Caserta plan 2 or Helena plan 1

mikebruin

Just wanted to get outside opinions.  Prices are fairly comparable.  I think both are great.  I like the village/community in Cypress Village because its completed and there seems to be more parks and green areas.  I also like the downstairs bedroom layout for the Caserta plan 2.  One additional benefit is that both the elementary and middle schools are within walking distance.

Helena plan 1, the yard is larger, and seems like an actual backyard (still small), but Caserta plan 2 has a side courtyard that looks even smaller.  Overall I prefer the layout of Helena plan 1 over Caserta plan 2.  The only things I wish I could change for Helena plan 1 would be a somewhat larger laundry room for side by side machines (L-shaped layout is different, would prefer a standard square shaped laundry room), and there is no bathtub in the master bathroom.  Helena will have Eastwood elementary within walking distance, but I believe it is zoned to Jeffrey middle school in Cypress Village, so that would require a drive.  The high school is currently zoned to Northwood which I think is slightly better than Irvine High (Caserta), but not sure if zoning is subject to change.  Is it possible that Helena gets zoned to Portola High?  Seems it might be a far drive.  Also, at Helena we would have to endure a couple of years of construction, I imagine, whereas Cypress Village is more or less complete.

Thoughts?

between the 2, I would choose Helena

It looks more like a stonegate east/cambria while Caserta is true condo look..for future resale

Also lower tax rate in eastwood vs caserta
the drives to schools are a wash..it's all irvine...

Thank you both.  I am leaning that way, but timing and family circumstances might dictate my actions.  Only time will tell.

eastwood village homes will stick with northwood high in 2016-2017:
https://www.iusd.org/enrollment/images/2016HSBoundaries.jpg

i don't think you should let construction be your main barrier as it'll be built out before you know it. your immediate surrounding/neighborhood will be build-out within a year.

personally i would go with helena plan 1 over caserta plan 2 in terms of value/location/"bigger" lot and less condo feel - have you thought about indigo plan 2, which is the bigger/upgraded version of caserta?http://www.calpacifichomes.com/neighborhoods/indigo/floorplans/2/

(of course portola spring 2 is out of the way and may not be in your plans at all)

i would agreed though that the caserta floor plan is better. downstairs bedroom, each have their own bathroom - that's a nice plus for option/guests.

its a tough call.

try to think of other small factors? e.g., neighborhood makeup if you have a child of a certain age. try to get a feel of the community/potential neighbors that you may be around? that wasn't something i considered when i bought a few years ago in another city and it made me realize having other neighbors with newborn/toddler would have been helpful (additional social circle to work things out with as a parent) and adds more of a community feel.

right now in PP my toddler daughter has a great friend with the neighbor's daughter of similar age a few house down. its not a deal breaker or anything but its a nice additional factor if you need to weigh things more.

Thank you capboba.

Actually, community and family is pulling me towards Caserta, even though I agree that Helena may be a better value and potentially better for resale.  Currently renting, and Caserta is available sooner.  Also, potential newborn on the way, and not sure I like the idea of subjecting the newborn to potential construction dust/pollution/noise.  And timing of availability for Helena might coincide with newborn's due date.  Might be too hectic, and I'd rather be settled in long before due date (by at least 2-3 months) so we can prepare for the little one.

In the end I think I may sacrifice my own selfish wants for what I think will be best for baby.

Thanks again for your input!

undecided said:
Thank you capboba.

Actually, community and family is pulling me towards Caserta, even though I agree that Helena may be a better value and potentially better for resale.  Currently renting, and Caserta is available sooner.  Also, potential newborn on the way, and not sure I like the idea of subjecting the newborn to potential construction dust/pollution/noise.  And timing of availability for Helena might coincide with newborn's due date.  Might be too hectic, and I'd rather be settled in long before due date (by at least 2-3 months) so we can prepare for the little one.

In the end I think I may sacrifice my own selfish wants for what I think will be best for baby.

Thanks again for your input!

One of the reasons I bought in Helena is because I feel that cypress village is too close to the freeway for me. So if you're thinking about new born with pollution and noise, Casserta isn't too far off from the 5 freeway.

Another good point.  For me it's still a very tough call.  If I had the luxury of waiting it out, I'd probably opt for Helena.  but I think I'm cutting the timing too close, and I think I really need to be settled into the new place before due date.  Can't live in the current apt (way too small, was supposed to be a temporary situation) with a newborn.  New Caserta extension is a little further from 5 freeway than the original Caserta location.  Thanks again for your input.

undecided said:
Another good point.  For me it's still a very tough call.  If I had the luxury of waiting it out, I'd probably opt for Helena.  but I think I'm cutting the timing too close, and I think I really need to be settled into the new place before due date.  Can't live in the current apt (way too small, was supposed to be a temporary situation) with a newborn.  New Caserta extension is a little further from 5 freeway than the original Caserta location.  Thanks again for your input.

yeah first three month is a bitch with a newborn, no matter how easy the baby is.

we had to deal with closing on the house while baby was less than a month old, then deal with an eventual move/prep home. i think if timing is a huge factor, get what's readily available vs juggling multiple things at once. not good for anyone involved.

caserta/cypress village is also a more centralize location (which is funny because when I was growing up this was the outskirt of irvine)

who knows, you might find yourself upsizing in a few years if the numbers worked out etc. we thought we would stay in aliso viejo for awhile but here we are, in irvine.

Back