Costa Mesa...good location gone wrong!

[quote author="CalifonianAtHeart" date=1252238590][quote author="CM_Dude" date=1252120371]Costa Mesa is going to be an interesting place to watch in the next few decades. A large swath of the southwest part of the city is dominated by the Freedom Homes tract - consisting of 880 homes that were built in the early 1950s. They were originally 1034 sq. ft., 3 bdrm/1 bath with a carport and fairly large lot on nice wide streets. The city has been pretty progressive with regard to residential remodeling, recognizing that improving the housing stock will improve many other things. The City prepared remodeling plans for the most common Freedom Home remodels, so that someone can short-cut the whole planning and architectural process. They also had an incentive program which waived fees for remodels as well.

I just stumbled across this post, and will be glad to provide more information to anyone who is interested. Costa Mesa is a fantastic city that has massive potential, as well as some big problems. We also have a determined City Council and Planning Commission (for the most part) that wants to see Costa Mesa rise up to its proper place in the coastal OC hierarchy.</blockquote>

Well as someone who has been following this thread for a while, I'm glad that someone else has discovered this thread because for a while this thread was sitting pretty dormant. This is unfortunate because I was enjoying the posts in this thread discussing Costa Mesa which for whatever reason seems to not get nearly as much attention as other cities in Orange County. Maybe it doesn't get mentioned all that much because it has too many problems like Nude mentioned and its just not that desirable a place to live, but I can't help but hope what CM_Dude has to say is true because it really does seem like Costa Mesa is good location gone wrong. Despite that prognosis by many I still hope to live there someday cause I love Newport Beach but the only way I could possibly afford anything close it it would be to live in Costa Mesa. Speaking of which anyone know any nice apartment/condo/townhouse or SFR that can be rented for under $2000 and is at least 2br1bath with W/D hookups. I am looking to move to California next year and have found places listed online in Costa Mesa that seem to fit this description but I don't know if I will be putting my wife and I in the ghetto or not; not really knowing enough about the neighborhoods.

Thanks in advance to anyone that stumbles across this post and happens to have any good advice for a place to live.</blockquote>

I'm really curious what it is about Costa Mesa that stands out other than it's proximity to Newport Beach. What is your definition of a good place to live? I grew up in Costa Mesa and lived in either Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley or Huntington Beach until the last 8 years in North Santa Ana. I attended Estancia High and some of the neighboring schools to those Nude mentioned. It might be that you are looking for an area like Mesa Verde in Costa Mesa, but I can't really tell from your post. Stepping_up and Freedom CM would also be great people to talk to regarding the current state of Costa Mesa. They have been able to help me get a better picture of the city compared to my own rather outdated view. Some of the areas that CM Dude mentioned definitely were not great places to live when I was growing up but it does sound as though they have changed for the better. I can tell you that I did love living a bike ride from the beach and having sailing as my PE class for two years in high school. My parents definitely weren't wealthy and this is a location that is hard to beat for the price, if you love the beach and cooler ocean weather. I guess my tastes have changed because I prefer my older, more established historic neighborhood with the big trees to pretty much anything in the areas I spent most of my life. Good luck. Try sending a PM to those who are the most knowledgeable about Costa Mesa if you really are that interested or find a house you like enough to buy.

[quote author="Nude" date=1252240313]Go Eagles!

Tmare, was Mr. Cheely teaching english when you were there?</blockquote>

I'm afraid I am probably much older than you. I remember Ms. Brown's AP English though, as well as four years with Barbara Van Holt, the much beloved drama teacher who just held my brother's rehearsal dinner for his wedding at her house two weeks ago. For the most part, those names have really disappeared for me, with the exception of a few memorable ones and those I would recognize if I heard them. God, I sound like an old lady!

