IHB Marathon Team?

profette_IHB

Hey, is anyone planning on running in the OC Marathon (1/06/08)? Official marathon training just started, but it isn’t too late to join. The half marathon training (more IHB style??), starts Sat. October 20. The course starts at Newport Center and continues on through Irvine.

We have a group at work, but I'm thinking it would be better to go with the Cal Coast Track Club--the "official" training program.

I trained with them for about a month a few years ago before an injury sidelined me. They definitely have a great program and lots of people of varying fitness levels, and I hated having to quit. I highly recommend training with Cal Coast.

I completely agree about Cal Coast. I've been 'training' with them for 2 years now. Lately I've missed a bunch of weekends but it is a great group.

I participated in the last 2 OC Half Marathons but this year I'm going to try to do the PF Changs Marathon in January which is a week after the OC one so unfortunately I won't be able to do OC again.

i did the half marathon last year. i really hope they change the course this year. if i recall correctly the course went up san miguel toward newport coast dr, then to bonita canyon near the 73 on that stretch of road that eventually turns into culver. that road has been under construction for what seems like 15 yrs now. then up culver, right on university, and winding around in woodbridge. at this point the route uses bike paths which are extremely crowded. one point requires going over a tiny bridge over a flood channel which is wide enough for about 2 people. the latter half of the run (at least for half marathon) is along the channel eastward toward the spectrum, which is also very narrow. you pretty much had to weave in and out between people, especially all the young high school kids that ran together in a row. imagine how fun it would have been to end the route at the spectrum, as opposed to the parking lot of the mazda hq.

this was the best route the OC marathon had to offer? uncompleted roads through not-fully-built-out neighborhoods, tiny bike paths, corporate parks, and drainage systems?

this year i'm shooting for the pacific shoreline run in HB in february!

for a fun run, check out the urban dare which is like a 1-day scavenger hunt/amazing race. just did the LA one few wks ago and had a BLAST!

Wow, I wish I could do this but I can't run, I can Cycle 100 miles no problem, I just can't run very far...

In fact, a Friend called me the other Day and asked if I'd do a "Fun Run"...."isn't that a bit of an Oxymoron" I asked? How can anyone even put fun and run in the same sentence. At School we were forced to run as a form of punishment...;-)

nike does a great "fun run" every september in LA called the Run Hit Remix. its a great 5-mile run, featuring a stage at each mile marker with a different One-Hit Wonders. I missed it this year but last year they had young mc, digital underground, de la soul, vanilla ice, and a few more acts.

the course starts at the coliseum and ends again at the coliseum as you go through the tunnel and come out on the field. then on the field theres a concert. its about as much fun running as i could have ever imagined!

acpme,

Hate to disappoint you but I hear that the route for Pacific Shoreline isn't all that great, either. I did the 5k and it was literally straight up the street for 1.55 miles and back the other way for the last 1.55 miles. The nice part is that you're near the water. Are you planning on doing the full or half?

thats a bummer... but at least its somewhat scenic?

i'm done with any runs more than 10k. i can enjoy up to an hour of running but anything beyond that -- blergh...

<p>A friend of mine is training for the Mud run coming up this Sat. We run together a twice a week. She said it's 10K or 6mi. I was considering it but opted not to do it. I'm shooting for the Pacfic Shoreline in HB, 13 miles not the full 26.</p>

I’m really bummed about not doing the Mud run. My friend told me that they use a fire engine to hose down participants with water. My mind is swimming with images of my friend along with countless other hot females in athletic tops and tiny spandex running shorts being soaked with water and crawling thru mud. Since the marines are involved, you can count on those testosterone filled guys focusing the water cannon on chicks rather than guys. Jackpot! Sorry, but I had to go there

<p>Gee, why bother training for a marathon when you can crawl through the mud and be soaked to the skin with a fire engine hose? That's it. No more training for me. I'm sleeping in.</p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Profette,</p>

<p class="MsoNormal">I totally understand where you’re coming from. However, there’s a small contingent of women in the OC that aren’t exactly built for long distance, marathon type running.By built, I’m not referring to their level of fitness but how do I say this, they’re top heavy. This type of event appeals to them. They love showing off and receiving all the attention from the marines and other guys that participate in this event.</p>

<p class="MsoNormal"> </p>

<p>There is even a man-made river that you swim through in the middle of the course. There is a pretty killer hill at the end but it was fun. The mud run I attended had a festival afterwards so you can immediately replenish the calories that you burned off with hot dogs and nachos. </p>

<p>Only weird thing was taking an outdoors shower with like 300 other people at the same time. But based on the comments so far, that may not be a negative.</p>

Back