Relocating to Irvine

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program

SaSh

Hello there,

We are relocating to Irvine in Oct 2024. I will be exploring admission for my daughter (Asian-India) in grade 11. She has a been diagnosed with dyscalculia (40%) I am looking to enrol her in a high school which isn't very competitive . With hard work, she should be able to complete her basic Math credits. She is otherwise a talented, diligent teenager who plays the violin and drums.

Please recommend me a high school which can be easy to adapt to and may help her chart a reasonable transition to a good UC. This will determine our location for the big move.

PS- I am still new with the US terminologies for education.

Thanks so much

I think all of the Irvine high schools are competitive in general. Finding the right peer group will make a difference even at a competitive high school. I've heard that Irvine High and Woodbridge High are less competitive than University High and Northwood High (and I haven't heard much about Portola High).

A good UC seems to be the reach nowadays. One option to consider is doing coursework at a community college (Irvine Valley College) and then transferring to a UC. Here are some links:

Hope some other parents here can provide feedback.

Hello there,

We are relocating to Irvine in Oct 2024. I will be exploring admission for my daughter (Asian-India) in grade 11. She has a been diagnosed with dyscalculia (40%) I am looking to enroll her in a high school which isn't very competitive . With hard work, she should be able to complete her basic Math credits. She is otherwise a talented, diligent teenager who plays the violin and drums.

Please recommend me a high school which can be easy to adapt to and may help her chart a reasonable transition to a good UC. This will determine our location for the big move.

PS- I am still new with the US terminologies for education.

Thanks so much

I'd suggest talking to the school district to see where they have the resources that would best serve your daughter's needs. It's better to get it sorted out first before sending your child to the school.

There was an incident where the parents fought IUSD over inadequate special needs education for their child and it was ugly:

I think all of the Irvine high schools are competitive in general. Finding the right peer group will make a difference even at a competitive high school. I've heard that Irvine High and Woodbridge High are less competitive than University High and Northwood High (and I haven't heard much about Portola High).

A good UC seems to be the reach nowadays. One option to consider is doing coursework at a community college (Irvine Valley College) and then transferring to a UC. Here are some links:

These are some very good resources to get me started. Thanks so much for your timely help.

I'd suggest talking to the school district to see where they have the resources that would best serve your daughter's needs. It's better to get it sorted out first before sending your child to the school.

There was an incident where the parents fought IUSD over inadequate special needs education for their child and it was ugly:
. These will be great reckoners for me. Appreciate your timely help.

If you are open to private high schools in the Orange County area, check out these schools which have programs in place to support neurodivergent students:

Crean Lutheran High School in Irvine

Orange Lutheran High School in Orange

Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita

JSerra Catholic High School in San Juan Capistrano

Hope this helps.

If you are open to private high schools in the Orange County area, check out these schools which have programs in place to support neurodivergent students:

Crean Lutheran High School in Irvine

Orange Lutheran High School in Orange

Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita

JSerra Catholic High School in San Juan Capistrano

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much. These resources will be helpful indeed.

Back