[quote author="CalifonianAtHeart" date=1252238590][quote author="CM_Dude" date=1252120371]Costa Mesa is going to be an interesting place to watch in the next few decades. A large swath of the southwest part of the city is dominated by the Freedom Homes tract - consisting of 880 homes that were built in the early 1950s. They were originally 1034 sq. ft., 3 bdrm/1 bath with a carport and fairly large lot on nice wide streets. The city has been pretty progressive with regard to residential remodeling, recognizing that improving the housing stock will improve many other things. The City prepared remodeling plans for the most common Freedom Home remodels, so that someone can short-cut the whole planning and architectural process. They also had an incentive program which waived fees for remodels as well.

I just stumbled across this post, and will be glad to provide more information to anyone who is interested. Costa Mesa is a fantastic city that has massive potential, as well as some big problems. We also have a determined City Council and Planning Commission (for the most part) that wants to see Costa Mesa rise up to its proper place in the coastal OC hierarchy.</blockquote>

Well as someone who has been following this thread for a while, I'm glad that someone else has discovered this thread because for a while this thread was sitting pretty dormant. This is unfortunate because I was enjoying the posts in this thread discussing Costa Mesa which for whatever reason seems to not get nearly as much attention as other cities in Orange County. Maybe it doesn't get mentioned all that much because it has too many problems like Nude mentioned and its just not that desirable a place to live, but I can't help but hope what CM_Dude has to say is true because it really does seem like Costa Mesa is good location gone wrong. Despite that prognosis by many I still hope to live there someday cause I love Newport Beach but the only way I could possibly afford anything close it it would be to live in Costa Mesa. Speaking of which anyone know any nice apartment/condo/townhouse or SFR that can be rented for under $2000 and is at least 2br1bath with W/D hookups. I am looking to move to California next year and have found places listed online in Costa Mesa that seem to fit this description but I don't know if I will be putting my wife and I in the ghetto or not; not really knowing enough about the neighborhoods.

Thanks in advance to anyone that stumbles across this post and happens to have any good advice for a place to live.</blockquote>

Depends on what you are looking for - good schools, parks, etc. The Eastside is great, I live near Newport Harbor High School, and my area is great. Lots of parks, nice neighborhoods, close proximity to everything on 17th Street. BTW, 17th street was just redone, and is home to MANY fine shops. The stretch between Dover and Newport is home to three supermarkets (Ralph's, Ralph's Fresh Fare ands Vons), a Mother's Market, Santa Monica Seafood, Kean, Peet's, Avanti Cafe, La Cave, Garduno's, Haute Cakes, etc. just to name a few. Check local realtors, there was just a 3bdrm SFR on Broadway (great street) for lease, and it was $2000/mo. There are also quite a few townhomes on the Eastside. I'd avoid any big apartment complex in Costa Mesa, there are too many good duplexes, triplexes, etc.

[quote author="tmare" date=1252239810]

I'm really curious what it is about Costa Mesa that stands out other than it's proximity to Newport Beach. What is your definition of a good place to live? I grew up in Costa Mesa and lived in either Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley or Huntington Beach until the last 8 years in North Santa Ana. I attended Estancia High and some of the neighboring schools to those Nude mentioned. It might be that you are looking for an area like Mesa Verde in Costa Mesa, but I can't really tell from your post. Stepping_up and Freedom CM would also be great people to talk to regarding the current state of Costa Mesa. They have been able to help me get a better picture of the city compared to my own rather outdated view. Some of the areas that CM Dude mentioned definitely were not great places to live when I was growing up but it does sound as though they have changed for the better. I can tell you that I did love living a bike ride from the beach and having sailing as my PE class for two years in high school. My parents definitely weren't wealthy and this is a location that is hard to beat for the price, if you love the beach and cooler ocean weather. I guess my tastes have changed because I prefer my older, more established historic neighborhood with the big trees to pretty much anything in the areas I spent most of my life. Good luck. Try sending a PM to those who are the most knowledgeable about Costa Mesa if you really are that interested or find a house you like enough to buy.</blockquote>

Well that's really just it: the proximity to Newport Beach.

I have been to Southern California tons of times before and that's how I grew to love it there and why I want to figure out how to move there next year. However most of the times that I visited were when I was younger for family trips to visit my grandparents (who live in Orange) and go to Disneyland. So I haven't spent a lot of time there while I was in charge of getting my self around thus making it more difficult to decide where I would like to live.

