"4 weeks and then all hell breaks loose"

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
[quote author="trrenter" date=1251846117][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251845906][quote author="RobertLarsen" date=1251842448][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251841410][quote author="Geotpf" date=1251839043]

The theory here is that a lot of pre-shadow inventory will get loan mods or approved short sales, and therefore never become bank owned. The loan mod programs are still warming up.

</blockquote>
What theory is this?

How will people who couldn't qualify for the loan in the first place, now qualify? Especially if they don't have a job? And they don't do loan mods for underwater properties.

"Loan mods preventing foreclosures" is worse than my FCB theory because FCBs don't use fundamental valuation, credit history or LTV ratios.

I've read more stories that say loan mods are not being done or even after being done get defaulted on again than loan mods being successful. Can you cite me some references where loan mods are actually working and that there will be many of them in the future that will prevent foreclosures?

Since we're both water cooler "experts"... I think this is a fair request.</blockquote>

Gotta go to work! But, here's the most recent article I've seen on it. I'll try to find better cites later if needed.

"Foreclosure sales have been abnormally low since we learned of the pending implementation of the administration?s Making Home Affordable program. From that point, we delayed the initiation of foreclosure proceedings and sales for customers that may eligible for a loan modification under MHA. As a result of this policy, our foreclosure sales in recent months have been as little as half the normal pace we experienced before."

"Until a foreclosure is completed, Bank of America continues to exhaust every possible option to qualify customers for modification or other solutions."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32630317</blockquote>
I read that post in the other thread too... but you left this part out:

<em>

While we have very strong loan modification programs now available, <strong>unfortunately, these foreclosure projections reflect the increasing number of customers who will not qualify for loan modification because they have suffered major life events servicers can?t solve...primarily unemployment and underemployment</strong>.

</em>

So even though BofA is trying to use loan mods as an excuse of why their foreclosure process is taking so long, they admit that their number of foreclosures will rise because people just don't qualify for the mods.

And I don't think a bank is going to come out and say "Yeah... we're delaying our foreclosure process because it's going to impact our capital ratios". Look at how those statements are phrased and you can sense there's no real sense of urgency from them to process foreclosures quickly. The comments in that article also come to the same conclusion that BofA isn't really being forthright in their statements. I know this is the Internet and we can't believe anything people say but here is one such comment:

<em>

I am Real Estate and Mortgage broker in Southern Ca; I believe that the statements that are being made by these institutions are inaccurate. I have knowledge of a BofA Countrywide asset manager who stated that in Southern Ca alone, they (the bank) was holding on to approximately 35,000 already foreclosed on properties that have not been released. Many of my counterparts that actively list REO properties have been extremely slow. Banks will attribute this to the 6 month 'moratorium', however many of the properties already foreclosed on prior to the moratorium are held in possession by these banks.

</em>

Now that number may be extreme but common sense just says there are way too many distressed properties as a result of the bubble out there... why are they not on the market? Does it make sense to you that inventory is so low when there are not that many qualified buyers out there? Where is everything going? Are all these people just underwater and not paying their mortgage and living rent free? It just does not compute.</blockquote>

Yes people are living rent free.

Two people that work in my company are doing it now.

One has not paid a mortgage to indymac in 18 mos and has no intention of modifying his loan and actually rents out a room to someone.

The other, I don't know who holds his mortgage, has not paid a mortgage payment in 13 months.

<strong>I read somewhere that only 9% of troubled loans are actually being modified.</strong></blockquote>

That's because the banks are just now getting the loan mod programs up and running, so they haven't modded many loans-yet. That's what the BoA quote in the CNBC article is saying.

Now, IMHO, the real question is, "After the loan mod programs are running full speed, what percentage of the pre-shadow inventory will get loan mods and won't redefault, and what percentage will eventually be foreclosed upon?"

I think the answer is unknown as of now. If very few loan mods are ultimately successful, there will (eventually) be a flood of REOs and prices will drop. If a lot of people get successful loan mods, there won't be and prices will remain stable (I doubt they will rise much).

[quote author="Geotpf" date=1251847133]Now, IMHO, the real question is, "After the loan mod programs are running full speed, what percentage of the pre-shadow inventory will get loan mods and won't redefault, and what percentage will eventually be foreclosed upon?"

