Realtor #1 Story and Question

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
[quote author="orgopeach" date=1251450401]We closed about 2-3 weeks ago. USCTrojan told me one has to actual expend efforts to search for me in particular.

I have not been in contact with that agent for over 3 months. I made no mention of the agent's name or company to any latter realtors, so he must have searched for me.

I think my strategy will be not to send an email. If I find a dead horse head in my bed however, I am calling the Irvine SWAT team.</blockquote>

You should probably buya gun to be safe.

Hi Orgo,

Congratulation on the new house! You would be amazed to know that we went through similar ordeal too. I shared our ex-realtor story <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5152/">here</a>, but the story didn't quite end there and I'll try to update my post with what happened next as soon as I get the chance.

Here is my 2 cents on this email: You saw a number of properties with this guy and he just assumed that your business was and would be his forever. Now he suddenly wakes up from the sweet dream learning that you have gone ahead with another agent and bought your house. Although in reality, he had nothing to do with your purchase and you had every right to drop him and work with another agent who could cater to your needs, in his mind it was his right. In his mind you have done him injustice; you have hurt him; you have stolen bread from his family's table and more BS. Obviously he is mourning the lost commission and he thinks you owe him. So he sends you the stupid email to let you know that you have stolen his due right from him and he knows it, but of course money is not an issue for him (yeah, of course!) and he is such a kind and forgiving soul that he has mercy on you and he forgives you from your transgression.

What are his intentions? At minimum, he wants to make you feel ashamed and embarrassed while turning himself into a selfless innocent saint who has been wrongfully tortured and exploited, and at most he hopes that you show pity on him and pay him something for his time.

Don't underestimate the emotional effects of a lost real estate commission. 2-3% of purchase price is lots of money. Physicians spend decades at school and they have to deal with huge student loans, several years delay of family life, enormous liability, endless night/weekend calls, ever increasing overhead and so on and the average monthly income of a physician is less than the commission of a single, average SFR sold in Irvine, and how hard is it to become a realtor, compared with a physician?! The simple answer is, there is no comparison. The RE commissions are high, because for every deal that goes through, there are hundred potential deals and that never happen. So, the commission should account for that. But this was not the case during the bubble, as people were desperately looking for properties to buy and the proportion of showings ending in escrow was much higher. Many realtors haven't got the memo of the crash yet and they still expect to get their commission out of every single client. Dream on!

If I were you, I would have responded to his email, thanking him for his time and efforts and for his kind words and regretting that I didn't have the privilege of working with him in buying our dream house. I would have briefly pointed out a few issues I had with him which made me feel that he was not the right agent for me. I would also have kindly reminded him of how RE transactions work and why the nominal commission on each transaction is so high, to account for all efforts and energy spent in many more showings that do not yield any results. If he wants to call it ?being used?, that?s fair game as many buyers were also ?used? by him in being coerced in to overpaying for properties so that he could earn his 3% commission.

Just don't let this moron spoil your mood and enjoy your new house!

Here is the new rule for all on IHB... buy your house under a trust you have set up beforehand. You should have a trust set up anyway, but that is another rant. Just make sure it is not the "Joe Smith Trust", and instead the "Spider Monkeys Rule Trust". You all are worried about the a$$ hat agents who might stalk you, I need to hide from the dumb a$$ bulls who said I was wrong three years ago and even today. Good luck in finding me...

[quote author="orgopeach" date=1251440221]I had a post earlier about buying a home in Columbus Grove. I mentioned I went through a few realtors before buying a home with the last one.

Realtor#1 was a nice gentleman. He wasn't exactly our style. After a few months with him and after he lost our personal and sensitive financial information (later recovered), we decided to postpone house hunting and eventually moved onto other realtors.

I recently received an email from him:

"While I feel used on spending so much time educating you on the rates, showing you homes, the short sale process, closing etc, I still would like to wish you the best in your future together and in your new home.

Even though realtor use occurs and the buyer agency agreement/contract helps the agents prevent this use of resource, I still hold to my value that I wont have my buyers sign an agency agreement.

Again, I wish you luck in your careers and your life together. "

At the bottom of the email, he attached a link to the home we just bought. Almost like I know what you guys are up to type of thing.

1. How can one search a recently purchase home solely by name? How do you think he found it?

2. How would you react to this email?

Thanks all!

PM me if you want the Realtor information.</blockquote>

This guy is a hack and has no business being a realtor. This guy is a tool and to blame you for using him is jack ass and should go back to pouring coffee for a living as he does not know what he is doing...

[quote author="Mazy" date=1251468988]Hi Orgo,

Congratulation on the new house! You would be amazed to know that we went through similar ordeal too. I shared our ex-realtor story <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5152/">here</a>, but the story didn't quite end there and I'll try to update my post with what happened next as soon as I get the chance.