My most recent trip to California though we got to stay on Balboa island in Newport Beach for a few days and I loved hanging out at the beach, really enjoyed the weather (which never seemed to get too hot like it can even just a little bit inland), and I really loved the look and feel of Newport and surrounding areas. So after my trip I looked into what it would take to try and live in Newport and it took my breath away so I figured that I would have to settle for something close instead and Costa Mesa seemed like a good option cause of its location and its more affordable housing (compared to Newport Beach). And if I can somehow live a bike's ride away from the beach and not pay through the nose that would definitely be awesome.

[quote author="CalifonianAtHeart" date=1252244624][quote author="tmare" date=1252239810]

I'm really curious what it is about Costa Mesa that stands out other than it's proximity to Newport Beach. What is your definition of a good place to live? I grew up in Costa Mesa and lived in either Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley or Huntington Beach until the last 8 years in North Santa Ana. I attended Estancia High and some of the neighboring schools to those Nude mentioned. It might be that you are looking for an area like Mesa Verde in Costa Mesa, but I can't really tell from your post. Stepping_up and Freedom CM would also be great people to talk to regarding the current state of Costa Mesa. They have been able to help me get a better picture of the city compared to my own rather outdated view. Some of the areas that CM Dude mentioned definitely were not great places to live when I was growing up but it does sound as though they have changed for the better. I can tell you that I did love living a bike ride from the beach and having sailing as my PE class for two years in high school. My parents definitely weren't wealthy and this is a location that is hard to beat for the price, if you love the beach and cooler ocean weather. I guess my tastes have changed because I prefer my older, more established historic neighborhood with the big trees to pretty much anything in the areas I spent most of my life. Good luck. Try sending a PM to those who are the most knowledgeable about Costa Mesa if you really are that interested or find a house you like enough to buy.</blockquote>

Well that's really just it: the proximity to Newport Beach.

I have been to Southern California tons of times before and that's how I grew to love it there and why I want to figure out how to move there next year. However most of the times that I visited were when I was younger for family trips to visit my grandparents (who live in Orange) and go to Disneyland. So I haven't spent a lot of time there while I was in charge of getting my self around thus making it more difficult to decide where I would like to live.

My most recent trip to California though we got to stay on Balboa island in Newport Beach for a few days and I loved hanging out at the beach, really enjoyed the weather (which never seemed to get too hot like it can even just a little bit inland), and I really loved the look and feel of Newport and surrounding areas. So after my trip I looked into what it would take to try and live in Newport and it took my breath away so I figured that I would have to settle for something close instead and Costa Mesa seemed like a good option cause of its location and its more affordable housing (compared to Newport Beach). And if I can somehow live a bike's ride away from the beach and not pay through the nose that would definitely be awesome.</blockquote>

Spend some time checking out the areas CM Dude mentions as well as Mesa Verde (a much longer bike ride to the beach, but what the hell, you'll get into shape). Not sure what your budget is, if it's not that big (under 500K), you'll probably want to look into the Freedom homes area (where I grew up).

[quote author="CM_Dude" date=1252244335]

Depends on what you are looking for - good schools, parks, etc. The Eastside is great, I live near Newport Harbor High School, and my area is great. Lots of parks, nice neighborhoods, close proximity to everything on 17th Street. BTW, 17th street was just redone, and is home to MANY fine shops. The stretch between Dover and Newport is home to three supermarkets (Ralph's, Ralph's Fresh Fare ands Vons), a Mother's Market, Santa Monica Seafood, Kean, Peet's, Avanti Cafe, La Cave, Garduno's, Haute Cakes, etc. just to name a few. Check local realtors, there was just a 3bdrm SFR on Broadway (great street) for lease, and it was $2000/mo. There are also quite a few townhomes on the Eastside. I'd avoid any big apartment complex in Costa Mesa, there are too many good duplexes, triplexes, etc.</blockquote>

I want to thank you and everyone else for the quick replies.