I think the answer is unknown as of now. </blockquote>

Actually, that answer is known as of now. It's about 50% after one year.

<a href="http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/search/label/default">http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/search/label/default</a>

<blockquote>This graph shows that about 30% of modified loans re-default in the first quarter after modification and about half within the first year. This suggests modifications have not been very effective. </blockquote>

<a href="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pMscxxELHEg/Skp7F-ENtLI/AAAAAAAAFtM/c7iQl8lH33Y/s1600-h/recidivism.jpg">Here </a>is the graph (I can't post CR graphs, sorry, no skilz).

Given current economic conditions, I submit we are moving from "not been very effective" to "total waste of time", but that's strictly speculation on my part. What the hell do I know? It's not like I've done that sort of work before or something.

[quote author="Geotpf" date=1251847133]That's because the banks are just now getting the loan mod programs up and running, so they haven't modded many loans-yet. That's what the BoA quote in the CNBC article is saying.

</blockquote>
So what have the banks been doing all this time with my tax dollars? C'mon... you don't actually believe they just got those mod programs up and running now do you?

Those loan mod programs have been around much longer. I was offered one back in July 08 when I was trying to decide between refinancing or selling my house. The big problem with it was the Fed took a portion of the profits if I ever resold for a gain.

<blockquote>

Now, IMHO, the real question is, "After the loan mod programs are running full speed, what percentage of the pre-shadow inventory will get loan mods and won't redefault, and what percentage will eventually be foreclosed upon?"

I think the answer is unknown as of now. If very few loan mods are ultimately successful, there will (eventually) be a flood of REOs and prices will drop. If a lot of people get successful loan mods, there won't be and prices will remain stable (I doubt they will rise much).</blockquote>
Geo... seriously... with all due respect... there is no way that a large amount of people will get loan mods. There is already evidence that the loan mods are failing because the people who did get them... went deliquent again, maybe you missed this:

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/128/P3475/#117158">http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/128/P3475/#117158</a>

How can the housing market drop 40-50% and expect that homeowners can qualify for a loan mod that requires safe LTV ratios. And if you look through the links in that post, you will see that loan mods have been "up and running"... they just aren't being very effective.

You have two problems here:

1. That people can actually qualify for a loan mod.

2. That people can actually not go into default again even with the loan mod.

Housing values are a deterrent to number 1, unemployment is a deterrent to numbers 1 and 2.

Honestly... do you really think loan mods are going to save the world?

EDIT: No_vas pulled a ninja on me!

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1251796578][quote author="NewportSkipper" date=1251794584] The property at 4 Berkshire closed escrow last year, on 11/10/2008</blockquote>
Where are you coming up with this?

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/4-Berkshire-92656/home/4872343">http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/4-Berkshire-92656/home/4872343</a>

Property History

Date Event Price Appreciation Source

Aug 18, 2008 Sold $576,000 -8.1%/yr Public Records

Jul 28, 2005 Sold $745,000 21.2%/yr Public Records

Sep 27, 2002 Sold $432,000 14.5%/yr Public Records

Dec 30, 1997 Sold $227,500 -- Public Records

<a href="http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4-Berkshire-Aliso-Viejo-CA-92656/25550528_zpid/">http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4-Berkshire-Aliso-Viejo-CA-92656/25550528_zpid/</a>

Last sale and tax info

Sold 08/18/2008: $576,000

2008 Property Tax: $8,339

I swear you are making this up!</blockquote>
So Redfin's data can sometimes be hopelessly outdated ? What do the county records show ?

Test for Modifications. Answer no to one and you do not qualify.

<blockquote>1. Is your home your primary residence?

2. Is the amount you owe on your first mortgage equal to or less than $729,750?

3. Are you having trouble paying your mortgage?

4. Did you get your current mortgage before January 1, 2009?

5. Is your payment on your first mortgage (including principal, interest, taxes, insurance and homeowner's association dues, if applicable) more than 31% of your current gross income?</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/modification_eligibility.html">Qualifying Test</a>

And you can't owe more then 105% of your homes value.

How many people in CA will qualify for the modification?

