Looking for a nanny?

SoCal78_IHB

I seem to recall some talk on this board not too long ago about someone looking for a new nanny but I can't seem to remember who. There is one I have gotten to know a bit and she is looking for a new family to work for. She's experienced and impresses me as being patient and loving. She's lives in Tustin. PM me if you would like details.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1241861546]I seem to recall some talk on this board not too long ago about someone looking for a new nanny but I can't seem to remember who. There is one I have gotten to know a bit and she is looking for a new family to work for. She's experienced and impresses me as being patient and loving. She's lives in Tustin. PM me if you would like details.</blockquote>

was it that date night thread?

Our nanny, who has worked for us full-time for around 4 years, will be done come July. She has been a wonderful caregiver to my boys, an amazingly responisble and trustworthy employee, and great help around the house... Her English is limited but she does drive and has her own car. I'd be happy to put anyone looking for a good nanny in touch with her.

We are looking for a good nanny for a few hours a day - late afternoon. Would it be possible to talk to your nanny if she would be interested? What is her primary language?

[quote author="new_to_irvine" date=1242049749]We are looking for a good nanny for a few hours a day - late afternoon. Would it be possible to talk to your nanny if she would be interested? What is her primary language?</blockquote>

If you are asking me N2I, I don't think our nanny would want to work part-time. She has a young daughter (we let her bring her to the house a few days a week to play with my youngest son) to support and a car payment... Even if she did take a part-time gig, I know she would be looking to a full-time position and eventually leave.

[quote author="new_to_irvine" date=1242049749]We are looking for a good nanny for a few hours a day - late afternoon. Would it be possible to talk to your nanny if she would be interested? What is her primary language?</blockquote>

I would imagine that you will not find too many people who will take part time work permanently. They might tell you what you want to hear to get hired but once they find a full-time position, they'll be gone. You may be able to find a "nanny share" situation, I know of two families in our neighborhood who share one nanny. In order to find someone like this you would probably need to use a nanny service. When someone in our neighborhood needs a nanny, they head for the park and chat to the nanny groups that meet there daily. Good luck in your search.

Just curious, how much does it cost to have a full-time nanny and what would be their exact responsibilities and expectations?

The costs can vary greatly depending on the skills of the nanny and the responsibilities they have. I believe that most people pay "under the table" which is of course, not legal. The problem is that most of the time, neither the nanny nor the employer can afford to pay any other way (and the only other option is full time day care). The majority of nannies I know make anywhere between $9-$12 per hour and work about 9 hours a day. Of course, in more affluent locations I have heard that they can make significantly more. They are usually paid more if they speak English and have their own car and driver's license. Their responsibilities are usually childcare (of course), light housekeeping (lots of laundry it seems) and some even do a bit of cooking for the family's dinner. I guess I could write a book on the subject by now, as I'm sure IPO could also, but these are the basics.

Thanks for the info tmare,

It seems to make a lot of sense if both the husband and wife is working full-time and does not have much time for house keeping, cooking, and childcare. Having a live in nanny is practically unheard of in the midwest even if you are affluent, and thought this was more of an affuent Asian family thing. Irvine is a very interesting place. I've heard of some wealthy Asian families bringing in a nanny from the Phillippines to live with them for many many years and treat the nanny as part of the family.

I only know one family who has a live-in nanny and they live in No. California. Again, maybe the live-in nannies are found in places like Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar and Laguna Beach. Most of us just don't have the space for the live-in.

tmare's info re: nannies is right on given my experience. Our nanny made $10/hour when we only had one child and makes $12.50/hour now. She works around 8-8.5 hours per day and does do light housekeeping. That mostly consists of laundry, cleaning up in the kitchen, etc. The easiest way to find a nanny is definitely ask around at the neighborhood park. Our original nanny referred us to our current one. Much cheaper and easier than paying a service IMO.

We had a live-in nanny for about 3 years.

We were paying her about $10 per hour and providing food and housing. It does feel weird having someone else in the house but she went home on weekends and mostly kept to herself in the late evening.

She was very helpful and did light housekeeping... but the one thing I remember is she washed clothes like crazy... I think she did them every hour. I would wear a t-shirt one day, the next morning it would be washed and folded. You know those giant Kirkland detergent boxes? She would go through one in a month. Since she's been gone... I think we only go through one every 6 months... but it's much harder for me to find clean laundry to wear... hehe.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242096286]We had a live-in nanny for about 3 years.

We were paying her about $10 per hour and providing food and housing. It does feel weird having someone else in the house but she went home on weekends and mostly kept to herself in the late evening.

