) death in Russia and 109 active case. And covid ?suppose? to thrive in cold climate.

Someone else is noticing...

Why does Russia, population 144 million, have fewer coronavirus cases than Luxembourg?

[url]https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/why-does-russia-population-144-million-have-fewer-coronavirus-cases-than-luxembourg/ar-BB11vhDw?ocid=spartandhp
[/url]

Not any more. Russia is now 2nd (or 3rd according to WorldOMeter) reporting 10k new cases a day:
https://www.newsweek.com/russia-cor...us-outbreak-infections-pandemic-putin-1503369

Cases of the novel coronavirus in Russia have reached over 232,200, as the country begins easing lockdown measures from Tuesday. The country saw nearly 10,900 new infections on Tuesday, while the death toll stands at 2,116, according to the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University.

The country's total confirmed cases has overtaken that of Spain, just a day after it overtook the total infections in Italy and the U.K.

The latest spike marks Russia's 10th consecutive day of more than 10,000 daily new cases, including 11,656 new cases recorded on Monday, its highest increase since the outbreak began, according to figures published on the website of the Russian government.

Over half of the country's cases and deaths are in Moscow, the Russian capital. The city has 121,301 confirmed cases and 1,179 fatalities to date, according to figures published on the website of Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.

The country's death toll has remained relatively low, compared to its total number of cases. Government officials have claimed Russia's low death count is attributed to its robust virus testing. The country has reportedly conducted around 5.6 million tests, according to Rospotrebnadzor, the country's federal service for surveillance on consumer rights protection and human well being.

The low death count is puzzling... unless it's under reported.

And again, what makes Mexico CITY different?  Still only reporting 937 dead but almost 3 times the size of NY or LA.

morekaos said:
Here is some math that doesn?t seem to add up.. Mexico City, which has almost 22 million people. (Almost 2 1/2 times the size of New York). That city has not really done much yet only reports 328 dead. Granted Mexico?s corruption but go ahead and triple that number, it?s still maniscule. If they had NY style numbers that death rate would be 50,000 easy. Even there you can?t cover that up. Socially, they live on top of each other, huge mass transit users, horrible air, they smoke, obesity...this thing should be tearing through that population...yet...

https://www.bing.com/covid/local/mexicocity_mexico

morekaos said:
And again, what makes Mexico CITY different?  Still only reporting 937 dead but almost 3 times the size of NY or LA.

morekaos said:
Here is some math that doesn?t seem to add up.. Mexico City, which has almost 22 million people. (Almost 2 1/2 times the size of New York). That city has not really done much yet only reports 328 dead. Granted Mexico?s corruption but go ahead and triple that number, it?s still maniscule. If they had NY style numbers that death rate would be 50,000 easy. Even there you can?t cover that up. Socially, they live on top of each other, huge mass transit users, horrible air, they smoke, obesity...this thing should be tearing through that population...yet...

https://www.bing.com/covid/local/mexicocity_mexico

Maybe they are not reporting them?

Hidden Toll: Mexico Ignores Wave of Coronavirus Deaths in Capital
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/world/americas/mexico-coronavirus-count.html

The Mexican government is not reporting hundreds, possibly thousands, of deaths from the coronavirus in Mexico City, dismissing anxious officials who have tallied more than three times as many fatalities in the capital than the government publicly acknowledges, according to officials and confidential data.

[...]

Mexico City officials have tabulated more than 2,500 deaths from the virus and from serious respiratory illnesses that doctors suspect were related to Covid-19, according to the data, which was reviewed by The New York Times. Yet the federal government is reporting about 700 in the area, which includes Mexico City and the municipalities on its outskirts.

And it looks like they are taking steps to "lock down":

450 markets closed in Mexico City to reduce coronavirus contagion: Cramped and crowded tianguis are not conducive to social distancing
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/co...-mexico-city-to-reduce-coronavirus-contagion/

OK, like I said, I stipulate they are lying and multiply that official number by three...thats still California-like numbers.  For a city that size if they were throwing NY like numbers they should have 50,000 dead by now...You can't cover that up, so the truth has to be somewhere in between.

"...dismissing anxious officials who have tallied more than three times as many fatalities in the capital than the government publicly acknowledges, according to officials and confidential data."

irvinehomeowner said:
Record high 248 hospitalized today in OC.

Let?s hope that?s not a trend.

That?s currently hospitalized.    In the hospital today, but not hospitalized as in admitted today. 

98 of those 248 are in ICU.  That?s 40%.  Not sure if that means you have to be really sick to get admitted or people are waiting til they?re really sick to get tested.

Over the last week, we?ve loosened up. We?ve been out a lot more but now we?re attempting to retighten down. The increased crowds and increased numbers of no precautions people I?ve encountered in the stores and they?re demonstrated cavalier attitude to social distancing from others has me reconsidering the risk factor.

Back