[quote author="CapitalismWorks" date=1251834541]RL, when someone who knows better says something isn't truw I find it obnoxious. I figured someone in RE would know. Since you appear to have been unaware of the practice of cash for keys, well I am surprised. More importantly, when you say something I posted "isn't true" you had better damn well be able to disprove the statement.

As I pointed out there are 2.9 MILLION hits on Google. Just read a few.

Preventing the destruction of the property may not be the sole reason to offer cash for keys, but it is certainly an important reason.

BTW, coming here to promote your blog is seeking to drum up business. Using your real name, is seeking to drum up business. Don't try to play coy with your motives for being here. Your objective is to make money, and you are holding yourself out as a professional on this blog. If I question your knowledge and mention your occupation it is for these reasons.

If you want to avoid these types of comments, I suggest changing your screen name to something unknown. You could still learn about blogging and R/E without being held to the higher standard that should apply to R/E pros. Otherwise your background is fair game.</blockquote>

Sorry, but your insistance is pointless. Just look at the name of the program, Cash for KEYS. Meaning, we will give you cash, you give us keys... To say that the point of the program is to pay the occupants to keep it clean is ignorant.

And I'll correct you again on your narrowed minded opinions. I would much rather have my blog generate revenue through advertising, not referrals. I tried to change my screenname the day after I signed up, you can't, so I got over it.

"Test for Modifications. Answer no to one and you do not qualify.

1. Is your home your primary residence?

5. Is your payment on your first mortgage (including principal, interest, taxes, insurance and homeowner?s association dues, if applicable) more than 31% of your current gross income?

Qualifying Test

And you can?t owe more then 105% of your homes value.

How many people in CA will qualify for the modification?"

Your entire post is incorrect. The answer to #5 has to be "yes", not "no". If you answer "no", then you don't need a loan mod. The 105% LTV limit is for a plain refinance, not a loan mod. Loan mods do not care about LTV, it can be 200% LTV and it wouldn't matter. Even #2 doesn't eliminate a borrower, because there are mod plans beyond the government's. You are way off base in your assumptions.

[quote author="RobertLarsen" date=1251851616]

And I'll correct you again on your narrowed minded opinions. I would much rather have my blog generate revenue through advertising, not referrals. I tried to change my screenname the day after I signed up, you can't, so I got over it.</blockquote>

send a PM to Zovall and he will probably do it for you.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251848744][quote author="Geotpf" date=1251847133]That's because the banks are just now getting the loan mod programs up and running, so they haven't modded many loans-yet. That's what the BoA quote in the CNBC article is saying.

</blockquote>
So what have the banks been doing all this time with my tax dollars? C'mon... you don't actually believe they just got those mod programs up and running now do you?

Those loan mod programs have been around much longer. I was offered one back in July 08 when I was trying to decide between refinancing or selling my house. The big problem with it was the Fed took a portion of the profits if I ever resold for a gain.

<blockquote>

I think the answer is unknown as of now. If very few loan mods are ultimately successful, there will (eventually) be a flood of REOs and prices will drop. If a lot of people get successful loan mods, there won't be and prices will remain stable (I doubt they will rise much).</blockquote>
Geo... seriously... with all due respect... there is no way that a large amount of people will get loan mods. There is already evidence that the loan mods are failing because the people who did get them... went deliquent again, maybe you missed this:

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/128/P3475/#117158">http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/128/P3475/#117158</a>

How can the housing market drop 40-50% and expect that homeowners can qualify for a loan mod that requires safe LTV ratios. And if you look through the links in that post, you will see that loan mods have been "up and running"... they just aren't being very effective.

Housing values are a deterrent to number 1, unemployment is a deterrent to numbers 1 and 2.

EDIT: No_vas pulled a ninja on me!</blockquote>

We have been giving Geotpf evidence of the extreme liklihood that loan mods will increase only marginally and will have little to no effect on the overall foreclosure market. He has chosen to ignore all the eveidence presented in previous threads, so my guess is that no matter how much evidence is presented, he will hang on to his fantasies.

[quote author="NewportSkipper" date=1251851937]"Test for Modifications. Answer no to one and you do not qualify.

1. Is your home your primary residence?

5. Is your payment on your first mortgage (including principal, interest, taxes, insurance and homeowner?s association dues, if applicable) more than 31% of your current gross income?

Qualifying Test

And you can?t owe more then 105% of your homes value.

