Inappropriate Relocation

GraceOMalley_IHB

BK and I have a next door neighbor who has lived in his house over 50 years and is in his early 90's. Over the last few months he put up a squirrel trap because of the abundance of fruit and avocado trees, there is also a very healthy squirrel population. He put a "no kill" trap up on the wall between our properties, lures them in with a peanut, and then the door closes and they are trapped. They usually fly around the trap getting madder and madder. Sometimes they get so mad the trap falls of the wall.

He has caught roughly 1 squirrel a day over the last 2 months. As an aside BK has also recently declared war on all squirrels and their brethren and has booby trapped our avocado tree. I guess he's hoping for a lot of guac in the late summer. But I digress.

Once our neighbor started catching squirrels he didn't know what to do with them. And he didn't want to kill them so he decided that when he went to the hardware store he would drop one off there. If he took his wife to the beauty shop he dropped one off there, if he went out to dinner he dropped one off there.. you get the idea. Inappropriate relocation.

So yesterday BK was outside watering in the morning, and he came in and asked me to look at the creature trapped in the squirrel trap because it was the biggest, ugliest squirrel he had ever seen.

It wasnt a squirrel it was a possum. UGH! What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Anyway, its working we havent had many squirrels lately. But I find the inappropriate relocation kind of awesome.

Old people rule. And because old people rule here is a short youtube you might find amusing. Please make sure your sound is on.

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1245318799]BK and I have a next door neighbor who has lived in his house over 50 years and is in his early 90's. Over the last few months he put up a squirrel trap because of the abundance of fruit and avocado trees here there is also a very healthy squirrel population. He put a "no kill" trap up on the wall between our properties, lures them in with a peanut, and then the door closes and they are trapped. They usually fly around the trap getting madder and madder. Sometimes they get so mad the trap falls of the wall.

He has caught roughly 1 squirrel a day over the last 2 months. As an aside BK has also recently declared war on all squirrels and their brethren and has booby trapped our avocado tree. I guess he's hoping for a lot of guac in the late summer. But I digress.

Once our neighbor started catching squirrels he didn't know what to do with them. And he didn't want to kill them so he decided that when he went to the hardware store he would drop one off there. If he took his wife to the beauty shop he dropped one off there, if he went out to dinner he dropped one off there.. you get the idea. Inappropriate relocation.

So yesterday BK was outside watering in the morning, and he came in and asked me to look at the creature trapped in the squirrel trap because it was the biggest, ugliest squirrel he had ever seen.

It wasnt a squirrel it was a possum. UGH! What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Anyway, its working we havent had many squirrels lately. But I find the inappropriate relocation kind of awesome.

Old people rule. And because old people rule here is a short youtube you might find amusing. <object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object></blockquote>
Old people FTW! haha

Do they have anything like the <a href="http://www.cityofirvine.org/ipd/divisions/animalservices/default.asp">Irvine Animal Services</a> in your city? I know the city of Irvine will come pick up dead or trapped animals. Maybe you can have your neighbor drop off the squirrels in Irvine.

<a href="http://www.ci.santa-ana.ca.us/pd/animalservices.asp">http://www.ci.santa-ana.ca.us/pd/animalservices.asp</a>

Please note:

<blockquote>Services Not Offered by Animal Services Section

Do not trap or transport wild cats (feral cats);

<strong>Do not deal with wildlife</strong> (<em><strong>live opossums</strong></em>, ducks or ducklings, bird nests, bees);

<strong>Do not transport live wildlife</strong>;

<strong>Do not trap wildlife.</strong> (If you trap a wild animal, you need to release it.)

Animal Services is restricted by California Fish and Game in regards to wildlife. For questions about wildlife, you may contact the California Department of Fish and Game, San Diego Office at (858) 467-4201. </blockquote>

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill here - but you and/or your neighbor are breaking the law, and if one of your do-gooder tree hugging PETA type neighbors find out, you'll be in a whole lick of trouble.

Call Fish and Game ASAP for clarification.

Seriously, he should just drop them off in Park Santiago. There are literally thousands of them running around. For some reason even though my house backs to the park, I have only seen one in my yard in five years. They seem to have a plentiful food supply somewhere in the park and I know that a few more won't hurt anything. My kids have fun chasing them around the park and have never even come close to one of them. Just park in the lot off of Valencia St. and let them go. As for the possums, they really aren't hurting anything and there's really no reason not to just let them go where they are, it's possible that they have babies somewhere near. I have dealt with possums for many years, they are incredibly harmless and I may be strange, but I actually think they are cute. Funny video.

