Why hasn’t this sold

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Curious if the FCBs are just being more selective in current market by focusing only on latest shiny object - current and future OH new builds and releases - over other preexisting homes that are even just a few years old.

The current market activity seems reminiscent of fall 2022 market when I was looking to buy. Threw out a lot of low ball offers in multiple cities around OC and nothing would stick then even with no other competing offers during this time interest rates already increased. Many sellers were willing to wait 1-2 months to accept a different offer at list or simply pulled off market instead of settling for offers $25-30K below ask. Not too many motivated sellers that I encountered back then.
Could it be because they were sitting on record low interest rates so carrying costs were low?

Curious if the FCBs are just being more selective in current market by focusing only on latest shiny object - current and future OH new builds and releases - over other preexisting homes that are even just a few years old.

The current market activity seems reminiscent of fall 2022 market when I was looking to buy. Threw out a lot of low ball offers in multiple cities around OC and nothing would stick then even with no other competing offers during this time interest rates already increased. Many sellers were willing to wait 1-2 months to accept a different offer at list or simply pulled off market instead of settling for offers $25-30K below ask. Not too many motivated sellers that I encountered back then.
I tired really hard to offer to 114 mongoose during 2022 and 2023, the asking went from 1.4 to 1.6 before it was finally sold. Technically it was on the market for 1+ years. And yes the seller won over all my low ball offers (3 at least).

I heard that putting in low ball offers are frowned upon for realtors. Is that true? Seems like we have a couple of folks here that have realtors that are willing to do it. I thought normally it's better to simply wait for price drops rather then put low ball offers.

People always forget how low rates affect the environment. During the "big" crash in the late 2000s, when interest rates went down instead of up, this eased the pressure on O-ARM resets and allowed owners to kick the can longer keeping inventory off market (not to mention banks delaying foreclosures and corps buying up distressed inventory) which softened the drop.

And now, because of the record low era of rates since then, it suppresses inventory because people can wait which also prevents prices from going as low as people want.

People who consistently predict drops ignore these important factors among other variables.

People always forget how low rates affect the environment. During the "big" crash in the late 2000s, when interest rates went down instead of up, this eased the pressure on O-ARM resets and allowed owners to kick the can longer keeping inventory off market (not to mention banks delaying foreclosures and corps buying up distressed inventory) which softened the drop.

And now, because of the record low era of rates since then, it suppresses inventory because people can wait which also prevents prices from going as low as people want.

People who consistently predict drops ignore these important factors among other variables.
So are you suggesting prices are gonna be flat in the upcoming 2025?

127 mongoose any thoughts? Things seem to have stalled at great park- what do u guys think of price it was reduced
$9000.00 a month house payment in an
Area moving quick to Asian where they
Have up to 3 families in one unit they
Are better to buy a house that has a
Huge garage to let other family members
Move in! In my area they have 3 families
Moved into one bedroom house the garage
Has the garage door but is now living space!

Does this one look better?

I'm still trying to understand the various villages. But to me an old sfr is much more desirable than a new condo/townhome at the same price.
Yes plenty of parking for 3 Asian families and
A big garage for them to turn into living area!
Much better then 127 Mongoose probably no
Parking and the association probably would
Not let them turn garage into living space
Like my association! 3 families in one bedroom! BHE management

So are you suggesting prices are gonna be flat in the upcoming 2025?
No idea... I can only guess like everyone else.

Depends where rates go... if they drop, makes it affordable for people to move up but then that also makes prices go up.

Outside of a black swan event... I don't see any large drop (and let's be real here...a 5% drop is not really a large drop). Even at 10% off, considering the gains in the last few years... where does that put us? 2020 pricing?

Election results... possible wars... earthquake... what is going to cause prices to crash?

No idea... I can only guess like everyone else.

Depends where rates go... if they drop, makes it affordable for people to move up but then that also makes prices go up.

Outside of a black swan event... I don't see any large drop (and let's be real here...a 5% drop is not really a large drop). Even at 10% off, considering the gains in the last few years... where does that put us? 2020 pricing?

Election results... possible wars... earthquake... what is going to cause prices to crash?
I find it very difficult to believe that a presidential election would cause a slowdown.

The others, even Martin, aren't as familiar with PS as I am, as I've been following it for months before listing.

