Your take on Great Park and high Mello-Roos

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program

coder77

Hello,

I am looking for a 4 bedroom 3000+sf SFR home for a while now. I was lately focused on Portola Springs but I might pivot into Great Park. The prices people asking for new construction resale is insane. I hate that people buy these homes (specifically in Cielo) and sell without even living in them which creates an artificial price hike but that's for another topic.

I like the location of Great Park better but there is about +$7000 difference in Mello-Roos for a similar home. However, the homes here are much cheaper than what I'd pay for a similar home in Portola Springs. Please bear in mind, I am looking at newer homes built after 2015. So even if I pay the extra tax for about 30 years, the homes in Great Park are still cheaper than Portola Springs.

That said, I think it might be harder to sell Great Park homes in the future or they might not appreciate as much as other areas.

What is your take? I'd appreciate your input.

Some Great Park homes I am looking at:

https://redf.in/Z4IvA1 Love this one but it backs up to Irvine Blvd. Not sure if buying a home which is next to a busy street is a good idea.
https://redf.in/9lB2WB This one looks good too. But it does not have as big of a backyard. However the location seems pretty good.

Thanks!

Hello,

I am looking for a 4 bedroom 3000+sf SFR home for a while now. I was lately focused on Portola Springs but I might pivot into Great Park. The prices people asking for new construction resale is insane. I hate that people buy these homes (specifically in Cielo) and sell without even living in them which creates an artificial price hike but that's for another topic.

I like the location of Great Park better but there is about +$7000 difference in Mello-Roos for a similar home. However, the homes here are much cheaper than what I'd pay for a similar home in Portola Springs. Please bear in mind, I am looking at newer homes built after 2015. So even if I pay the extra tax for about 30 years, the homes in Great Park are still cheaper than Portola Springs.

That said, I think it might be harder to sell Great Park homes in the future or they might not appreciate as much as other areas.

What is your take? I'd appreciate your input.

Some Great Park homes I am looking at:

https://redf.in/Z4IvA1 Love this one but it backs up to Irvine Blvd. Not sure if buying a home which is next to a busy street is a good idea.
https://redf.in/9lB2WB This one looks good too. But it does not have as big of a backyard. However the location seems pretty good.

Thanks!
I personally wouldn't recommend Great Park due to the outrageous Mello-Roos and toxic soil issue concerns as shown in the documentary below that a lot of Great Park residents and buyers are unaware of!

I personally wouldn't recommend Great Park due to the outrageous Mello Roos and toxic soil issues as shown in the documentary below that a lot of Great Park residents and buyers are unaware of!

I heard about this but is this really a thing? The Great Park has been sanctioned by EPA for residential use.

I heard about this but is this really a thing? The Great Park has been sanctioned by EPA for residential use.
I know that a lot of Great Park residents and buyers downplay the toxic soil issue as they are attracted to the location and amenities in Great Park but the new home builders in Great Park are still required to disclose it in their disclosures to the buyers which the resale sellers may not be disclosing to their buyers.

I know that a lot of Great Park residents and buyers downplay the toxic soil issue as they are attracted to the location and amenities in Great Park but the new home builders in Great Park are still required to disclose it in their disclosures to the buyers which the resale sellers may not be disclosing to their buyers.
Yeah but I don't think you've answered my question. Do people have verifiable data that there is still something there hazardous to human health? Disclosure is probably about the fact that there used to be a military base and soil has been contaminated with toxic materials. From what I understand, the site has been sanctioned by EPA after the clean up. Of course, that does not mean that it's 100% safe since EPA can make mistakes or there can be corrupt people in some high seats.