You listed a lot of the things I would like. My wife and I don't have any kids right now so schools aren't that big a concern however I would think a place within the boundaries a good school district would be a safe place to live which is probably the most important thing to me. It seems most people agree the Eastside is pretty livable so it probably is just a matter of finding something I can afford. You did mention working with local realtors which I never thought to do because I just planned on renting until I've saved a decent downpayment, so I didn't think they could really help me find an apartment. I guess I have been mostly concentrating on apartments because that's what I'm living in now and that's what I'm used to. But you suggest avoiding big apartment complexes and look to some duplexes and triplexes. The main reason why I haven't considered a duplex or a triplex, probably, is when I was looking for place to live before I found my current residence, I did look at some duplexes but they seemed really poor quality compared to what I get at my apartment for a similar rent. Maybe if you could get me started with a couple examples of some nice places I can be convinced that the *plexes are a better way to go over a big apartment complex. I would really appreciate more options to consider.

[quote author="tmare" date=1252242007][quote author="Nude" date=1252240313]Go Eagles!

I'm afraid I am probably much older than you. I remember Ms. Brown's AP English though, as well as four years with Barbara Van Holt, the much beloved drama teacher who just held my brother's rehearsal dinner for his wedding at her house two weeks ago. For the most part, those names have really disappeared for me, with the exception of a few memorable ones and those I would recognize if I heard them. God, I sound like an old lady!</blockquote>

I was class of '88, I don't think you are that much older than me. Drama was full, so I took Television Production which had better field trips ;) I took my wife by there on one of our Disney vacations and she was shocked that the classrooms had no windows.

[quote author="CalifonianAtHeart" date=1252247661]I want to thank you and everyone else for the quick replies.

You listed a lot of the things I would like. My wife and I don't have any kids right now so schools aren't that big a concern however I would think a place within the boundaries a good school district would be a safe place to live which is probably the most important thing to me. It seems most people agree the Eastside is pretty livable so it probably is just a matter of finding something I can afford. You did mention working with local realtors which I never thought to do because I just planned on renting until I've saved a decent downpayment, so I didn't think they could really help me find an apartment. I guess I have been mostly concentrating on apartments because that's what I'm living in now and that's what I'm used to. But you suggest avoiding big apartment complexes and look to some duplexes and triplexes. The main reason why I haven't considered a duplex or a triplex, probably, is when I was looking for place to live before I found my current residence, I did look at some duplexes but they seemed really poor quality compared to what I get at my apartment for a similar rent. Maybe if you could get me started with a couple examples of some nice places I can be convinced that the *plexes are a better way to go over a big apartment complex. I would really appreciate more options to consider.</blockquote>

And here is where you are going to run into problems: nice apartment complexes in Costa Mesa are really hard to find. Where there *are* apartments, you are generally going to find you are on one or the other societal extreme, which means you are either paying way too much, or are in the barrio. Compared to the complexes run by The Irvine Company, there is only one or two nice complexes in Costa Mesa and they are nowhere near the beach. Keep in mind, most of Costa Mesa was built out in the 50's and 60's and there really isn't any place left to build that doesn't include tearing down existing structures. So when I say "nice", I am being generous because they really can't compete with places built in the last 20 years.

I would suggest that if you really want to shop before you buy, that you rent in an <a href="http://www.rental-living.com/">IAC complex </a> along the 405 corridor until you get your bearings. You can take the 405 to the 55 south and it will drop you right into the heart of the older, residential areas of Costa Mesa. I know that seems backwards, renting in Irvine to buy in Costa Mesa, but you'll find a nice apartment easier that way and you won't have to worry about your car being sold to Midnight Auto Supply while you are sleeping ;)

[quote author="Nude" date=1252248253][quote author="tmare" date=1252242007][quote author="Nude" date=1252240313]Go Eagles!