[quote author="tmare" date=1245322067] I have dealt with possums for many years, they are incredibly harmless and I may be strange, but I actually think they are cute.</blockquote>

An opossum is meaner than shit (especially if they have babies around), and if they bite you, they do not let go. Luckily, they are pretty dossle unless you mess with them.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1245322626][quote author="tmare" date=1245322067] I have dealt with possums for many years, they are incredibly harmless and I may be strange, but I actually think they are cute.</blockquote>

An opossum is meaner than shit (especially if they have babies around), and if they bite you, they do not let go. Luckily, they are pretty dossle unless you mess with them.</blockquote>

I'm sure they can be, but in about 20 years and over 20 encounters with them, I have never seen one actually be anything but scared or just play dead. I've taken a few to a rescue house in Huntington Beach. Having a few miniature daschunds over the years ensures that you will have to deal with possums, like it or not. Boy, do I have some stories.

My booby traps are not effective in trapping the thieves. My devices are galvanize sheet metal wrapped around the tree trunk and spikes on the major branches as deterrent. Not to worry because I am not breaking the law. If the squirrel population is out of control then I will request IHB dining moderator for a shrimp paste squirrel recipe.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1245323475]My booby traps are not effective in trapping the thieves. My devices are galvanize sheet metal wrapped around the tree trunk and spikes on the major branches as deterrent. Not to worry because I am not breaking the law. If the squirrel population is out of control then I will request IHB dining moderator for a shrimp paste squirrel recipe.</blockquote>

Sounds like the old man knows a little more about trapping.

I'm really glad we don't have an avocado tree because my husband's solution to the what to do with the squirrels after they're trapped is to just whack 'em over the head. I can't believe I married this man.

[quote author="reason" date=1245324568]90 yrs old? What's his secret to longevity?</blockquote>

He works in his yard most days, is pretty active and was a marine in WW2. Hes a nice old guy. Friendly, smiley and funny.

[quote author="jumpcut" date=1245323689]I've never seen a squirrel in Woodbury. Plenty of jackrabbits though...</blockquote>
The squirrels do not like the small yards in Irvine. The few brave ones that went into woodbury were trapped in the Irvine street maze either died from starvation or became road pizza.

[quote author="reason" date=1245324568]90 yrs old? What's his secret to longevity?</blockquote>
A very large garden and his labor of love for 50 yes.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1245325183][quote author="reason" date=1245324568]90 yrs old? What's his secret to longevity?</blockquote>
A very large garden and his labor of love for 50 yes.</blockquote>

I believe that gardening gives one longevity. Our neighbors and longtime family friends have a large yard (over 1/2 acre) and their home has been featured in gardening magazines. Every corner of the yard is beautiful. They are both in their 80's and have never had a gardener. It is literally a full-time job. He moves much more slowly now and has recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease but I see him in the yard daily. They have raised 9 children in that house, one has died and a few have had some problems but he's out in his beautiful yard daily.

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1245324922][quote author="reason" date=1245324568]90 yrs old? What's his secret to longevity?</blockquote>

He works in his yard most days, is pretty active and was a marine in WW2. Hes a nice old guy. Friendly, smiley and funny.</blockquote>

A WWII veteran, amazing.

[quote author="tmare" date=1245325736][quote author="bkshopr" date=1245325183][quote author="reason" date=1245324568]90 yrs old? What's his secret to longevity?</blockquote>
A very large garden and his labor of love for 50 yes.</blockquote>

I believe that gardening gives one longevity. Our neighbors and longtime family friends have a large yard (over 1/2 acre) and their home has been featured in gardening magazines. Every corner of the yard is beautiful. They are both in their 80's and have never had a gardener. It is literally a full-time job. He moves much more slowly now and has recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease but I see him in the yard daily. They have raised 9 children in that house, one has died and a few have had some problems but he's out in his beautiful yard daily.</blockquote>

I was just about to say, "It must be a darn big yard." :)

Just FYI... I have a very high powered and accurate air rifle. I am willing to offer my services, even if it could mean being arrested. It's the sacrifice I am willing to make for BK's avocados and Cayci's famous guacamole.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1245326285]Just FYI... I have a very high powered and accurate air rifle. I am willing to offer my services, even if it could mean being arrested. It's the sacrifice I am willing to make for BK's avocados and Cayci's famous guacamole.</blockquote>

You sound just like my husband. My husband has grown accustomed to my "no kill" rules, it's taken some time but I know you can do it too, Cayci.

Back