Stock picks

Good excuse... talks trash about Irvine but won't disclose yours as a comparison because all your analysis collapses. Vacuum comparisons are worthless.

At least morekaos can be objective when it comes to Long Beach.

Good excuse... talks trash about Irvine but won't disclose yours as a comparison because all your analysis collapses. Vacuum comparisons are worthless.

At least morekaos can be objective when it comes to Long Beach.
No, he can't because he lives there. I don't live in Irvine so I can be objective about it... something that drives you nuts.

Maybe that's your issue, you don't know how to be objective. People can be, morekaos is as he has called out the pros/cons of Long Beach. You can't be objective because you only see one side of it, you have been so wrong about price and trends in Irvine but don't want to admit it. You may need to look up the definition of objectivity (like insurrection and armed).

Also, you know what is really creepy? Someone who is so obsessed on trashing a city he has no plans to live in. And is active on a forum about that city. At least Larry rented and bought in Irvine. Do you post on TalkArizona too? :)

Also, you know what is really creepy? Someone who is so obsessed on trashing a city he has no plans to live in. And is active on a forum about that city. At least Larry rented and bought in Irvine. Do you post on TalkArizona too? :)
And yet you've trashed many cities in your time here on TI... And you want me to say where I live so you can trash my city!

I was thinking of the increased insurance cost everyone is experiencing at the moment.
Do you think these higher insurance premiums is driving the stock market?

Insurance companies are getting record high premiums lately and they have to put it somewhere...
I had heard GEICO made Buffet a lot of money because he invested the cash from premiums.

I was thinking of the increased insurance cost everyone is experiencing at the moment.
Do you think these higher insurance premiums is driving the stock market?

Insurance companies are getting record high premiums lately and they have to put it somewhere...
I had heard GEICO made Buffet a lot of money because he invested the cash from premiums.

Buffett has a long and profitable relationship with GEICO. But before Buffett there was Benjamin Graham, who bought 50% of GEICO in 1948 for $712,000. Graham became the chairman of GEICO and by 1972, the investment had grown to $400 million in value. Buffett was rejected by Harvard and opted to attend Columbia University, where he studied under Benjamin Graham. Graham's impact on young Buffett was life-long, and Buffett would eventually buy out GEICO in 1995.

I own shares of Berkshire Hathaway and Fidelity Contra Fund, but I keep those positions to about 1:2 ratio to index funds (example, $100K BRK-B: $200K S&P 500 Index). I have concerns about post-Buffett Berkshire Hathaway and Post-Danoff Contra fund. I think the initial successors like Greg Abel will do a decent job, but going further down the road, well, look at Magellan Fund post-Peter Lynch.

Last edited:
LL is mistaken once again. I only trash Tustin Legacy where the Jamboree freeway and radioactive limes live.

We came very close to purchasing in Tustin.

And no one in the whole TI community has trashed any city as much as LL has trashed Irvine.

You know what that's called? Smelly jelly!!!

Why does the US government subsidize the car industry?

When you count tax revenue from activities related to car industry - sales, parts, service, worker's paychecks (9.6 million jobs), company revenue, etc., the industry contributes >$110 billion to State and >$126 billion to Federal tax revenue. The auto industry also generates many billions in FDI, R&D expenditure, and contributes to gasoline tax revenue. The State and Federal subsidies given to the auto industry is a fraction of the tax revenue collected.

Even in Singapore, where they have to limit number of cars on the road, the government charges $100,000 (USD) for 10-year COE (certificate to permit car ownership). So the cost of a Toyota Camry is OMV (car) + ARF (license) + COE = $150,000+. Taxes from car license and COE generates $5.4 billion USD or 7% of Singapore's government revenue. Do they give subsidies (rebates) for Vehicle Electrification efforts? Absolutely! Up to $29,600 USD ($40,000 SGD) for a Tesla, because they'll make the money right back in taxes.

This is very interesting and informative. Thanks for the details.

here we are again, ATHs.

Looking back, one of the best decisions I made was continually buy VOO since 2022. Sure I might have missed out on more gains, but it's been much more stress free.

S&P 500 index is one of the best investment choices with historical returns of 10.2% annually:

With Buffett's 90/10 model portfolio for his spouse, the above chart shows historical returns of 9.9% (with dividends reinvested) which is still very good.

Last edited:
here we are again, ATHs.

Looking back, one of the best decisions I made was continually buy VOO since 2022. Sure I might have missed out on more gains, but it's been much more stress free.
Hard to feel FOMO when you see the increasingly lower probabilities of active fund managers outperforming indexes the longer the time horizon. It’s like trying to find a needle in the haystack.

There are exceptional fund managers who have consistently out-performed the S&P 500, but I believe index fund should be your core holdings.

Peter Lynch managed the Fidelity Magellan Fund from 1977 to 1990, earning average returns of 29.2% before his retirement at age 46.

William Danoff managed the Fidelity Contrafund since 1990, and has out-performed the S&P 500 by 2.57% average annually. I own the Contrafund.

There are others like Joel Tillinghast, Sonu Kalra, John Roth, etc. who have also performed well. Investing in funds managed by star managers carry the risk of what happens after the manager retires.

It's also possible to beat the S&P 500 by managing your own portfolio via monthly ETF rotation strategy, but due to tax liability this is more suitable for tax deferred accounts. See "round robin" here:

^^ You can sign up for 14 day free access with just an email address and view the details. Not an endorsement of their products and services, for educational purpose only.

Last edited:
It's also possible to beat the S&P 500 by managing your own portfolio via monthly ETF rotation strategy, but due to tax liability this is more suitable for tax deferred accounts. See "round robin" here:

^^ You can sign up for 14 day free access with just an email address and view the details. Not an endorsement of their products and services, for educational purpose only.
Their system is based on Scott Juds' Sector Surfer strategies, which is what I use to manage my portfolios.

Their system is based on Scott Juds' Sector Surfer strategies, which is what I use to manage my portfolios.

^^^ this is actually a very good price. You pay just $10/month each for the portfolio model that you use, and still track models that you’re interested in via sandbox.

Currently eyeing “fidelity simple sectors”.

Back