I can definitely say that these homes weren't getting offer not because they're overpriced. It's because buyers aren't looking anymore at this point. There is no traffic at all.

My neighbor's Bluffs 1 got into escrow a week after listing in July at $2.39M. This Bluffs 1 isn't getting any offers, at lower listed price. Another Bluffs 1 listed at $2.29M, but didn't get any offer either. It ended up being taken off the market a couple of weeks later. A Bluffs 2 listed right after this Bluffs 1 got into escrow at $2.39M, but never got any offer either. Now it's off the market too. Another Bluffs 1 closed escrow right after at $2.4M, then turned around to list at $2.29 (must be money laundering).

Not familiar with Portola Springs? I've been helping clients buy and sell homes in Portola Springs for 15 years. I know all of the tracts and have helped new home buyers purchase in just about every tract built in 2010 and later, including 2 buyers at The Bluffs.

In terms of buyer traffic, homes that look good and are priced right are still getting really good traffic and multiple offers so buyers are still out there but the sense of urgency is gone because they see the market turning via constant price reductions and increasing inventory levels.

Honestly, your neighbor got lucky. I told them that the market was slowing down and that we may have to price accordingly as well as doing some upgrading as the entire home had very few upgrades, including standard flooring throughout. I'm a straight shooter when it comes to discussions with sellers and I'm sure I've lost some listings because I don't blow smoke up their booty to get their listing.

I heard that putting in low ball offers are frowned upon for realtors. Is that true? Seems like we have a couple of folks here that have realtors that are willing to do it. I thought normally it's better to simply wait for price drops rather then put low ball offers.

I'm willing to submit semi low ball offers for my buyers but I do set proper expectation of what may happen (i.e. no response or the offer is rejected without a counter offer). That being said, I'm not out to make friends with the listing agents as my primary goal is to help my buyers when I'm helping them look to buy a home.

I find it very difficult to believe that a presidential election would cause a slowdown.

There was a bit of an air pocket back the late summer/early fall 2016 where prices were soft, not sure if it was the elections or not but things did pick up in early 2017.

Not familiar with Portola Springs? I've been helping clients buy and sell homes in Portola Springs for 15 years. I know all of the tracts and have helped new home buyers purchase in just about every tract built in 2010 and later, including 2 buyers at The Bluffs.

In terms of buyer traffic, homes that look good and are priced right are still getting really good traffic and multiple offers so buyers are still out there but the sense of urgency is gone because they see the market turning via constant price reductions and increasing inventory levels.

Honestly, your neighbor got lucky. I told them that the market was slowing down and that we may have to price accordingly as well as doing some upgrading as the entire home had very few upgrades, including standard flooring throughout. I'm a straight shooter when it comes to discussions with sellers and I'm sure I've lost some listings because I don't blow smoke up their booty to get their listing.
Yeah, my neighbor got really lucky since the buyer actually rented it out. So I'm not really sure why they didn't buy the 113 Tall Reed home for cheaper. That home got a decent lot size as well and since they're renting it out, the flooring upgrade that my neighbor put in isn't necessary.

Another why hasn't this sold question:

Is it because of:
- Location i.e. Great Park
- High Mello-Roos
- Small backyard

I know market is slow and all but based on the description it's not crazy to think someone can grab this for probably $2.5 million since it's mentioned that the sellers are motivated.

What do you guys think?

Another why hasn't this sold question:

Is it because of:
- Location i.e. Great Park
- High Mello-Roos
- Small backyard

I know market is slow and all but based on the description it's not crazy to think someone can grab this for probably $2.5 million since it's mentioned that the sellers are motivated.

What do you guys think?
I think 2.5 sounds realistic. They're definitely going to milk the former model home title for all it's worth for as long as they can though.

Wow, haven't seen a Mike Dunn listing in awhile. He is the king of WTF pricing and this listing is no different. The unusually small backyard probably puts this property at the bottom 5% of lot sizes for GP (known for above average Irvine lot sizes). 2.5M sounds about right.

Look at that price yo-yo.

View attachment 10020
After seeing what 62 Logan (link below) sold for even $2.5 million seems a lot.

I still see people listing their 2010+ build SFR homes listed at $925+/sf. I guess they don't want to sell.

I would like to see these listings close at these prices:

I guess if they can wait until spring, maybe there is a chance they get those prices...

Last edited:
Back