Drinking Water Poll

Another really simple poll... Where do you get the majority of your drinking water from. I realize that you probably have some combination, but just pick the most common one.

I don't like the taste of Irvine tap water, so I buy bottled water from the supermarket (not costco but that's how I voted) whichever brand is on sale. I use tap water for cooking and coffee & tea because bottled water gets to be too expensive. I think I'm going to look into getting a water filter. Lately my coffee has been having an awful taste like I didn't rinse all of the soap out of the pot.

We use Britta, it tastes better than out of the tap but I suspect it's just the chlorine neutralization and time to get icy cold in the fridge.

Bought a commercial RO for the Saltwater Fish. It takes the PPM. Particle count from around 300PPM to ZERO. It does make the water a little tasteless. But its great with coffee.

Silly to buy bottled water that costs more than gasoline dont you think.

I drink bottled water and cook with tap -- but I give my boys filtered tap so that they get the systemic fluoride that kids need. This is important. We started seeing more cavities among kids as the parents began giving them bottled water. Give your kids tap. It is especially important during their formation of permanent teeth. (They do sell fluoridated bottled water in the baby aisle.)

If the child is being breastfed... yes, they are getting everything they need. If they are bottle-fed, most powdered formulas do contain fluoride but pediatricians still recommend mixing it with bottled, low-fluoridated water (not tap water) although some will recommend fluoride-free since the formula contains it already (this is to prevent fluorosis - the condition that can cause white streaks or spots on the forming teeth.) If they are under two and therefore not using fluoridated toothpaste but drinking milk then milk has systemic fluoride and you should be fine. If the child is older but no longer breastfed, not drinking enough milk, not drinking any tap (or well water) or eating a well-balanced diet of other fluoride sources such as yams and fish then I'm sorry, but using fluoridated toothpaste is not enough. The child should have systemic fluoride to aid in mineralization of enamel. Keeping the sugar and bacteria off of the teeth in the first place is another topic entirely.

Back