She was very helpful and did light housekeeping... but the one thing I remember is she washed clothes like crazy... I think she did them every hour. I would wear a t-shirt one day, the next morning it would be washed and folded. You know those giant Kirkland detergent boxes? She would go through one in a month. Since she's been gone... I think we only go through one every 6 months... but it's much harder for me to find clean laundry to wear... hehe.</blockquote>

Oh my God!! I know exactly what you are saying. If there isn't any laundry to do I swear our nanny takes clothes out of the closets and drawers and washes them again. In fact, one day I came home and my underwear and socks drawers were all neatly folded, I asked her why and she said she washed all of them. Seriously, did she think that I wear them and then put them back in the drawer when I'm done? I love her to pieces but some of these things just don't make any sense at all, and yes, we are using way too much laundry detergent.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242097964]Oh my God!! I know exactly what you are saying. If there isn't any laundry to do I swear our nanny takes clothes out of the closets and drawers and washes them again. In fact, one day I came home and my underwear and socks drawers were all neatly folded, I asked her why and she said she washed all of them. Seriously, did she think that I wear them and then put them back in the drawer when I'm done? I love her to pieces but some of these things just don't make any sense at all, and yes, we are using way too much laundry detergent.</blockquote>
So it's a nanny-centric affliction!

We had to hide our clothes because they were getting faded and worn from overwashing. I think our washing machine put more mileage into my clothes than we did.

I suggest you get to know some of the stay at home moms at your kid's school. My two children are cared for by my neighbor who is a stay at home mom. Her two children are the same age and in the same classes as my kids which makes watching mine very convenient for her. I pay her $8 per hour. I've been very happy with the arrangement.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242102362][quote author="tmare" date=1242097964]Oh my God!! I know exactly what you are saying. If there isn't any laundry to do I swear our nanny takes clothes out of the closets and drawers and washes them again. In fact, one day I came home and my underwear and socks drawers were all neatly folded, I asked her why and she said she washed all of them. Seriously, did she think that I wear them and then put them back in the drawer when I'm done? I love her to pieces but some of these things just don't make any sense at all, and yes, we are using way too much laundry detergent.</blockquote>
So it's a nanny-centric affliction!

We had to hide our clothes because they were getting faded and worn from overwashing. I think our washing machine put more mileage into my clothes than we did.</blockquote>

This is too funny. I had the same experience with my nanny - by sunset all laundry was finished.

I had a nanny when I lived overseas, not here. We became very close, and she desperately wants to come live with me here in the USA. I wish I knew how those Philipinos did it. My nanny was rejected when she tried to get a visa. What is the secret?!

Hi Socal, is your nanny still available? We are going to need a full-time nanny for our twin toddlers from July for at least a couple of months (likely more) until they are ready to go to preschool. Also anyone else, please PM me if you could recommend someone. Thanx!

[quote author="Mazy" date=1244076329]Hi Socal, is your nanny still available? We are going to need a full-time nanny for our twin toddlers from July for at least a couple of months (likely more) until they are ready to go to preschool. Also anyone else, please PM me if you could recommend someone. Thanx!</blockquote>

Sorry, didn't see this until just now. I will send a PM.

hi there! i'm new to the forums, but we're looking for a nanny for our 8 month old baby. we had a regular sitter for the past 4 months, but she became pregnant unexpectedly and decided to take time off for herself.

i run my own home based business and am in need of a hopefully long term nanny/housecleaning (light stuff - laundry, loading/unloading dish washer, tidying around the house) person to come over 3-5 days a week for about 5-8 hours a day so that i can work. i would greatly appreciate any recommendations in the tustin/irvine area.

or anyone interested in sharing a nanny?

[quote author="sarahchella" date=1248158790]hi there! i'm new to the forums, but we're looking for a nanny for our 8 month old baby. we had a regular sitter for the past 4 months, but she became pregnant unexpectedly and decided to take time off for herself.

i run my own home based business and am in need of a hopefully long term nanny/housecleaning (light stuff - laundry, loading/unloading dish washer, tidying around the house) person to come over 3-5 days a week for about 5-8 hours a day so that i can work. i would greatly appreciate any recommendations in the tustin/irvine area.

or anyone interested in sharing a nanny?</blockquote>

Couple of questions:

Is speaking English a requirement?

What type of hourly rate are you willing to pay and for how many hours a week?

Would there be a regular schedule or do you want it to be flexible?

I have a few connections but this information is essential.

Back