New Owner Problems

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Probably depends on the floorplan.

My 15 year old house has extra insulation and we don't have issues with noise from one level going to the other.

I do see the quality that we got when we bought here is WAAAAY WAAAAAAAY better than what I'm seeing in new homes now. Makes me appreciate my house more and more every day. Unfortunately the house is too big now and no downstairs Master so we need another house.

The problem isn't the construction in this case...it was the sales pitch.  If you read the description of the insulation with the design center, they give you an R13 rated insulation.  That's pretty much good for nothing other than to kinda sorta regulate temperature.  Does it provide some sound insulation?  yes...the voices are muffled versus clear.  But you can still hear most.

Head over to Home Depot, check out the R13 insulation and then go check out the Roxul Soundproofing insulation.  You'll understand why sound travels still.

broda said:
The problem isn't the construction in this case...it was the sales pitch.  If you read the description of the insulation with the design center, they give you an R13 rated insulation.  That's pretty much good for nothing other than to kinda sorta regulate temperature.  Does it provide some sound insulation?  yes...the voices are muffled versus clear.  But you can still hear most.

Head over to Home Depot, check out the R13 insulation and then go check out the Roxul Soundproofing insulation.  You'll understand why sound travels still.

I agree.  I usually take what the Design Center (or any sales person) with a grain of salt.  I got the insulation because it was relatively cheap, not something I want to do after I move in, and it provides some temperature benefits.

Why don't Design Center or other builders offer higher grade, soundproofing insulation?

They can certainly charge more for it and I, for one, will certainly pay for it. 

lnc said:
Why don't Design Center or other builders offer higher grade, soundproofing insulation?

They can certainly charge more for it and I, for one, will certainly pay for it.

I wondered that as well and figured perhaps they'd have to buy it in bulk and there's a possibility there would be insufficient demand.

Maybe?

Been poking around curious about possibly even having soundproof insulation foam added by a contractor. Haven't gotten any estimates yet, but have found some places on Yelp.

I'd feel stupid for paying even more for after-market insulation, but the inter-floor sound is so bothersome we might actually do it (if/when affordable).

Not worth the effort.  Can you imagine all the complaints they'd have to address about the noise not being abated appropriately.

Installing soundproofing insulation is a PIA and time consuming or it doesn't work effectively.  Using the spray foam stuff is more difficult because everything has to be done, inspected and signed off before spraying and closing up.

Meritage in Sendero is offering spray foam insulation. You can definitely tell a difference between a house that has that type of insulation verses the cheaper stuff. I lost my wife and kids in the model homes because I could not hear them in the upstairs walk in. I ended up looking in the other two models before I ran into them again.

jwinston2 said:
Meritage in Sendero is offering spray foam insulation. You can definitely tell a difference between a house that has that type of insulation verses the cheaper stuff. I lost my wife and kids in the model homes because I could not hear them in the upstairs walk in. I ended up looking in the other two models before I ran into them again.

wasnt it great not having your kids and wife around? :-)

Back