How many people in CA will qualify for the modification?"

Your entire post is incorrect. The answer to #5 has to be "yes", not "no". If you answer "no", then you don't need a loan mod. The 105% LTV limit is for a plain refinance, not a loan mod. Loan mods do not care about LTV, it can be 200% LTV and it wouldn't matter. Even #2 doesn't eliminate a borrower, because there are mod plans beyond the government's. You are way off base in your assumptions.</blockquote>

Go to the link and put in no to any of these questions and you will not qualify for the Making Homes Affordable Loan Mod.

Then come back to me and tell me which one you marked no what it said at the top.

Then tell me my entire post is wrong.

The link was to Making Home affordable site so you should assume that is what I was talking about unless you chose not to click on the link.

[quote author="awgee" date=1251852094][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251848744][quote author="Geotpf" date=1251847133]That's because the banks are just now getting the loan mod programs up and running, so they haven't modded many loans-yet. That's what the BoA quote in the CNBC article is saying.

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

EDIT: No_vas pulled a ninja on me!</blockquote>

We have been giving Geotpf evidence of the extreme liklihood that loan mods will increase only marginally and will have little to no effect on the overall foreclosure market. He has chosen to ignore all the eveidence presented in previous threads, so my guess is that no matter how much evidence is presented, he will hang on to his fantasies.</blockquote>

I agree with everyone on this point. Mods will have a modest impact on the market, but it is a strong reason for the delays. The government thinks mods are the answer, I do not. They will help, but only will not be the answer. No matter what the government tries to push, the only true solution is good ol' supply and demand.

<a href="http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-so-much-for-foreclosure-prevention-fannie-homesaver-re-default-rate-hits-70-2009-5">So Much For Foreclosure Prevention: Fannie "HomeSaver" Re-Default Rate Hits 70%</a>

<a href="http://www.usnews.com/blogs/the-home-front/2009/04/03/high-redefault-rates-obamas-loan-modification-nightmare.html">High Redefault Rates: Obama's Loan Modification Nightmare</a>

Please read these Skipper.

The answers need to be "yes" for the MHA mod program. Let's see where the problems lie:

1. Is your home your primary residence? Yes No

Owner occupied homes qualify.

2. Is the amount you owe on your first mortgage equal to or less than $729,750? Yes No

Loans under $729,750 qualify. (Lenders have jumbo programs too, just not this one.)

People struggling qualify.

4. Did you get your current mortgage before January 1, 2009? Yes No

Loans made before this year qualify.

5. Is your payment on your first mortgage (including principal, interest, taxes, insurance and homeowner's association dues, if applicable) more than 31% of your current gross income?

People whose PITI is more than 31% qualify.

All is I see qualify, qualify, qualify. So, rich people with rental properties don't qualify. Where's the problem, again?

The question was how many people in CA will qualify for this program. Then you told me I was wrong with what I posted.

I posted two people I personally know that are 13 and 18 months behind with no action taken. They will not qualify for this.

"Re-default rates were consistently lower for modifications that resulted in lower monthly payments. When modifications decreased monthly payments by more than 10 percent, only about 23 percent of the loans became seriously delinquent six months later."

From your link.

"I posted two people I personally know that are 13 and 18 months behind with no action taken. They will not qualify for this.'

Everyone on these boards has an anecdote like this one, but we see hard records that show foreclosures taking place for the most part on schedule.

Why don't they qualify?

Something got lost in translation. It's very clear to me that the 5 question test will qualify large numbers of people.

[quote author="NewportSkipper" date=1251851937]The 105% LTV limit is for a plain refinance, not a loan mod. Loan mods do not care about LTV, it can be 200% LTV and it wouldn't matter.

</blockquote>
Can you please cite a reference for this? All the documentation on loan mods that I've read state that LTV is important in determining qualifications.

<blockquote>

Even #2 doesn't eliminate a borrower, because there are mod plans beyond the government's.

</blockquote>
But I believe it's the government plans that geo is referring to as those are the ones that are receiving funding from our pockets.

<blockquote>

You are way off base in your assumptions.</blockquote>
This is the type of language that is divisive. You may not mean it to be, but since there is no way to convey tone effectively on the Internet, you may want to choose more neutral statements such as:

"I do not agree with your assessments."

Back