Lower priced parts of Irvine?

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
We are white collar parents with very young kids (surprise). We're trying to see if we can get a home in Irvine, looking in the 1.4M range with no to low HOA within the next 12 months.

We noticed the greentree and college park elementary school areas seem to have the lowest priced homes. I've heard that all parts of Irvine are great but it does make us curious why. Could someone please shed light on that to expect from these areas relative to others for young families?

I have a single story 3bd home in Walnut (no Mello Roos and low HOA) coming up next month for under $1.5m.

We are white collar parents with very young kids (surprise). We're trying to see if we can get a home in Irvine, looking in the 1.4M range with no to low HOA within the next 12 months.

We noticed the greentree and college park elementary school areas seem to have the lowest priced homes. I've heard that all parts of Irvine are great but it does make us curious why. Could someone please shed light on that to expect from these areas relative to others for young families?
Greentree and College Park are both nice family friendly neighborhoods in Irvine. I think the neighborhoods in the Walnut area of Irvine have always been lower priced because they're not as "pretty" as some of the other parts of Irvine. I think this is due to the fact that many of these homes were built prior to the polished and bigger masterplanned communities of Irvine. Also, since some of the neighborhoods there have no HOA, some homes aren't as well-kept or you might see some interesting things that wouldn't fly in neighborhoods with HOAs/stricter HOAs. Also, Irvine High doesn't have the best rep in comparison to other Irvine schools, so I believe that's another factor that contributes to the lower prices.

That being said, in the Walnut area, College Park and Greentree are the two I like the most. I also really like The Ranch, but the prices there keep getting higher and higher. The Ranch is a really tight knit community where people actually get to know their neighbors. Although, many of the older people who have lived there for decades seem to be selling.

Last edited:
Yea, you are basically describing college park, Walnut and Greentree communities.

There is also a smaller area near Myford Elementary that has no HOA, but the price goes up to the 1.6m range.

Something interesting about the older Irvine area is that there is a slight gentrification going on as the older generation retires/dies off, and younger higher income families move in.

The HOA there is also a bit more relaxed in general, which can be a good or bad thing. At least no one going around bothering people for putting up the Halloween decors too early, or remove a Christmas sugar cane from the door a week too late.

Back