Looking for a nanny?

thanks tmare!

english: enough to communicate with each other even if it's in broken/simple english.

pay: $9 -$10/hr

hours per week: approx 25 hours Monday - Friday. Some weekends which would be additional hours and dare I say date nights?? :)

days/hours can be flexible depending on my schedule and the nanny's schedule. it can be 3 days a week or 5 days a week.

[quote author="sarahchella" date=1248174095]thanks tmare!

english: enough to communicate with each other even if it's in broken/simple english.

hours per week: approx 25 hours Monday - Friday. Some weekends which would be additional hours and dare I say date nights?? :)

days/hours can be flexible depending on my schedule and the nanny's schedule. it can be 3 days a week or 5 days a week.</blockquote>

It will be tough to find a decent part-time nanny at that pay rate I would guess. We started our nanny out years ago at $10/hour and she makes $12/hour now... If you were looking for full-time or nearly full-time I could refer you but she's already turned down one gig for 24 hours per week that I know of. Good luck. You should try one of the nanny sites. Seems like more part-timers there. <a href="http://www.nannies4hire.com/index.asp">Nannies4hire</a> is good. We got some quality interviewees through them. <a href="http://www.enannysource.com/home_g.aspx">Enannysource</a> is okay.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1248185652][quote author="sarahchella" date=1248174095]thanks tmare!

days/hours can be flexible depending on my schedule and the nanny's schedule. it can be 3 days a week or 5 days a week.</blockquote>

It will be tough to find a decent part-time nanny at that pay rate I would guess. We started our nanny out years ago at $10/hour and she makes $12/hour now... If you were looking for full-time or nearly full-time I could refer you but she's already turned down one gig for 24 hours per week that I know of. Good luck. You should try one of the nanny sites. Seems like more part-timers there. <a href="http://www.nannies4hire.com/index.asp">Nannies4hire</a> is good. We got some quality interviewees through them. <a href="http://www.enannysource.com/home_g.aspx">Enannysource</a> is okay.</blockquote>

what's considered full or nearly full time for a nanny? 30-40 hours a week? we definitely need the help, but i don't think we can afford a full time nanny at this time. our original sitter was a nursing student at a local college and the 5 hours a day 3-5 days a week (depending on my workload and her school schedule) worked well for us for the last 4 months.

i'll try the nanny sites you listed. thanks.

Thank you all that have commented in this thread. This only re-confirms the importance of those without kids of the importance of having your financial ducks in a row. And, what the costs of having the freedom you have now will cost then if you want to continue to have those freedoms. I'm not being snarky, this really does help in the consideration of the costs of having kids.

[quote author="sarahchella" date=1248191930]

what's considered full or nearly full time for a nanny? 30-40 hours a week? we definitely need the help, but i don't think we can afford a full time nanny at this time. our original sitter was a nursing student at a local college and the 5 hours a day 3-5 days a week (depending on my workload and her school schedule) worked well for us for the last 4 months.

i'll try the nanny sites you listed. thanks.</blockquote>

The typical full-time nanny is going to work 40 hours per week, maybe 45... Our nanny is normally here 8.5 hours per day although I think nap time for our boys is normally down time for her.

I noticed during my nanny search when ours left due to pregnancy a couple of years back that the nanny web sites had a number of students seeking part-time nanny work.

Finding and hiring an in-home caregiver can be a frustrating and tough experience. It's probably a little easier if you work from home and can kind of keep an eye on things. We've been blessed with the awesome nanny for the better part of the last four years. Some of our friends have had 4-5 nannies over that same time span.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1248197488]Thank you all that have commented in this thread. This only re-confirms the importance of those without kids of the importance of having your financial ducks in a row. And, what the costs of having the freedom you have now will cost then if you want to continue to have those freedoms. I'm not being snarky, this really does help in the consideration of the costs of having kids.</blockquote>

For us it is not really an issue of freedom as our nanny is only at our home while we are both at work, freedom left the building long ago. Just something else to consider. We only pay her so that we can go to work which is another reason why we don't get out much. Who wants to pay more when you are already paying 2K a month?

[quote author="PANDA" date=1242084724]Just curious, how much does it cost to have a full-time nanny and what would be their exact responsibilities and expectations?</blockquote>

Actually, having live-in child care is much less than you might think. I am the local child care coordinator for Cultural Care Au Pair. An au pair is part of an exchange program. They come to this country on an education visa and live in a families' home in exchange for 45 hours per week of child care. The au pairs range from 18 to 26 years old and are thoroughly screened and must pass an English test. The host family writes the au pair's work schedule. They can have the au pair work in the evening, week-ends, whatever the family needs. At Cultural care Au Pair, we match families with au pairs based on interests, personalities, and child care needs. We are the largest au pair agency in the country, having successfully placed over 75,000 au pairs into welcoming homes. The au pairs come from 35 different countries.

The price of the au pair does not change, even if you have a special needs child, infant, or multiple children. For full time care, it averages out to $330. per week for 45 hours and you set to your schedule.... no matter how many children you have this is the price.

I know a family that was paying about $1000. each in Irvine for day care for her two children. She had a horrible time when the children were sick because her work place did not support her taking off. With an au pair, you don't have to worry about that. It is less expensive and when your child is sick, they stay home with the au pair.

