Capistrano in SGE

Moving2irvine

Hi all,

We are thinking of purchasing the Plan 3 in Capistrano.  We like the plan, except the part that you can't really view the TV directly with how the great room is designed.  Anyone bought a house there?  what's your thoughts with the sales, the non-existing driveway, the lot size...etc?  Thanks. :)

Would you pay more if it were detached?

Stonegate will be selling San Marcos which is almost the same exact floorplans as Capistrano except they are not attached and are a tad bit bigger.

We have thought of that, but the sales person in Capistrano told my husband that it will be about 100K more.  So we thought we could use that money to buy a bigger lot (if there is any...) and add some upgrades. 

Would you estimate that with all the cost for landscape...etc, by the time you move into a new house, it will be at least 100K more than what's listed?

You probably won't spend more $100k on upgrades or "bigger" lot.

And while I always tell everyone to manage their budget, you should also consider the non-material factors such as location, privacy and convenience.

I'm not a fan of attached products and I find the Stonegate proper area much more compelling than Stonegate East. Since we have kids, the distance to the elementary school has sway on us and I feel that the neighborhood itself is a bit more open than SGE.

One other thing... take your time. If you're not in a hurry... don't feel pressured you have to buy now if you can wait. There are quite a few homes going up in the next few years and even if prices were to soften only by 5-10%, that could be significant savings depending on what/where you are buying.

We are not in a hurry to move, since our kid is only 2 and half.  :D  We also like SG (or SGE) better than PS.  PS seems too far out from everything.  That's why we are not considering Seville or Ironwood. 

We will be going from a SFR, medium size backyard, real drive way, and with no one in the back (a wilderness park) to a small, tight attached house.  On the bright side, less cleaning in the house, and do not need a gardener, or fear of coyote when the kid is outside.  :p

Do you think it will really be 100K more in SG?  i do want a slightly bigger yard, plus i like the layout of the greatroom a bit more....

irvinehomeowner said:
You probably won't spend more $100k on upgrades or "bigger" lot.

And while I always tell everyone to manage their budget, you should also consider the non-material factors such as location, privacy and convenience.

I'm not a fan of attached products and I find the Stonegate proper area much more compelling than Stonegate East. Since we have kids, the distance to the elementary school has sway on us and I feel that the neighborhood itself is a bit more open than SGE.

One other thing... take your time. If you're not in a hurry... don't feel pressured you have to buy now if you can wait. There are quite a few homes going up in the next few years and even if prices were to soften only by 5-10%, that could be significant savings depending on what/where you are buying.

I think this is great advice, stonegate proper will be a much nicer place to live than east which is clearly a density play to maximize land value.

I'm bullish on housing but TIC is introducing quite a few new product lines by this summer and I don't think they've segmented the market very well.  There's been a lot of hype on sales rates, but remember, Capistrano in a detached configuration is going to be like Santa Cruz by Van Daele whose sales have languished.  Once Winter hits and sales rates slow down, expect some panic to set in from an rookie home building team.  Also remember that Irv Pac's earnings goals aren't being driven by the relatively easy going wall st. investors compared to a controlling billionaire who's running out of time and has quite a few more trophy buildings to buy.

Moving2irvine said:
Do you think it will really be 100K more in SG?
I don't think it CAN be $100k more, but maybe close to it.

According to the VillagesOfIrvine website, Capistrano Plan 3 starts in the low $600k and San Marcos Plan 3 starts at the high $600k... so maybe only like $60k more (assuming $620k vs. $680k).

rexmiller said:
I'm bullish on housing but TIC is introducing quite a few new product lines by this summer and I don't think they've segmented the market very well.  There's been a lot of hype on sales rates, but remember, Capistrano in a detached configuration is going to be like Santa Cruz by Van Daele whose sales have languished.  Once Winter hits and sales rates slow down, expect some panic to set in from an rookie home building team.  Also remember that Irv Pac's earnings goals aren't being driven by the relatively easy going wall st. investors compared to a controlling billionaire who's running out of time and has quite a few more trophy buildings to buy.

I'm bearish on housing through 2012, but I've been thinking about TIC's product offerings since late last year. I don't understand the price points that TIC and their builders have set.

It seems like a lot of TIC product is languishing on the MLS now, and the stuff that is sitting out there is priced the same as comparable products that are forthcoming. Some of the Santa Cruz homes are sitting for 1-2 months at $303 a square foot. I used to think it was certain segments on the price spectrum, but you will also find some brand new Casero plans sitting for the same amount of time.

I keep asking myself, when are TIC and their builders going to wake up? :-\

Back