I'm afraid I am probably much older than you. I remember Ms. Brown's AP English though, as well as four years with Barbara Van Holt, the much beloved drama teacher who just held my brother's rehearsal dinner for his wedding at her house two weeks ago. For the most part, those names have really disappeared for me, with the exception of a few memorable ones and those I would recognize if I heard them. God, I sound like an old lady!</blockquote>

I was class of '88, I don't think you are that much older than me. Drama was full, so I took Television Production which had better field trips ;) I took my wife by there on one of our Disney vacations and she was shocked that the classrooms had no windows.</blockquote>

Class of '83. Yes, Estancia does give me a bit of a claustrophobic feeling. That, and the halls were so crowded between classes. I remember accidentally tripping this poor girl with cerebral palsy when my foot hit one of her crutches, I felt so bad for that girl having to walk through those crowded halls. She must have went "splat" on her face at least once a week.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1252283141]All of you are so young.</blockquote>

I am class of '01 (CdM though). Does that make me the baby of the group?

[quote author="Nude" date=1252249727][quote author="CalifonianAtHeart" date=1252247661]I want to thank you and everyone else for the quick replies.

You listed a lot of the things I would like. My wife and I don't have any kids right now so schools aren't that big a concern however I would think a place within the boundaries a good school district would be a safe place to live which is probably the most important thing to me. It seems most people agree the Eastside is pretty livable so it probably is just a matter of finding something I can afford. You did mention working with local realtors which I never thought to do because I just planned on renting until I've saved a decent downpayment, so I didn't think they could really help me find an apartment. I guess I have been mostly concentrating on apartments because that's what I'm living in now and that's what I'm used to. But you suggest avoiding big apartment complexes and look to some duplexes and triplexes. The main reason why I haven't considered a duplex or a triplex, probably, is when I was looking for place to live before I found my current residence, I did look at some duplexes but they seemed really poor quality compared to what I get at my apartment for a similar rent. Maybe if you could get me started with a couple examples of some nice places I can be convinced that the *plexes are a better way to go over a big apartment complex. I would really appreciate more options to consider.</blockquote>

And here is where you are going to run into problems: nice apartment complexes in Costa Mesa are really hard to find. Where there *are* apartments, you are generally going to find you are on one or the other societal extreme, which means you are either paying way too much, or are in the barrio. Compared to the complexes run by The Irvine Company, there is only one or two nice complexes in Costa Mesa and they are nowhere near the beach. Keep in mind, most of Costa Mesa was built out in the 50's and 60's and there really isn't any place left to build that doesn't include tearing down existing structures. So when I say "nice", I am being generous because they really can't compete with places built in the last 20 years.

I would suggest that if you really want to shop before you buy, that you rent in an <a href="http://www.rental-living.com/">IAC complex </a> along the 405 corridor until you get your bearings. You can take the 405 to the 55 south and it will drop you right into the heart of the older, residential areas of Costa Mesa. I know that seems backwards, renting in Irvine to buy in Costa Mesa, but you'll find a nice apartment easier that way and you won't have to worry about your car being sold to Midnight Auto Supply while you are sleeping ;)</blockquote>

Nude is exactly right - most of the big complexes in Costa Mesa are in the barrio or centered around Orange Coast College, which is a problem in my mind. Too many youngsters near OCC and all the associated drama. I like quiet. There are a couple off Bristol as well, along Paularino and Baker, but they are older. The Enclave is a new IAC complex right next to South Coast Plaza that is quite nice. I'd check that out.

Local realtors may know of SFRs for rent. I know that Burr White has some Costa Mesa listings, for instance.

[quote author="CM_Dude" date=1252334158][quote author="Nude" date=1252249727][quote author="CalifonianAtHeart" date=1252247661]I want to thank you and everyone else for the quick replies.

