debt advice update & Sad Tale/ warning about credit cards

ventouxbob_IHB

A few months ago I asked advice regarding paying off a car loan early or saving more. The input was mixed but appreciated.

At the time I had 16K to payoff a car. and only 5K in savings.

As fate may have it. My Boss came down with Oral cancer that spread also to a lymph node. This gave me a bad premonition and I decided to save more rather than pay extra on my car.

On Oct 31st I got laid off. A no fault lay off and I will not move to Orange county (Laguna Nigel) as planned.

Well I?m quite glad I saved more. My wife and me we took advice from people here. I have 13K in the bank.

We have no credit card balances and even though im laid off my wife makes money too and we are feeling pretty good about where we stand right now. Considering in Jan 2007 we had 9 K in credit card bills.

Not all is well in my family though. Thanks giving week-end. I met with my sister who is married and they have a 2-year-old daughter. She said she is in big trouble bills like crazy and a husband that is underemployed and over spending.

- my father and I gave her 2500 to pay off here car.

-we ran a full credit check on fair issack for both her and her husband. It could NOT BE any worse.

They Owe. $95,000 on credit cards. $42,000 Home equity loan (that was spent) and have a Mortgage with 162,000 principal and an ARM that resets soon.

UN EFFing Believable. my sister has always been hard working, frugal, responsible. much of this is her husbands spending.

The thing is they only make 65-75K a year combined. She cannot stop her husband from spending. he has many CC he lied about.

It looks like my sister will file bankrupts. Try to keep her house. not sure about getting 135K in debt dismissed.

well I cried a few times I cannot believe My BIG sister got in to such a mess in only 4 years of marriage.

They do not have joint checking or many shared credit cards. no communication or accountability.

also she did not know her husbands debts pre marriage.

Needless to Say I want to put her husband 6 feet under.

I guess my moral DEBT is not wealth. don?t abuse credit.

do a credit check for both parties before marriage and talk about and work On finances and make purchase decisions as a couple.

I have been married only 11 months first marriage. and we are on the same Page.

so very sad my sister was not. we will see if she ends up divorced also.

BOB.

<p>Your sister has a lot of company. This kind of spending is a sickness.</p>

<p>Don't give her any money. Give her love give her food, and a place to stay when she needs it. So sorry. My son is getting divorced, and it is very sad, in different ways.</p>

I'd worry more about the credit card interest rates than the rate reset on her ARM mortgage. All it takes is two missed (or less than minimum) credit card payments (on just one credit card) and presto, 29% interest rates resets across ALL credit cards on $95,000 of debt. Can you imagine $25,000 a year on interest? Sadly, it'll probably be easier to walk away from the mortgage and the HELOC than it will be from the credit card companies. Both will take a huge hit on their credit scores, but maybe that's a good thing...

<em>"On Oct 31st I got laid off. A no fault lay off and I will not move to Orange county (Laguna Nigel) as planned. Well I’m quite glad I saved more."</em>

That is unfortunate that this happened to you, but I imagine it is quite a bit less stressful now that you have savings and little debt. You prepared well for the coming recession. It is too bad your sister cannot say the same.

<p>Last night our neighbor, who is currently in foreclosure on his townhouse, had someone banging on the front door and demanding money with cursing and threats. Drugs maybe? Borrowed money from a friend or bookie or something? Its amazing how quick things go sour. Other neighbor bought for 220K in 2002, this guy bought for 465K two years later and recently lost his job. Lots of damage gonna go down in the next few years, by my experience and thinking, we are in the 2nd or 3rd inning and its gonna get ugly.</p>

<p> </p>

Bob,

Sorry to hear about your situation and that of your sister. I hope the coming New Year will be better for you. Take care.

Thank yu all for the kind words. I dont know how my sister got in such trouble. I only know that it may have been prevented or mitigated if she h seeked real Help and or advice from. Family, or finace advisors. They did not refect on the situation but stuck heads in sand. They were unwilling to sacrifise wants to take care of the needs.

It Scares The Hell Out of ME. and I learn from others mistakes. WE will live with in our Means.

I will be fine. i work in Clinical research and the market is quite good. I applyed to 7 positions on Oct 31, 2007. I am eligable for unemloyment for a while.

not worryed but i do miss the extra income since my plan is to pay off. my MINI cooper & my student loan by Aug 2008.

BOB

Back