Here is my 2 cents on this email: You saw a number of properties with this guy and he just assumed that your business was and would be his forever. Now he suddenly wakes up from the sweet dream learning that you have gone ahead with another agent and bought your house. Although in reality, he had nothing to do with your purchase and you had every right to drop him and work with another agent who could cater to your needs, in his mind it was his right. In his mind you have done him injustice; you have hurt him; you have stolen bread from his family's table and more BS. Obviously he is mourning the lost commission and he thinks you owe him. So he sends you the stupid email to let you know that you have stolen his due right from him and he knows it, but of course money is not an issue for him (yeah, of course!) and he is such a kind and forgiving soul that he has mercy on you and he forgives you from your transgression.

What are his intentions? At minimum, he wants to make you feel ashamed and embarrassed while turning himself into a selfless innocent saint who has been wrongfully tortured and exploited, and at most he hopes that you show pity on him and pay him something for his time.

Don't underestimate the emotional effects of a lost real estate commission. 2-3% of purchase price is lots of money. Physicians spend decades at school and they have to deal with huge student loans, several years delay of family life, enormous liability, endless night/weekend calls, ever increasing overhead and so on and the average monthly income of a physician is less than the commission of a single, average SFR sold in Irvine, and how hard is it to become a realtor, compared with a physician?! The simple answer is, there is no comparison. The RE commissions are high, because for every deal that goes through, there are hundred potential deals and that never happen. So, the commission should account for that. But this was not the case during the bubble, as people were desperately looking for properties to buy and the proportion of showings ending in escrow was much higher. Many realtors haven't got the memo of the crash yet and they still expect to get their commission out of every single client. Dream on!

If I were you, I would have responded to his email, thanking him for his time and efforts and for his kind words and regretting that I didn't have the privilege of working with him in buying our dream house. I would have briefly pointed out a few issues I had with him which made me feel that he was not the right agent for me. I would also have kindly reminded him of how RE transactions work and why the nominal commission on each transaction is so high, to account for all efforts and energy spent in many more showings that do not yield any results. If he wants to call it ?being used?, that?s fair game as many buyers were also ?used? by him in being coerced in to overpaying for properties so that he could earn his 3% commission.

Just don't let this moron spoil your mood and enjoy your new house!</blockquote>

He is a tool who can't make it in the real world and the crime he commits is to make people feel guilty cause they used a different agent. Old news happens always and he is to greedy to let it go and makes customers feel guilty to get back at them. A real toad who is looking at the short term and is missing a lot of referral sales because of his immature business practices. A real agent does this all the time and wins some and loses some but the good ones always get their fair share without making the costumer feeling like dirt because the agent is to weak and greedy and not a pro.

[quote author="OCCOBRA" date=1251482822][quote author="Mazy" date=1251468988]Hi Orgo,

Just don't let this moron spoil your mood and enjoy your new house!</blockquote>

Second rant as he is a tool who can't make it in the real world and the crime he commits is to make people feel guilty cause they used a different agent. Old news happens always and he is to greedy to let it go and makes customers feel guilty to get back at them. A real toad who is looking at the short term and is missing a lot of referral sales because of his immature business practices. A real agent does this all the time and wins some and loses some but the good ones always get their fair share without making the costumer feeling like dirt because the agent is to weak and greedy and not a pro.</blockquote>

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1251496111][quote author="orgopeach" date=1251450847]Btw, is there any thread of a list of "evil" or "inept" agents? It might be helpful. Of course there should be some control, confirmation, or voting of information on there to prevent false slander.</blockquote>

I would STRONGLY advise against this in consideration of the blog owner's interests as well as your own. Libel (because its written) is a tricky thing. Postings intended to deter business from an individual really make things complicated. This is especially true if the comments are in regard to the profession and in reference to their ability to perform the duties of their profession. If you are going to mention someone by name, at least limit it to OPINION. If you are going to state some facts, be damn sure they are accurate.

And we often forget that in law, <strong>even when you are right,</strong> and <em>may </em>even win out at the end of the day should the case eventually proceed all the way to trial - who really wants to spend all that time and money defending a lawsuit that could have been avoided altogether by using discretion in posting. This holds true for so many areas of law.

Long story short: If you want complete freedom and don't want to worry, just keep the realtor's name out of your post.</blockquote>

Good advice, JD. And thanks for not charging us. =) ...OOps, I almost named Trojanman to that list. Hahaha! j/k.

It is alittle concerning that the realtor sent you that email a few months after the transaction. I would think he would spend more of his time trying to find more clients. Instead, it seems like he's hung up on his past failed deal(s).

JD, that makes sense. Fact and opinion are two very different things. It would be a bit dangerous legally.

