Installing OSX on older/unsupported Mac

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program

momopi

If you have an older Mac and would like to upgrade to newer OSX, it can be done via Open Core Legacy Patcher:

I've successfully upgraded a 2009 Macbook (5,2) with 4GB RAM & SSD to OSX Monterey. It required jumping through multiple hoops to make it work (I could write a 2-3 page instruction on this). It runs OK, a bit sluggish starting apps. I think If you have an older (2007-2011) Mac with 4GB RAM and USB 1.1, it'd be easier to install Linux Mint instead -- you'll have access to the latest security updates and linux apps.

If you have a 2012+ Mac, you'd jump through fewer hoops. Preferably you should have SSD and 8GB RAM to go beyond Monterey, which is supported until Nov 30, 2024 by Apple. I might upgrade a 2013 21.5" iMac to Sonoma later.

Last edited:
OpenCore is amazing! I have a 2012 Mac Mini (I upgraded the RAM and changed to SSD years ago) on it and it is still running great with Sequoia.

OpenCore is amazing! I have a 2012 Mac Mini (I upgraded the RAM and changed to SSD years ago) on it and it is still running great with Sequoia.

You have the good fortune of being able to upgrade to 2x8GB DDR3 RAM for $16.

My 2009 MacBook could take 2x4GB DDR2 after BIOS update, but the RAM cost $50 and it's not worth it.

For the 2013 21.5" iMac, it came with 8GB RAM installed and after viewing the RAM upgrade video, I think I'll upgrade the SSD only.

Sequoia will be the last OSX that supports Intel. I think Apple will support Sequoia with updates until late 2027. Afterwards it's probably the end of the intel hackintosh era.

Last edited:
Back