How to Replace Screw On Shower Hinge That Has Very Little Thread

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program

woodburyowner

I'm replacing my shower door hinge. The issue is the part where the hinge attaches on the shower door frame. It's held by screws that go into 1/8" thickness aluminum frame. The existing screws are too small now and don't connect with the thread. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 8
Are the screws too small in diameter/gauge or too short in length? In any case you can probably find bigger or longer screws at you nearest hardware store, just match the screw size with the old ones.

Too small in diameter. The issue is that the hole/thread was enlarged/stripped as I removed the screw. I hope the hole on the hinge can accomodate a larger diameter. The material seems much stronger/harder than the aluminum frame. I was hoping there would be alternate solutions.

You can drill the two holes deeper and use a longer screw to attach the hinge.
After drilling the hole, I would shove a bunch of wood or other junk into the hole.
Then I would screw in the hinge.

The crap you shove in the hole acts like an expansion to anchor the screws in the hole. As you screw, the crap you shoved in the hole expands and holds the hinge and door in place.

Kind of like this: except instead of the plastic insert you are shoving other things into that hole.
drywall-anchors-01.png

The easiest fix would be to just shove a bunch of shit into the 2 holes and torque the old screws back in.
Who knows how long that fix will last..LOL

The problem with that is if it is a heavy sheet glass door…you really don’t want that coming loose down the road and shattering…can be very dangerous😳👎🏽

Attachments

• IMG_3606_Original.jpeg
    IMG_3606_Original.jpeg
    718.5 KB · Views: 5
You can go to Home Depot and get concrete expansion anchors and do it right where it will survive an earthquake or better, or you can just stuff some shit into the hole and get it done today. LOL

With doing it right, you may need a concrete drill. the wall holding it is concrete or wood?

Too small in diameter. The issue is that the hole/thread was enlarged/stripped as I removed the screw. I hope the hole on the hinge can accomodate a larger diameter. The material seems much stronger/harder than the aluminum frame. I was hoping there would be alternate solutions.

This could be a good option, it will give you a clean thread that's securely attached to the aluminum hollow frame.

Back