Yeah but I don't think you've answered my question. Do people have verifiable data that there is still something there hazardous to human health? Disclosure is probably about the fact that there used to be a military base and soil has been contaminated with toxic materials. From what I understand, the site has been sanctioned by EPA after the clean up. Of course, that does not mean that it's 100% safe since EPA can make mistakes or there can be corrupt people in some high seats.
See articles on the testing below:

See articles on the testing below:

I am not dismissing what you're saying but I also see this:

I am not dismissing what you're saying but I also see this:

Their are obviously a mixed bag of articles and information regarding the toxic soil issues in Great Park and many have accused the developer and authorities of cover ups and still have concerns about it but just wanted to let you know of this issue so that you can make an informed decision since you are looking at resales within Great Park and the resale sellers may not disclose it to you. This was the main reason we moved out of Great Park in addition to the outrageous Mello-Roos.

Last edited:
Their are obviously a mixed bag of articles and information regarding the toxic soil issues in Great Park and many have accused the developer and authorities of cover ups and still have concerns about it but just wanted to let you know of this issue so that you can make an informed decision since you are looking at resales within Great Park and the resale sellers may not disclose it to you. This was the main reason why we moved out of Great Park in addition to the outrageous Mello-Roos.
We are still thinking about it. Thanks for bringing up the matter. Where did you move to if you don't mind me asking?

If it’s even a question then is it worth it?
You even doubt the veracity of EPA in the last statement.
I’d recommend talking to Vice Mayor Larry Agran about the history of the cleanup, as he is an environmental attorney and was involved with that whole process. There was definitely botched handling of the cleanup in the early stages.

Last edited:
If it’s even a question then is it worth it?
You even doubt the veracity of EPA in the last statement.
I’d recommend talking to Vice Mayor Larry Agran about the history of the cleanup, as he is an environmental attorney and was involved with that whole process. There was definitely botched handling of the cleanup in the early stages.
If Great Park is at risk, isn't Portola Springs at risk too? At least their assigned high school is Portola High.

If Great Park is at risk, isn't Portola Springs at risk too? At least their assigned high school is Portola High.
At least you’re not living over land with history of toxic plume in Portola and can find a workaround to send kids to a different school if one was not comfortable based on the history.

Portola neighborhoods are north of these prior cleanup sites.

IMG_9785.jpeg
And what was in the contaminated soil? Can venture further down the rabbit hole if you so wish:

I have ordered many Phase I as well as Phase II environmental reports and in the process consulted with several environmental consultants over contaminated soil and related cleanup. Just because the EPA signed off does not mean there is no more contamination. That is why Great Park and Tustin Legacy original homebuyers were given disclosures about not planting vegetables and fruit trees directly in the ground. Personally I would not buy in Great Park for that reason alone. Underground water plume goes southwest away from Portola Springs so PS should not be affected by Great Park contamination. Pavilion Park north of Irvine Blvd. was never part of the original base and supposedly does not have contaminated soil. I would verify if that area interests you.

A couple of things to consider. Living there and sending kids to school there is a bit different. For families with kids in K-8 school age, this should not a present a problem...yet. By the time their kids go to Portola High, the toxic soil may no longer be a problem.

For us, buying in PS is not a problem since our kid is already off to college. 😂 He finished high school when we moved to our Bluffs home.

For GP you will not need to worry about wildfires. By the time it hits GP, PS will be completely burned. So your insurance premiums shouldn’t be high compared to PS.

If GP is somewhere you may want to look, try to buy in Pavilion Park - larger lots, lowest MR of all of GP, is north of Irvine with no contaminated soil, have the PS buffer for fire.

GP likely appreciates at the same rate, but I think price/sf is less due to MR. We owned in Beacon Park and sold at the wrong time, if we kept it at the time I'd probably be 500-800k richer.

Pavilion Park is definitely nice. The SFRs have a little more charm, character, and rustic vibe (I especially like the brick facades on some) and there seems to be more developed trees in front of homes than other areas of GP.

Last edited:
7000 in 30 years are 210k… since most people move within 7 years it is more or less a cost diff at 50k. The soil - I don’t know, why should I be concerned if I don’t eat or drink directly from underground? I also heard the smell from OC landfill can be felt for some PS homes, maybe it is the same kind urban myth?

Back