I would suggest that if you really want to shop before you buy, that you rent in an <a href="http://www.rental-living.com/">IAC complex </a> along the 405 corridor until you get your bearings. You can take the 405 to the 55 south and it will drop you right into the heart of the older, residential areas of Costa Mesa. I know that seems backwards, renting in Irvine to buy in Costa Mesa, but you'll find a nice apartment easier that way and you won't have to worry about your car being sold to Midnight Auto Supply while you are sleeping ;)</blockquote>

Nude is exactly right - most of the big complexes in Costa Mesa are in the barrio or centered around Orange Coast College, which is a problem in my mind. Too many youngsters near OCC and all the associated drama. I like quiet. There are a couple off Bristol as well, along Paularino and Baker, but they are older. The Enclave is a new IAC complex right next to South Coast Plaza that is quite nice. I'd check that out.

Local realtors may know of SFRs for rent. I know that Burr White has some Costa Mesa listings, for instance.</blockquote>

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced anything similar, but my teammates and I had some bad experiences with Burr White. My teammates (UCI Tennis) and I rented a house on Seashore on the Peninsula. Burr White was completely unprofessional and unresponsive through our entire 3 years there.

If looking for SFRs, definitely hit up IR2 and he will help you out.

[quote author="Minimorty" date=1252362653][quote author="CM_Dude" date=1252334158][quote author="Nude" date=1252249727][quote author="CalifonianAtHeart" date=1252247661]I want to thank you and everyone else for the quick replies.

Local realtors may know of SFRs for rent. I know that Burr White has some Costa Mesa listings, for instance.</blockquote>

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced anything similar, but my teammates and I had some bad experiences with Burr White. My teammates (UCI Tennis) and I rented a house on Seashore on the Peninsula. Burr White was completely unprofessional and unresponsive through our entire 3 years there.

If looking for SFRs, definitely hit up IR2 and he will help you out.</blockquote>

That is good to know, as my experience is second-hand through my brother. They have had good experiences, but it may be the property owner liking them.

[quote author="CM_Dude" date=1252367903][quote author="Minimorty" date=1252362653][quote author="CM_Dude" date=1252334158][quote author="Nude" date=1252249727][quote author="CalifonianAtHeart" date=1252247661]I want to thank you and everyone else for the quick replies.

If looking for SFRs, definitely hit up IR2 and he will help you out.</blockquote>

That is good to know, as my experience is second-hand through my brother. They have had good experiences, but it may be the property owner liking them.</blockquote>

Could be. We actually never knew the owner. We dealt exclusively through Burr White and I would never use or recommend them.

[quote author="Nude" date=1252249727]

I gave Nude's suggestion some thought and I decided to stop trying to be so myopic about wanting to live in Costa Mesa without really knowing anything about it. Especially when the choices aren't very appealing (barrio vs paying way to much). So I decided to do some searching in Irvine as well and I think I found one that I think I could be happy in:

<a href="http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/192-Alicante-Aisle-Unit-210_Irvine_CA_92614_1112386644">Listing I found</a>

It even has gone down in price since I first found the listing (which I hope is a trend that continues to happen). I think compared to many other properties I have seen in the past, this one seems priced pretty reasonably and again without really know much about the area (just going off of google maps) it appears to be a nice apartment complex in a pretty nice area with pretty good access to most things in Orange County that I am familiar with (the beach etc.). My question to the those kind enough to answer would be if anyone knows much about this complex and or area and if they could give me a general idea of life around there. What kinda things are included in the rent (water, trash etc.)? Any special restaurants or shops that would be worth visiting? Also I have to ask, for my wife's benefit, if there are any really good cupcake shops anywhere nearby? :)

It's dated, but here is your <a href="http://foodfrenzy.freedomblogging.com/2008/05/28/oc-cupcake-challenge-the-results/1140/">OC guide to cupcakes.</a>

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/many-cupcake-little-2065836-cupcakes-treats">And one more article.</a>

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1253486415]It's dated, but here is your <a href="http://foodfrenzy.freedomblogging.com/2008/05/28/oc-cupcake-challenge-the-results/1140/">OC guide to cupcakes.</a>

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/many-cupcake-little-2065836-cupcakes-treats">And one more article.</a></blockquote>

Thanks for those links when we visit So. California later this year those will definitely help my wife get her cupcake fix ;)

Back