If you want to learn more, my web site is www.ccaupairservices.com or you can call me (Katherine) at (949)331-3802

[quote author="KatherineS" date=1248931312][quote author="PANDA" date=1242084724]Just curious, how much does it cost to have a full-time nanny and what would be their exact responsibilities and expectations?</blockquote>

Actually, having live-in child care is much less than you might think. I am the local child care coordinator for Cultural Care Au Pair. An au pair is part of an exchange program. They come to this country on an education visa and live in a families' home in exchange for 45 hours per week of child care. The au pairs range from 18 to 26 years old and are thoroughly screened and must pass an English test. The host family writes the au pair's work schedule. They can have the au pair work in the evening, week-ends, whatever the family needs. At Cultural care Au Pair, we match families with au pairs based on interests, personalities, and child care needs. We are the largest au pair agency in the country, having successfully placed over 75,000 au pairs into welcoming homes. The au pairs come from 35 different countries.

The price of the au pair does not change, even if you have a special needs child, infant, or multiple children. For full time care, it averages out to $330. per week for 45 hours and you set to your schedule.... no matter how many children you have this is the price.

I know a family that was paying about $1000. each in Irvine for day care for her two children. She had a horrible time when the children were sick because her work place did not support her taking off. With an au pair, you don't have to worry about that. It is less expensive and when your child is sick, they stay home with the au pair.

If you want to learn more, my web site is www.ccaupairservices.com or you can call me (Katherine) at (949)331-3802</blockquote>
Thank you for this information.

We looked into an Au Pair a while back but ended up with a live-in nanny because we couldn't get enough information and the nanny came from a friend who highly recommended her.

This is something we might do again as our kids go to elementary school and instead of daycare, we use a babysitter/nanny/Au Pair.

I have a question, are Au Pairs only live-in care?

[quote author="sarahchella" date=1248158790]hi there! i'm new to the forums, but we're looking for a nanny for our 8 month old baby. we had a regular sitter for the past 4 months, but she became pregnant unexpectedly and decided to take time off for herself.

i run my own home based business and am in need of a hopefully long term nanny/housecleaning (light stuff - laundry, loading/unloading dish washer, tidying around the house) person to come over 3-5 days a week for about 5-8 hours a day so that i can work. i would greatly appreciate any recommendations in the tustin/irvine area.

or anyone interested in sharing a nanny?</blockquote>

Have you thought about having an au pair? An au pair is live-in child care, you set the hours. The au pairs are from 35 different countries. They all speak English well and pass extensive background checks. Families are matched with au pairs based on interests, personalities, and child care needs. You can see more at www.ccaupairservices.com or you can call me (Katherine) to learn more. I am the local childcare coordinator in Orange County (949)331-3802

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1248931675][quote author="KatherineS" date=1248931312][quote author="PANDA" date=1242084724]Just curious, how much does it cost to have a full-time nanny and what would be their exact responsibilities and expectations?</blockquote>

If you want to learn more, my web site is www.ccaupairservices.com or you can call me (Katherine) at (949)331-3802</blockquote>
Thank you for this information.

We looked into an Au Pair a while back but ended up with a live-in nanny because we couldn't get enough information and the nanny came from a friend who highly recommended her.

This is something we might do again as our kids go to elementary school and instead of daycare, we use a babysitter/nanny/Au Pair.

I have a question, are Au Pairs only live-in care?</blockquote>

Yes, they are all live-in care. If you consider this in the future and would like to speak with a family that is in the program, just give me a call and I will give you the numbers of some families in the program.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1248933576]Sorry... another question:

Do some Au Pairs drive? Or have their own cars?</blockquote>

Yes they drive. No they don't bring their own cars over to the states...

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1248945338][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1248933576]Sorry... another question:

Yes they drive. No they don't bring their own cars over to the states...</blockquote>
Smart aleck.

I have no idea if these Au Pairs may have bought their own vehicles, 1300 a month with free room & board is pretty good.

So how are things going IPO?

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1248945338][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1248933576]Sorry... another question:

Yes they drive. No they don't bring their own cars over to the states...</blockquote>

What if they came with a Euro only version of said car? I mean... if I could keep said car that was considered "unique", then I might be interested in paying for the shipping costs of the Au Pair and the car. A left-hand drive Aston Martin would make Skekker sooooo... jealous. Mmmm... this kid thing is starting to look like there might be some good things in it.

I'm not popping out a sprout so you can get a left-hand drive Aston Martin.

However, a Au Pair situation sounds interesting. I had never heard of it before.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1249001630]They are called graphitos. Or caycitas depending on the XY/YY pairing.</blockquote>

According to acpme (He's a smart dude because he went to VPHS, not so much because he went to Wharton), no matter the XY/YY pairing they are just known as graphifish.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1249002575][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1249001630]They are called graphitos. Or caycitas depending on the XY/YY pairing.</blockquote>

According to acpme (He's a smart dude because he went to VPHS, not so much because he went to Wharton), no matter the XY/YY pairing they are just known as graphifish.</blockquote>

So cute :)

Gotta watch out for the Au Pair situation, though. I knew someone who had one - the arrangement went SO well, that the Au Pair replaced the wife/mom in about 3 years. Maybe the wives should look into requesting one that is not good looking and cannot cook well. ;)

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1249435337]Gotta watch out for the Au Pair situation, though. I knew someone who had one - the arrangement went SO well, that the Au Pair replaced the wife/mom in about 3 years. Maybe the wives should look into requesting one that is not good looking and cannot cook well. ;)</blockquote>

Or you could hire a male au pair.

Back