Note, I never used his name in the the thread - only if you want a PM.

To his credit, he was nice upfront and during the time we were with him. It's just this situation months later that is creepy and disturbing.

As far as responding, maybe these are his last words and he will move on. If I respond it might provoke further dialogue.

I concur with the above. Definitely very short-term focused. My agent tried something similar with scare tactics, even going so far as to say I would not find another good house again. Chalk it up to immaturity and insecurity. Sounds like he's pushing some of his guilt onto you.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1251450290]True, but I doubt the guy would go to the County Recorder's Office just to pull up Grant Deeds on homes closed in Irvine. He found the information on MLS via the property records database.</blockquote>Does the MLS property records database show names ? Us lay people must walk into the Recorder's if we have a reason to know actual names of purchasers/owners/etc.

I would find out where he lives (if you dont know already), print out his email, get some dog s#it, leave both the email print out and the dog shit on his door step with a little note telling him to #uck off. That way he will also know that you know where he lives.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1251510974]I would find out where he lives (if you dont know already), print out his email, get some dog s#it, leave both the email print out and the dog shit on his door step with a little note telling him to #uck off. That way he will also know that you know where he lives.</blockquote>

remind me to never piss you off

[quote author="xoneinax" date=1251507144][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1251450290]True, but I doubt the guy would go to the County Recorder's Office just to pull up Grant Deeds on homes closed in Irvine. He found the information on MLS via the property records database.</blockquote>Does the MLS property records database show names ? Us lay people must walk into the Recorder's if we have a reason to know actual names of purchasers/owners/etc.</blockquote>
Yes, I can see the full names of the owner/s and their mailing address (which can be different then the home). It also lists out some details on the home like properties taxes, lot size, loan history, etc.

[quote author="Stuff It" date=1251529010][quote author="qwerty" date=1251510974]I would find out where he lives (if you dont know already), print out his email, get some dog s#it, leave both the email print out and the dog shit on his door step with a little note telling him to #uck off. That way he will also know that you know where he lives.</blockquote>

remind me to never piss you off</blockquote>
He speaks softly, but carries a big gun. haha

[quote author="orgopeach" date=1251440221]I had a post earlier about buying a home in Columbus Grove. I mentioned I went through a few realtors before buying a home with the last one.

Realtor#1 was a nice gentleman. He wasn't exactly our style. After a few months with him and after he lost our personal and sensitive financial information (later recovered), we decided to postpone house hunting and eventually moved onto other realtors.

I recently received an email from him:

"While I feel used on spending so much time educating you on the rates, showing you homes, the short sale process, closing etc, I still would like to wish you the best in your future together and in your new home.

Even though realtor use occurs and the buyer agency agreement/contract helps the agents prevent this use of resource, I still hold to my value that I wont have my buyers sign an agency agreement.

Again, I wish you luck in your careers and your life together. "

At the bottom of the email, he attached a link to the home we just bought. Almost like I know what you guys are up to type of thing.

1. How can one search a recently purchase home solely by name? How do you think he found it?

2. How would you react to this email?

Thanks all!

PM me if you want the Realtor information.</blockquote>

Extremely unprofessional and it just makes him look like a baby. It comes with the job, as it does with any other job in sales. He must have that email as a template and send it out a lot, because the situation probably occurs pretty frequently. I think it's unprofessional all-together to make a client sign a buyer agency agreement just to show property in the first place.

It also makes me think he was holding a grudge for awhile and searching records on every home sold, and just waiting to see your name come up on title.

[quote author="orgopeach" date=1251450401]We closed about 2-3 weeks ago. USCTrojan told me one has to actual expend efforts to search for me in particular.

I have not been in contact with that agent for over 3 months. I made no mention of the agent's name or company to any latter realtors, so he must have searched for me.

I think my strategy will be not to send an email. If I find a dead horse head in my bed however, I am calling the Irvine SWAT team.</blockquote>

I bet he read your other thread, identified with the description of Realtor #1, searched recently closed Columbus Grove properties in your range, and found your property. As a result, he's pissed that he didn't get the commission and had to read about his unsatisfactory service on IHB. If he's reading this thread, he won't take any other actions because qwerty scared the crap out of him (and me).

[quote author="graphrix" date=1251478062]Here is the new rule for all on IHB... buy your house under a trust you have set up beforehand. You should have a trust set up anyway, but that is another rant. Just make sure it is not the "Joe Smith Trust", and instead the "Spider Monkeys Rule Trust". You all are worried about the a$$ hat agents who might stalk you, I need to hide from the dumb a$$ bulls who said I was wrong three years ago and even today. Good luck in finding me...</blockquote>
Well I can't buy my next home under the USCTrojanMan29 Trust so I'll probably use Graphcakes The Snark Trust to throw people off.

Back