Tesla Cybertruck

Been visiting the Tesla stores in Fashion Island and Mission Viejo mall.

I can fit in a Model 3 but no one other than a kid can sit behind me so it's not really a family with older kids type car.

Not sure if the Y will be much better because same chassis as the 3.

By the time this truck is out, I think there will be better options SUV-wise like the Ford E-Mach and a bunch of other crossover SUVs slated for 20-21 release.

I think price point is the key here... anything $40kish should sell well.

irvinehomeowner said:
Been visiting the Tesla stores in Fashion Island and Mission Viejo mall.

I can fit in a Model 3 but no one other than a kid can sit behind me so it's not really a family with older kids type car.

Not sure if the Y will be much better because same chassis as the 3.

By the time this truck is out, I think there will be better options SUV-wise like the Ford E-Mach and a bunch of other crossover SUVs slated for 20-21 release.

I think price point is the key here... anything $40kish should sell well.

Model Y will have more interior room than 3. They managed to fit a 3rd row option on the Y. Just don't expect Model X level of space. 3rd row will be strictly for kids and frenemies.

Unless some other maker comes out with an electric truck for sub-$50k, I will highly consider this.

Supposedly Musk announced a production redesign to make it 6" shorter and about a 1" more narrow... so it should fit better in most garages.

Not sure I can wait until 21-22. :(

I like the VW ID series too... but not sure when they will actually be released. The Crozz is supposed to be 2020 but I doubt it. The bigger Roomzz is more to my liking but the name is bleh.

Looking at Lordstown also but we'll see if that ever comes out.

irvinehomeowner said:
Unless some other maker comes out with an electric truck for sub-$50k, I will highly consider this.

Supposedly Musk announced a production redesign to make it 6" shorter and about a 1" more narrow... so it should fit better in most garages.

Not sure I can wait until 21-22. :(

I'm keeping an eye on Rivian's offering, Covid-19 has slowed down their release plan but I'm hoping we will know more about their truck and SUV by end of the year.https://insideevs.com/reviews/365670/rivian-pickup-truck-price-range-production/

Start price is $69K though and it looks like the base models will come last.

I'd love to see Rivian be successful. Their truck and SUV concepts are amazing and there's always demand for trucks. The price tag is hefty, but the first vehicles should qualify for the federal tax credit. They also have a good sized presence in Irvine (a quick search on their careers site shows nearly 200 open jobs in Irvine).

Assuming that the technology, drive quality, and supercharger network can match Tesla, where they can differentiate is customer service and build quality. If they can nail that from the outset they're a clear competitor.

I think Rivian has good chance to be successful in the long run mainly because they are well funded. (Now by both Ford and Amazon) EV space is full of startups. And startups mainly die when they run out of money or when talents get poached.

That said, I don?t think the Rivian R1T and R1S would even be competitive with Tesla cybertruck simply because the huge difference in starting price.

R1T starts at 69k, R1S at 73k, and CyberTruck starts at 40k.

The $7500 federal tax credit will help cheaper EVs like VW?s ID compete with Tesla, but probably won?t move the needle much at Rivian?s price range.

Rivian also has less range and only half the payload capacity compared to the Cybertruck.

Rivian?s appeal will be limited. I think most car buyers are value conscious. Tesla is just the better value buy.

Yeah... not sure why all these EV trucks are pricing themselves above the CT.

At least the Lordstown is in the $50k and supposedly Fisker is going to come out with a truck... but we will see.

Meanwhile, Tesla continues to get first to market and then competes on price too.

Also, supposedly a smaller CyberTruck is in the plans since the first one couldn't get a size reduction.

...and this is why I drive a 1991 Ford Bronco...off the grid... while all the rest of you can't get into your Tesla to escape the Zombie hoards...I will still be running them over.. >:D

Tesla drivers are locked out of their cars after Elon Musk's firm is hit with complete network outage and staff are blocked from processing orders - amid fears of possible HACK
Tesla has been hit by complete network outage starting around 11am ET
Internal systems are down, making it impossible for staff to process orders
On the customer side, some users cannot connect to their car in the app
The US and Europe are experiencing issues with what appears to be the app
The outage follows Tesla's Battery Day that many investors deemed a failure
Elon Musk had promised an innovation to cut prices of electric cars
However, the CEO said it may take another three years before that is possible
Stocks in Tesla Inc fell more than seven percent as markets opened Wednesday

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8764801/Tesla-hit-complete-network-outage-leaving-drivers-unable-connect-cars-using-mobile-app.html

Owners couldn't connect to their cars but they were not locked out. The unlocking is through Bluetooth so the network outage didn't affect that.

Back